• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism converts

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I am actually rather offended that people think semantics is a waste of time. If it weren't for semantic clarity discussion would devolve just as that one did. People can't simply assume that what they say is appropriate for their audience or that they are using a word correctly.

...semantic rant over. Continue your confusion.

Theres no confusion here, but what exactly does 'value' mean etc.
The fact that both 'value' and truth' are subjective here, in relation to the book of Genesis, makes that OTHER word definition discussion inapplicable to the conversation.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Were you a theist before?

I came to these forums with only a rudimentary understanding of god and a belief that you were either theist or atheist. In clarifying that understanding, I genuinely became theist, atheist, non-theist, and none of the above. It's safe to say that I was affirmed in my atheism at the same time I was affirmed in my theism.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
How do you figure?

Say someone comes to the conclusion that the universe is peaceful and happy by looking at a field of flowers. There is no truth to this. Everything is in competition for resources or wholly indifferent to our existence. One must value the "truth" they find beforehand before it can be considered truth.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Say someone comes to the conclusion that the universe is peaceful and happy by looking at a field of flowers. There is no truth to this.
But does this represent figurative truth? The figure of speech can give us a truth that is meaningful, such as the broken heart or wracking our brain for an idea.

Everything is in competition for resources or wholly indifferent to our existence. One must value the "truth" they find beforehand before it can be considered truth.
It is pretty.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
But does this represent figurative truth? The figure of speech can give us a truth that is meaningful, such as the broken heart or wracking our brain for an idea.
Of course it is figurative, but the truth it supports isn't actually true in this case, as in Genesis.

Uberpod

what Author helped you decide and/or reaffirmed your atheism?

None. I have never read a book on the subject. I believed in God as a child and (as far as I am concerned) I grew out of it by sixteen and have never had any reason to ever regress.