• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi Governor Proclaims Confederate Heritage Month

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bolded to educate that slavery is still legal in this country.
To phrase it as "still legal" risks the inference of forced
labor as punishment for a crime being the same as
slavery in antebellum slave states, ie, buying & selling
humans.
Do you agree there are significant differences?
Explains why so many countless laws acting as a snare to capture more slaves to be used by the state.
You believe it's profitable to imprison people?
Even in government run prisons?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The left has it's problems?????? Then left IS the problem.
Merely one of the problems
The right is trouble too, eg, favoring
treasonous overturning of elections.
The narratives that leftists push has and continues to decide America.
As do narratives that righties push, eg,
denying abortion rights, being pro
police brutality, theocratic.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
To phrase it as "still legal" risks the inference of forced
labor as punishment for a crime being the same as
slavery in antebellum slave states, ie, buying & selling
humans.
Do you agree there are significant differences?

You believe it's profitable to imprison people?
Even in government run prisons?
Put 1+1 together.

Equals....

Ignatius A

It's unusual, hence curious. How commonly, on a global stage, do you think the losers of a civil war fought 160 years ago institute a memorial month a full 130 years after the end of that war?
Yes it is curious. I haven't got the foggiest idea how common it is. It seems the only problem here is that some people don't like it. I'm not sure why that matters.

Ignatius A

There's no right to abortion.

"Being pro police brutality". Divisive leftist narrative in display. You people make it so easy some time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Put 1+1 together.

Equals....
An alternative explanation is that votes favor
politicians who are "tough on crime", which
mean long prison sentences with little to no
attempt to rehabilitate.
All you have is the association of privately
operated prisons existing, & a high rate of
incarceration. This could happen for
multiple reasons.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is a belief, not a legal fact.
For many years, it was a right per SCOTUS.
Now that we've 6 of 9 justices being Catholic,
the federal right was repealed. However,
many states still recognize the right.
"Being pro police brutality". Divisive leftist narrative in display. You people make it so easy some time.
Who are "you people"?
I'm not on the left.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes it is curious. I haven't got the foggiest idea how common it is. It seems the only problem here is that some people don't like it.
It was a large effort by a group called the Daughters of the Confederacy. They paid for monuments in many cities. I came accross one of them in a prominent park near my house that happens to be the biggest civil war battle west of the Mississippi, the Battle of Westport. It was removed. I heard it was taken somewhere else.
I'm not sure why that matters.
It matters because the Confederacy represents slavery and racism. It is offensive to citizens who do not feel racist, nor support slavery.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
In love when leftists fancy themselves bible scholars. Does love your neighbor as yourself mean let people do whatever they want? Love your enemies means let your enemies destroy you? Turn the other cheek means you can be abused? Treat others the way you want to be treated means people can do whatever they like to you? I notice people only listen to half the message. Disagreement= hatred right?

In my opinion, it is one thing to disagree with others, but it's quite another to resort to insulting, degrading, and dehumanizing them. If you behave like this, then, in my opinion, you are no better than the people who treat you the same way. On the other hand, you could be a better person and defuse an argument rather than fan the flames. And if defusing an argument is not possible, then walk away. As a Christian, you should be aware of Bible verses about not repaying evil for evil but overcoming evil with good and how a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. And, yes, I "practice what I preach" in my own life as well as throughout my years as a Christian evangelist and street preacher. In my view, Christians like you can either be a shining light for your Christian faith or you can be a stumbling block that pushes people further away from God. It's ultimately up to you.

Ignatius A

"Being pro police brutality". Divisive leftist narrative on display. You people make it so easy some time.
In my opinion, it is one thing to disagree with others, but it's quite another to resort to insulting, degrading, and dehumanizing them. If you behave like this, then, in my opinion, you are no better than the people who treat you the same way. On the other hand, you could be a better person and defuse an argument rather than fan the flames. And if defusing an argument is not possible, then walk away. As a Christian, you should be aware of Bible verses about not repaying evil for evil but overcoming evil with good and how a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. And, yes, I "practice what I preach" in my own life as well as throughout my years as a Christian evangelist and street preacher. In my view, Christians like you can either be a shining light for your Christian faith or you can be a stumbling block that pushes people further away from God. It's ultimately up to you.
Yeah well we have different views. A gentle answer turns away wrath? I've noticed that's especially true with abortion. We've said not to abortion because the babies life needs to be protected and there hasnt been a single bit of wrat forthcoming from the pro crowd. Have ever prayed quietly outside an abortion clinic? The wrath is definitely not turned away there. I'd submit Christian like you are partly the reason why faith as been restricted from the public square.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Yeah well we have different views. A gentle answer turns away wrath? I've noticed that's especially true with abortion. We've said not to abortion because the babies life needs to be protected and there hasnt been a single bit of wrat forthcoming from the pro crowd. Have ever prayed quietly outside an abortion clinic? The wrath is definitely not turned away there.

I've stood outside abortion clinics when I was a devout evangelical Christian with other Christians, and we were not angry nor did we yell, but we spoke to the women going inside and those opposed to us with sincere concern and gentleness in our speech. We were initially yelled at, but once the opposition realized that we wouldn't participate in a yelling match, they stopped and were embarrassed by their behavior. Being angry and yelling aren't necessary.

I'd submit Christian like you are partly the reason why faith as been restricted from the public square.

As far as I know, the Christian faith isn't prohibited in the public square. I've traveled across the country and have seen and heard street preachers speaking in public. I've even helped a few of them silence rude and obnoxious hecklers because, as a former street preacher, I know how to effectively handle them.

Ignatius A

I've stood outside abortion clinics when I was a devout evangelical Christian with other Christians, and we were not angry nor did we yell, but we spoke to the women going inside and those opposed to us with sincere concern and gentleness in our speech. We were yelled at at first, but once the opposition realized that we wouldn't participate in a yelling match with them, they stopped and were embarrassed by their behavior. Being angry and yelling aren't necessary.

As far as I know, the Christian faith isn't prohibited in the public square. I've traveled across the country and have seen and heard street preachers speaking in public. I've even helped a few of them silence hecklers because, as a former street preacher, I know how to effectively handle them.
You said a gentle answer turns away anger. It doesnt and it never will. That doesnt mean we have to be aggressive but we have acquiesced.

Ignatius A

I didn't initially say it. I cited Proverbs 15:1. Am I mistaken to assume that as a Christian, you don't believe that this verse is true?
Where did I say the verse wasnt true? A gentle word can turn away wrath but that requires good will on the part of both sides. Jesus did nothing in life but answer gently, so you tell me, is the verse true?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I wouldn't include punishment under the usual
use of "slavery" in the same context as what
the South fought to preserve.
Were I in prison, forced labor wouldn't seem to
worsen the experience.
Nor would I. Nor was it my claim. I was trying to explain to you where he was coming from.