• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doubtful of the moonlanding

Servant_of_the_One1

This question is messing my head:
Why cant mankind repeat the moon landing if that ever happened in the 60's?

Dont say its about money! Iam sure all the rich people and middle class can donate for moon landing!
Dont say its about fear for human loss! Iam sure there are volunteers ready to fall as martyrs for science!

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Dont say its about money! Iam sure all the rich people and middle class can donate for moon landing!
Dont say its about fear for human loss! Iam sure there are volunteers ready to fall as martyrs for science!
Apollo_16_site.jpg

leibowde84

Veteran Member

The US has landed on the moon with manned spacecraft 6 times!! Why would they lie about doing it that many times?

Laika

Premium Member

Because we live in a world that has become content to rest on the achievements of past eras, knows only cynicism and contempt for noble ideals and has narrowed its horizions to that which is within instant reach of our ego and already feels lost in the emptiness of space. I'd love to say that we have politicians with the ambition and vision to do it, but really, we've become so small that we'd rather be idle than face the possibility of failure. It's not the money or the technology. it's us. We stopped belieiving these things were possible. Its why we question whether it happened at all.

"We chose to go to the Moon in this decad and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challange is one we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone and one we intend to win."

leibowde84

Veteran Member

They repeated the moon landing 5 times after the initial landing in 1969. Your question is nonsensical.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

As I posted in the other thread.
It's not about "can't".
Tis a resource allocation choice.
There are better uses of our space exploration dollars today than returning to the moon.....
- Remote sensing
- Unmanned probes
- New technology development (eg, advanced propulsion, low energy launch systems)
- Future mission research

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is the OP under the impression that we only landed (or claimed to have landed) once?
I'm half tempted to state that when I take over the country, I will require everyone
to get an advanced degree in engineering, physics, chemistry or astronomy.
Anyone who doesn't will be punished by wearing one of these all day....
th

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'm half tempted to state that when I take over the country, I will require everyone
to get an advanced degree in engineering, physics, chemistry or astronomy.
Anyone who doesn't will be punished by wearing one of these all day....
th
Seems reasonable to me. If you doubt the moon landing, I think the Government should make you wear one of these so people can pick you out easily as an idiot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seems reasonable to me. If you doubt the moon landing, I think the Government should make you wear one of these so people can pick you out easily as an idiot.
I should point out that despite my having great fun mocking the moon landing deniers,
I don't believe they're necessarily stupid. I can truly see that if one has the limited
perspective of being outside the space exploration business, it can look fantastical.

But I don't envy them.....the world they see must look far less interesting than the one I see.
I regret getting out of engineering for the tedious world of real estate.
Oh, well....in my next life......

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I should point out that despite my having great fun mocking the moon landing deniers,
I don't believe they're necessarily stupid. I can truly see that if one has the limited
perspective of being outside the space exploration business, it can look fantastical.

But I don't envy them.....the world they see must look far less interesting than the one I see.
I regret getting out of engineering for the tedious world of real estate.
Oh, well....in my next life......
I don't agree. I think it takes a profound amount of ignorance and stubbornness to ignore the immense evidence that we landed on the moon.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't agree. I think it takes a profound amount of ignorance and stubbornness to ignore the immense evidence that we landed on the moon.
Aye, but that's not stupidity.
It takes many many years of study & work to gain real world experience in aerospace stuff.
So that just isn't available to many people.
And I've no doubt that the conspiracy arguments will be convincing to the uninitiated & naive.
What is so obvious to us is not so to others.

Flankerl

Because we live in a world that has become content to rest on the achievements of past eras, knows only cynicism and contempt for noble ideals and has narrowed its horizions to that which is within instant reach of our ego and already feels lost in the emptiness of space. I'd love to say that we have politicians with the ambition and vision to do it, but really, we've become so small that we'd rather be idle than face the possibility of failure. It's not the money or the technology. it's us. We stopped belieiving these things were possible. Its why we question whether it happened at all.

space_launch_system.png

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

Political.

The reason we did the moon landing was to show Soviet how strong, resourceful, and competent we were. Soviet were planning to go to the Moon. They sent up the first human into space. We couldn't fall behind. We had to beat them by being the first. After it was done, there wasn't as much of a need to show our strength. The power play was done, and we won it, so it wasn't as interesting anymore. No drive. No interest. No incentive. So instead more and more focus came on satellites (which has given us GPS, cell phones, TV, and international calling).

By the way, we were extremely lucky that it succeeded. It was on a whim, and had high probability to fail.