• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there single fathers, who never married, with children in the West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
No, that is not what I am saying. That was the point.

Know your scriptures before you speak of such things. We are all told to speak as though speaking the very words of God.

You don't understand Grace my friend, no matter how many times I tell you. If someone knows, it is fact. To you it is an opinion perhaps, but not to me. Do you seriously want someone to lie about something just because you can't see it?
I want you to be honest. You haven't provided sufficient evidence to make your claim indisputable. Thus, it cannot be considered fact. It is subjective, and, thus, cannot be fact.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
It cannot be fact unless it is indisputable. Thus, you MUST show this certainty you claim to have with evidence. Otherwise, it is merely your belief that it is fact, as it is still in dispute right here.
How on earth could it not be fact. If I wrote it and saw it, you are saying it is a belief but not fact. I can't see where you are now. Presumably you only believe you are there then until someone comes into verify it. .. haha

leibowde84

Veteran Member
No, that is not what I am saying. That was the point.

Know your scriptures before you speak of such things. We are all told to speak as though speaking the very words of God.

You don't understand Grace my friend, no matter how many times I tell you. If someone knows, it is fact. To you it is an opinion perhaps, but not to me. Do you seriously want someone to lie about something just because you can't see it?
Where in scripture does it say that we are aloud to speak for God and put words in his mouth?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
How on earth could it not be fact. If I wrote it and saw it, you are saying it is a belief but not fact. I can't see where you are now. Presumably you only believe you are there then until someone comes into verify it. .. haha
Yes ... subjective reality is confirmed by the experiences of others.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I want you to be honest. You haven't provided sufficient evidence to make your claim indisputable. Thus, it cannot be considered fact. It is subjective, and, thus, cannot be fact.
I will write it one last time for tonight, though I know it is pointless.
If you see something in front of your eyes and you know it is there, such as a shape of a cloud, which then is gone, was that fact, fiction, or a belief? You tell me.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I keep seeing this note example. Okay, so, you wrote a note. No one is around to see you do it. Now presumably, you did something with it. Crumpled and threw away, burnt to ash, folded and put it in your pocket. This note you use for example leaves behind some kind of evidence that it at least existed, whether the writing on it remains or not. Someone could possibly find the evidence you have left behind. Could validate the existence. Your god has not the same evidence. Your god has stories written about it. Your god has people that say they "feel" the presence of, but your god has not left any conclusive evidence to substantiate its existence. Let alone any real message that could actually be verified.

I could say that George, the fairy that sits atop my computer monitor, said "it is best to eat chocolate ice cream on Thursdays for it will bring you luck when playing scratch lottery tickets", but unless I can prove George actually exists the words I attribute to him mean nothing.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I will write it one last time for tonight, though I know it is pointless.
If you see something in front of your eyes and you know it is there, such as a shape of a cloud, which then is gone, was that fact, fiction, or a belief? You tell me.
Because subjective experience is so often unreliable, it is a belief until verified. This is especially true for supernatural concepts like God.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Haah... so until they come in, your room does not exist! That is laughable. So what of the note exmaple.
Yes. Personal, subjective experience has been shown many times to be unreliable, especially in this context. Facts must be verifiable by others, or else it could be an illusion.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I get figures for the women, who never married, rearing children:

Mother

In the United States, 80.6% of single parents are mothers.[34][35]Among this percentage of single mothers: 45% of single mothers are currently divorced or separated, 1.7% are widowed, 34% of single mothers never have been married.[36][37]

The prevalence of single mothers as primary caregiver is a part of traditional parenting trends between mothers and fathers. Cultural definition of a mother's role contributes to the preference of mother as primary caregiver. In addition to their traditional protective and nurturing role, single mothers may have to play the role of family provider as well; since men are the bread winners of the traditional family, in the absence of the child support or social benefits the mother must fulfill this role whilst also providing adequate parentage. Because of this dual role, in the United States, 80% of single mothers are employed of which 50% are full-time workers and 30% are part-time.[37]Many employed single mothers rely on childcare facilities to care for their children while they are away at work. Linked to the rising prevalence of single parenting is the increasing quality of healthcare, and there have been findings of positive developmental effects with modern childcare. It's not uncommon that the mother will become actively involved with the childcare program as to compensate for leaving her children under the care of others.[1][38]Working single mothers may also rely on the help from fictive kin, who provide for the children while the mother is at her job.[2]

In the United States, 27% of single mothers live below the poverty line,[37]as they lack the financial resources to support their children when the birth father is unresponsive.Many seek assistance through living with another adult, perhaps a relative,fictive kin, or significant other, and divorced mothers who remarry have fewer financial struggles than unmarried single mothers, who cannot work for longer periods of time without shirking their child-caring responsibilities. Unmarried mothers are thus more likely to cohabit with another adult.[39]
Father[edit]
In the United States today, there are nearly 13.6 million single parents raising over 21 million children.[40] Single fathers are far less common than single mothers, constituting 16% of single-parent families.[41]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_parent

I don't get the relative figures for single fathers who were never married, with children.

My point is in the name of equality men are exploiting women in the West, they leave children to be responsibility of the mothers, and the mothers have to become bread-earners as well as the child-carers.

Regards

Sees

Dragonslayer
My point is in the name of equality men are exploiting women in the West, they leave children to be responsibility of the mothers, and the mothers have to become bread-earners as well as the child-carers.

Regards

How do you figure that is done in the name of equality? It makes no sense.

Also, fathers didn't start leaving mothers when employment for women became more abundant.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

I'm not sure why you are attributing this to equality.
It is also important to point out that your figures are for the USA. "The west" includes lots of other places. I suspect the numbers are different in Sweden. The USA is an unusual combination of personal freedom and religion.
Tom

JoStories

'Disgusting, Offensive'? No, I don't think so. I think we might make wiser choices and bring up and look after people better as a society if we thought something was wrong however. Abuse, whatever it might be, is not usually onesided.
First off, how does one need to write something like you did above that I highlighted? You don't know what constitutes abuse? And how in the world can you, with any degree conscience, say that abuse is the fault of the person who is being abused? That is what is meant by saying its not one sided? Or perhaps you think I deserved my nose being broken because his dinner was not what he liked? Or I folded the towels wrong. How can you explain this to the rest of us so it does not demean those of us who lived through it?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I'm not sure why you are attributing this to equality.
It is also important to point out that your figures are for the USA. "The west" includes lots of other places. I suspect the numbers are different in Sweden. The USA is an unusual combination of personal freedom and religion.
Tom

He's just taking the opportunity to bash non-Muslim culture again. Go figure.

Edit: Ha ha! 700th post! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.