• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zen without Buddhism?

Kartari

Indeed, Eisai himself explicitly used the Sanskrit term dhyana (which = the Pali term jhana) interchangeably with the term zen in his own writings. Zen is actually a Japanese mispronunciation of the Chinese term chan, which in turn is a Chinese mispronunciation of the Indian terms dhyana and jhana.

mystic64

nolonger active
Indeed, Eisai himself explicitly used the Sanskrit term dhyana (which = the Pali term jhana) interchangeably with the term zen in his own writings. Zen is actually a Japanese mispronunciation of the Chinese term chan, which in turn is a Chinese mispronunciation of the Indian terms dhyana and jhana.

Hi Kartari and welcome to the message board!

The way I see it, Zen is a Buddhist path, so Zen and Buddhism aren't two separate things. Following the basic precepts is one of the Zen practices and is helpful, but persons shouldn't become obsessed with it. Find a place somewhere in the middle that feels comfortable to you. I think it's probably not even possible for persons to practice the precepts perfectly, unless they are already enlightened.

mystic64

nolonger active
The way I see it, Zen is a Buddhist path, so Zen and Buddhism aren't two separate things. Following the basic precepts is one of the Zen practices and is helpful, but persons shouldn't become obsessed with it. Find a place somewhere in the middle that feels comfortable to you. I think it's probably not even possible for persons to practice the precepts perfectly, unless they are already enlightened.

Hi Jeff Strehlow and welcome to the message board!