1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zombie Angelina Jolie' arrested over blasphemy charges in Iran, Instagram account shut down

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by danieldemol, Oct 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,454
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Zombie Angelina Jolie' arrested over blasphemy charges in Iran, Instagram account shut down
    Iran has arrested an Instagram celebrity famous for drastically altering her appearance through cosmetic surgery, Tasnim news agency has reported.

Key points:

• The Instagram star reportedly faces a raft of charges, including inciting violence and encouraging youths to corruption
    • She rose to fame in 2017 after her heavily-edited photos went viral, earning the nickname "zombie Angelina Jolie"
    • Her account on Instagram — the only major social media platform allowed in Iran — has been deactivated
    Read more here: abc.net.au/article/11582194

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli RF stinks now. Really, really bad.

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Religion:
    Catholic
    So will she be shot or hung? I hope neither, but I understand Iran has been known to execute a lot for what might seem petty to us Westerners.

3. danieldemol

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,454
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    It’s probably too early to say what will happen to her.

4. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson ζει

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Religion:
    Creedalist Xian
    Nuts! I really dislike the reporting on this story, even though I have strong personal opinions about American freedoms.

5. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,774
    Religion:
    diversity
    If the charges result in nothing more than a suspended social media account, would you be OK with it?

6. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson ζει

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Religion:
    Creedalist Xian
    For "cultural crimes and social and moral corruption”? Nah, ... goes against the American (Western?) grain, I'd say. And there's the rub, ain't it?

7. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,774
    Religion:
    diversity
    If the legal system of Iran was transparent, then we could find out what happens.

8. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson ζει

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Religion:
    Creedalist Xian
    Aye, but ...
    • IMO, it ain't as much as I think it ought to be,
    • What to do about this matter before the worst that we/I fear happens? Sanctions? Send in troops? Arouse international outcry? Start a go-fund-me defense fund? Diplomatic back-door negotiations? Offer asylum?
    • And who's the bad guy in all of this? Theists? (where are the militant atheists when you need them?), radical Islamic terrorists? Muslims? Iranians? ...

9. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,774
    Religion:
    diversity
    I don't know. Assuming that the story is real; all that's happened is that charges have been filed. I guess I would wait and see what happens next.

It's the lack of transparency. If a nation wants to enforce morality via the justice system, they need to be transparent in order to verify that they themselves ( the justice system ) remains moral. I think that Iran ( and other theocracies ) should voluntarily hold themselves to higher standards of openness and access to their criminal justice system or else they can't claim the moral high ground.

10. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,950
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
  11. danieldemol

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,454
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Depends what it is really for, if it was just for dancing in Iran I would consider this about suppression of dissent, which is not ok. Still it would be more acceptable than jail time.

But as you say the Iranian system is not transparent enough for us to know what she is really in for.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,774
    Religion:
    diversity