• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism converts

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
what Author helped you decide and/or reaffirmed your atheism?

Mine was Victor J. Stenger with God: The Failed Hypothesis. Richard Dawkins reaffirmed and expanded it the most. Have to thank Darwin as well.

Skwim

Veteran Member
41RKSqwGLWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Skwim

Veteran Member
No I haven't. I assume it's more recent than old, and I haven't read any anti-christian or even anti-theism literature in some time.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I didn't read anything that caused my atheism, but I have read things since that have helped me better understand it.

Dawkins, both "Climbing Mount Improbable" and "God Delusion". It helped to read all these arguments laid out in a coherent, ordered fashion.

Also, Stephen Jay Gould's essays on natural history. He doesn't talk too much about god and religion (though some of his essays do cover those topics), but in general, he just makes the rational, scientific approach to understanding the universe and everything in it seems so reasonable, desirable, and wondrous. Why do you need to look for the supernatural when the natural is already so super?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I didn't read anything that caused my atheism, but I have read things since that have helped me better understand it.

Dawkins, both "Climbing Mount Improbable" and "God Delusion". It helped to read all these arguments laid out in a coherent, ordered fashion.

Also, Stephen Jay Gould's essays on natural history. He doesn't talk too much about god and religion (though some of his essays do cover those topics), but in general, he just makes the rational, scientific approach to understanding the universe and everything in it seems so reasonable, desirable, and wondrous. Why do you need to look for the supernatural when the natural is already so super?
I like that. I don't think I have read much Gould yet.

Viker

Häxan
The Bible. And some how George Orwell's The Road To Wigan Pier, I don't know how or why either - it just did.

cablescavenger

what Author helped you decide and/or reaffirmed your atheism?

Mine was Victor J. Stenger with God: The Failed Hypothesis. Richard Dawkins reaffirmed and expanded it the most. Have to thank Darwin as well.
I came to my own conclusions, but my parents were catholic and protestant, and their arguing helped me realise how nonsensical and futile religion was.

Pretty much the same as I have seen since joining this forum.

Last edited: