• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yvonne Ridley (captive to convert)

FatMan

This could be nothing more than an extension of what many kidnapped people go through - empathy for their aggressors.

Or it could be she's seen another side of a culture and has embraced it.

Hopefully this isn't going to be used as evidence of anything other than a manifestation of one of those two scenarios.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I hope that she genuinely wanted to be converted; I have heard 'stories' about those who have been 'convinced' to convert... I hope for this lady's sake it was her honest wish.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
This could be nothing more than an extension of what many kidnapped people go through - empathy for their aggressors.

Stockholm Syndrome.

I doubt it is that in this case, though.

RevOxley_501

FatMan said:

Or it could be she's seen another side of a culture and has embraced it.

Hopefully this isn't going to be used as evidence of anything other than a manifestation of one of those two scenarios.

kind of like a Stockholm Syndrome for religion...

^^^nevermind, previous post beat me to it-

maro

muslimah
jacquie4000 said:
People can convert to any religion I don't have a problem with it ...But the thought of converting to the Muslime religion while under the Taliban is quite a scary thought.
They are extremist.

Here is an example link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban#Islamic_law

You being Muslim I would not be proud of this.

Believe it or not, Taliban are not extremists ,but this is what your government and your media are propagating to justify their attacks,

this lady went there thinking the same way about taliban ,

and what she found there , made her revise what she was programmed to believe ,
she studied islam , and after reading some books , she decided to embrace islam ,

and this makes me more than proud

maro

muslimah
By the way , among the famous words of this lady ;

i thank god that i was captivated by Taliban , and not captivated in (Abo Gharib) prison in iraq

Words that speaks volume

May Allah bless her , guide her steps , and grant her all Happiness

jacquie4000

Let me start by saying this:
The Muslim religion can be beautiful. I have read The Quran many times.
I know many Muslims and most of the ones I know will say the Taliban are a bloody people. You can not defend all of islam. So people are extremist and bad. Just as all other religions have extremist, so does yours. If this women was not a captive and come across the religion on her own by reading and visiting people who are true to islam and it's religion I would have no problem with it. But in this manner I do. So I will just leave it as I agree to disagree with you.

maro

muslimah
jacquie4000 said:
Let me start by saying this:
The Muslim religion can be beautiful. I have read The Quran many times.
I know many Muslims and most of the ones I know will say the Taliban are a bloody people. You can not defend all of islam. So people are extremist and bad. Just as all other religions have extremist, so does yours. If this women was not a captive and come across the religion on her own by reading and visiting people who are true to islam and it's religion I would have no problem with it. But in this manner I do. So I will just leave it as I agree to disagree with you.

this lady , who was a christian british , and a famous succesful journalist have no reason to lie about her experience in afghanistan ,
especially after recieving huge criticism in her country about what she said

this lady didn't revert to islam immediately after she came back,
but after she studied islam , and read books about it

and why don't you just listen to her , telling her story ,
because i don't really know you disagree about what

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Watching the video I do like her, though. :)

I like when she's talking about first getting her Koran with the index and thinking - I'll find all the bad verses. LOL

That was so cute.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
"She's not a scholar, she's a lesbian who wants to take a dig at Islam..."

Hahaha - Yvonne's not going to be invited to any Queer Muslims International events. lol

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
"I probably went to Church twice a month, which in some people's eyes in Britain is bordering on fanaticism..."

LOL She's cute. ;)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Believe it or not, Taliban are not extremists ,but this is what your government and your media are propagating to justify their attacks,

Hoobooy thats the funniest thing I've read all day.

The Taliban are about as representative of Islam as a shoe is a represenative of a fruit.

AbuQuteiba

I wouldn't say Taliban represent Islam, but i do not know for a fact how violent these people really are. I know for a fact that what the American media chooses to show, is never really the truth (what happened). Most scholars have called them "khawarij", which seems to be the correct description. Wallahu A'lam (And Allah is all knowing).

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Since we can't trust the Big Bad American Media at all, let's see what the women of Afganistan and Pakistan have to say about the Taliban.

... It appears they're not too fond of them. Huh!

I can't see why they think what they do, personally I'd love a group of raggamuffins- er, Holy Men who force me to completely cover my entire body and then beat me in the streets should a breeze blow and uncover a very naughty quarter inch of my skin. I'd love for acid to be thrown on me for the crime of teaching girls. I'd love to be whipped for just going to the doctor without a male relative there to chaperone me or being whipped for just walking down the street with my male best friend. I'd love to be raped just for being a woman and then murdered for zina.

It's not violence, it's just keeping us women in our place!

Ody

maro said:

Stop the bull please.

statue.jpg

http://www.rawa.org/statues.htm