• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men and Women

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So if a person is born with 7 fingers on each hand due to Polydactyly, is it your view that this is perfectly normal, and no need for treatment? If so, why do you suppose the medical community has determined Polydactyly to be an deformity/syndrome?

It is not a given that for all disorders that a person has, that person has to become normal to have a good enough life.

I have a mental disorder and I am not normal, but I have a good enough life as not normal. The problem is people like you who think we all have to become normal.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Ah, I understand now, thanks.

Almost every categorization scheme suffers from rare exceptions. That does not mean the scheme is wrong. The definition I provided is overwhelmingly correct, and I agree that exceptions exist.

Yeah, you really like your subjective words.
You are not the only way to make sense of what matters. The rest of us can just do it subjectively differently.

Yerda

Veteran Member
You are unclear on the idea of biological sex? really?

I majored in molecular biology at uni. (admittedly that was a long time ago ;) )

But this seems like a solid, workable definition:

The Sex Chromosomes you are born with decide. If you have a "y" Chromosome, you are a man, if you have only "x" you are woman
Is it fair to say that "x is a man" and "x is a male" are identical statements for you two? Gender is just another word for biological sex?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The Sex Chromosomes you are born with decide. If you have a "y" Chromosome, you are a man, if you have only "x" you are woman
Only if you conflate the word "man" with the word "male" and the word "woman" with the word "female".

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Gender is just another word for biological sex?
We've been discussing that question on other, current threads. IMO "gender" is poorly and inconsistently defined, but these days it's mostly NOT the same thing as biological sex.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yerda addressed a question to me and I responded, what on earth is your problem?

My problem is that you are using your opinion. That is a poor choice in my understanding and a sign you are a bad human. ;)

I want you to admit that you are in part subjective and have an individual understanding of asepcts of gender and harm. Just like the rest of us.
Then we can move on. As long as you in effect act as if you are right, we won't get anywhere.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They-Shave-With-Chainsaws-Funny-Razor-Poster.jpg

Yerda

Veteran Member
We've been discussing that question on other, current threads. IMO "gender" is poorly and inconsistently defined, but these days it's mostly NOT the same thing as biological sex.
It's not something I've ever been able to wrap my head around fully. I had never thought about gender identity at all until I watched a Louis Theroux documentary about trans kids a few years ago.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's not something I've ever been able to wrap my head around fully. I had never thought about gender identity at all until I watched a Louis Theroux documentary about trans kids a few years ago.

One step at a time.
Can you understand the concept of neurodiversity?

Yerda

Veteran Member
One step at a time.
Can you understand the concept of neurodiversity?
Yep. Kinda. I'm aware that others experience a different world than I.

That reminds me, my partner has aphantasia. That is much stranger than any gender identity to me.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yep. Kinda. I'm aware that others experience a different world than I.

That reminds me, my partner has aphantasia. That is much stranger than any gender identity to me.

I have that too, aphantasia. I don't even have an inner picture of how my wife looks. But that is how I work.

Gender is the same. It is a variation in an indiviudal brain.