• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism converts

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
How could it have value without truth?/

Keep in mind here, were also referring to figurative truth, not just literal

Value is subjective truth is not. Ignoring of course solipsism and personal truths, which are different.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Nahh figurative truth is subjective as well. Especially for the book of Genesis, quite controversial actually.

What are some of the truth? special
creation original sin come from Genesis. These are not truths.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
1. Is it converting, de-converting or are we all born atheists and this is just a reversion?

It's a change from one view to another. I'd say that matters more than the label you assign to it.

2. If one of my parents are atheists, do I still need to go through said process?

depends on your definition of atheism.

4. If I become an atheist and then convert to a religion, does that mean I was never a true atheist to begin with?

No it just means you've changed your view on theism. Assuming you choose a religion that requires belief in god(s)

5. If I like the atheistic path but want to retain my belief in G-d, is there a syncretic path for me to follow?

what atheistic path are you referring to? Because it sounds like a contradiction to try walking it while believing in G-d.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Yep. If theres figurative truth, theres value, I don't understand how there could be any value without truth?

Figurative truth comes after value. Value in metaphor is what creates spiritual "truth".

Like I said, someone can find figurative truth in a list of ingredients, but to do so requires value. Otherwise it's just a list of ingredients.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Figurative truth comes after value. Value in metaphor is what creates spiritual "truth".

Like I said, someone can find figurative truth in a list of ingredients, but to do so requires value. Otherwise it's just a list of ingredients.

Theres the communication breakdown right there. I wasn't just referring to spiritual truth or value, I was referring to any truth or value/ To the best of my knowledge there was no specification of that/

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Theres the communication breakdown right there. I wasn't just referring to spiritual truth or value, I was referring to any truth or value/ To the best of my knowledge there was no specification of that/

Figurative truth is subjective to the observer.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, figurative truth doesn't matter because it is subjective, but what you have stated is a literal truth: that truth creates value and not vice versa.

Right, and it's also subjective.
The Genesis Story is a perfect example.
Just read any Garden of Eden thread and see how subjective peoples truths are.

I think were getting lost in semantics here...

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Right, and it's also subjective.
The Genesis Story is a perfect example.
Just read any Garden of Eden thread and see how subjective peoples truths are.

I think were getting lost in semantics here...
I think you are hiding from your statements, but that's the entire point in claiming there is subjective value in Genesis.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think you are hiding from your statements, but that's the entire point in claiming there is subjective value in Genesis.

Hiding from what? I don't know what you think I've said...post an example if you want, but saying 'hiding from statements makes no sense.

Also insulting...

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Yep. If theres figurative truth, theres value, I don't understand how there could be any value without truth?

Any truth, regardless of whether is is literal/objective or figurative/subjective, according to your own words, are only valuable because they are true. This isn't true all the time, and you were most certainly claiming it as a literal truth.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Any truth, regardless of whether is is literal/objective or figurative/subjective, according to your own words, are only valuable because they are true. This isn't true all the time, and you were most certainly claiming it as a literal truth.

This is convoluded. I don't even know what you're talking about anymore...

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It's a semantic trip to nowhere, because we would be defining terms next.

I am actually rather offended that people think semantics is a waste of time. If it weren't for semantic clarity discussion would devolve just as that one did. People can't simply assume that what they say is appropriate for their audience or that they are using a word correctly.

...semantic rant over. Continue your confusion.