1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoroastrian Reflections

Discussion in 'Zoroastrianism DIR' started by Rival, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Rival

Rival Noahide
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,590
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Ahuramazda bless you!

This thread is to post random musings on the faith, favourites pieces of Scripture and various ideas you might have. Philosophic discussion welcome as well as minor questions. A little Mazdayasnian tea party, if you will.

:)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rival

Rival Noahide

Ratings:
    +19,590
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Are you going to keep on breaking Rule 10? Cut out posting here or else I will have to report you.

3. matthew_/!/

matthew_/!/ Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Before the tea party begins, what type of tea will be available?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rival

Rival Noahide

Ratings:
    +19,590
    Religion:
    בת נח
    All types.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Emperor of Mankind

The Emperor of Mankind Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Ratings:
    +6,474
    Religion:
    Greek Paganism
    After my initial perusals of the Venidad, I think I quite like the story of Yima in Fargard 2 - and how Ahura Mazda, when Yima turns down his offer for Yima to become the bearer of Mazda's law and religion to the world, respects his decision and asks him to help be a force for good & progression - to just be as good a person as Yima can be.

I like that. It's not often I come across a story where the featured deity actually respects the right of its creation to make choices. Usually it's either blind submission on the part of the mortal, or divine wrath when the mortal dares to do his or her own thing. That's very refreshing.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Corthos

Corthos Great Old One

Ratings:
    +429
    Religion:
    My own Pagan path
    This is such a good idea for a thread... I'm gonna look forward to seeing what folks have to say. =)

The Vendidad is truly a controversial text, even among traditionalists... I look forward to reading it and seeing what all the fuss is about. XD

What you say, though, seems to echo what I've read and understand about Ahura Mazda. Freedom of choice is a huge aspect of the religion, and though the concept of sin is in later texts (at least, as far as I understand), Zoroaster never mentions it in the Gathas. He only ever mentions right and wrong choices, and the consequences those have...

I must admit I'm a bit curious, though. How do you feel about traditional/orthodox philosophy vs. reformist/Gathic philosophy?

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Emperor of Mankind

The Emperor of Mankind Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Ratings:
    +6,474
    Religion:
    Greek Paganism
    If you want a free review: it's a pretty weird body of text. After that story it comes out with some bizarre ecclesiastical punishments for various 'offences' e.g. burying a body instead of burning it, instructions for how to treat bodies in the winter (when there's no birds to eat the flesh) and how certain contract violations should be punished.

I get that impression too. The Venidad even covers what should happen if a human involuntarily 'violates' the fire with impure offerings (the example given is if a bird feeds on a corpse, lands on a tree and craps on it. I'm not joking). The prescribed punishment is 'no punishment' - at least the authors realised there are plenty of things beyond human control.

Zoroastrian orthodoxy seems to me to be rigid, controlling and excessively ritualised. Actually it's quite disheartening because it makes 'traditional' Zoroastrianism seem like every other monotheism on the planet - and that contaminates Gathic Zoroastrianism by pain of association. The Gathic variant sheds a lot of this away and focusses on getting back to the core message: GT, GW, GD; rather than allowing the worshipper to bog themselves down in the Magis' self-serving minutiae. That's who I suspect wrote the parts of the Avesta which are younger than the Gathas.

#7 The Emperor of Mankind, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rival

Rival Noahide

Ratings:
    +19,590
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Does anyone know traditional Mazdayasnian greeting? I mean like the Jews have Shalom, the Hindus have Namaste and so on. I can't find a concrete one for Zarathustrian faith.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Corthos

Corthos Great Old One

Ratings:
    +429
    Religion:
    My own Pagan path
    Oh! This whole time I thought it was "Ushta", but your question prompted me to look into it deeper. What I've learned is that there are actually two greetings:

Ushta te = Greetings to you (singular).

Ushta ve = Greetings to all (plural).

From what I've read across in multiple sites, the word "Ushta" itself is generally regarded as "radiant happiness," though some think it means "radiant light." Here's an example:

http://www.tenets.zoroastrian-fire-temple.com/discussions_37.html

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rival

Rival Noahide

Ratings:
    +19,590
    Religion:
    בת נח
    I love this. It is so Indo-European. In pretty much all of the Romance languages and some Germanic ones, they still sound so alike:

Romanian: Tu, voi
    Italian:Tu, voi
    French: Tu, vous
    English: Thou, you
    German; Du, sie, etc (they have plenty)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rival

Rival Noahide

Ratings:
    +19,590
    Religion:
    בת נח
    I love Gatha 5: 1-2

O false gods beware,
    the family, the community, and the fellowship,
    all pray to the Wise God
    for bliss in the manner I do,
    and they say: May we be Your messengers
    to control those who are Your antagonists.

The Wise God, an ally through good mind
    and a good friend through the glorious righteousness,
    has responded to them:
    "We have chosen the good and progressive serenity for you."
    (And they say) "May it be ours!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +9,543
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Ushta is related to Usha, Eos, etc., dawn, awakening.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Firemorphic

Firemorphic Activist Membrane

Ratings:
    +569
    Religion:
    Islam (Twelver Shia)
    Woah Rival, great thread idea. I had no idea you were interested in Zoroastrianism (well, at some point). It's close to me personally.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Firemorphic

Ratings:
    +569
    Religion:
    Islam (Twelver Shia)
    From the Ahunuvaiti Gatha:

15. Firemorphic

Ratings:
    +569
    Religion:
    Islam (Twelver Shia)
    From the Spenta Mainyu Gatha:

16. FirstandAmistad

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Agnostic Pagan
    I'm not a really a Zoroastrian, but after my de-conversion from Christianity some years ago, I found a powerful draw to Zoroastrianism and delved into the Gathas and some other writings. It felt familiar, but resonated more strongly with me than Christianity had. I have since drifted towards agnostic animism/paganism. I revere specific deities, though, and Ahura Mazda is one of the ones I hold the highest respect for (along with several Celtic and Olympian deities).

The simple mantra of "Good words. Good thoughts. Good deeds." resonates very strongly with me along with the simplicity and inherit truth (I feel) in it. I've always deeply respected the focus on being a compassionate and honest person, and even though I don't believe in divine reward/punishment, being judged based on one's deeds and character makes far more sense to me than simply believing a specific doctrine (no offense intended).

• Friendly Friendly x 1