• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yuki Saito ~ LDS Japanese pop singer

FFH

Veteran Member
Before starting this thread, I literally had never seen Yuki perform...

I'm seeing all these links for the first time myself, as I post them.

I watch them as I post them or watch them to see if they're worth posting and all of them seem to be, at least to me they are worth posting. because they have a great sentimental value for me having been a part of that era/time and culture of Japan.....

Will post more links as they become available so get used to it...

FFH

Veteran Member
Wow, tons more stuff has been added, since I last posted in this thread, been going through some of the new recently added vids.

She was born the same year as myself, so she would have been 26 here in 92' on this video.

It's amazing to be able to see these performances, which were broadcast throughout Japan. It sure helped to break the ice with people, as LDS missionaries.

She lived in the same Stake and her father was the Stake President, when I lived in Kawasaki, Japan as an LDS missionary. She was a household name in Japan and LDS to boot. :)

Unlikely scenario in a Buddhist and Shinto dominated country.

Live performance

齊藤由貴1992年パーソナルコンサート聖夜 - いつか

Same song

斉藤由貴 いつか

夢の中へ

There's too many links

白い炎 斉藤由貴

FFH

Veteran Member
Another great performance

斉藤由貴 うしろの正面だあれ

少**代

"Shiranai no (I don't know), it's my destiny"

YOKAN / Yuki Saito

Remember this is an active LDS/Mormon/minority Christian religion member living in a Buddhist/Shinto religion dominated country, who had multiple top ten hits in the mid 80's. She also refused to act or sing on Sunday, which is something that is equally rare, even among Christians, especially Japan. Many work 7 days a week there or take a weekday off instead of Sunday.

FFH

Veteran Member
This has a picture of her extended family. Her father in this clip was the Yokohama, Japan LDS stake president when I was in her stake, while living in Kawasaki, Japan. It was a great time to be a missionary there for sure.

Just bare with me I'm posting these for myself to view later. It would be too hard to find them later.

斉藤由貴「情報」200306

Montage 85' to 06'

斉藤由貴「総集編1985-2 006」20061227

Yuki Saito - Talk 2

斉藤由貴 - 夜のバランコ

This one's really good.

斉藤由貴 - 布施明 - 来生たかお「シクラメンのかほ り」

FFH

Veteran Member
Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Just book marking these on this thread to view later.

斉藤由貴 - 追い風のポニー・テール
Yuki Saito (singer) ~ Pony Tail Tail Wind (English translation of the title of this song)

Happy up beat song of hers. Fun to listen to even if you don't understand a word of Japanese. I'm starting to remember a lot of Japanese again as I listen to these songs and other Japanese stuff on U-tube. It's a lot of fun and a great challenge to interprete their language.

Just realized I already book marked that one earlier.

Here's one she did entirely in English. This is the first song of hers I've heard her done entirely in English.

Listen closely and you'll hear her English pronunciation is nearly flawless. That's what you get for hanging around American LDS members and missionaries. They are also taught English in High school as a second language.

斉藤由貴~ONE
Yuki Saito ~ ONE

This is my attempt at typing out what she's singing in English.

Yuki Saito ~ One

Lyrics

??? beneath the sun beside the ??? (can't quite make out what she's saying before and after this sentence)
Two can make it true that we ??? (again not quite sure what she's saying at the end of this sentence)

Inside of a dream I know our love that we share will grow and grow until we're one

(??? not sure what she's saying here in this first sentence ???)
Don't be afraid to find another
And trust in each other and discover life is real
Just close your eyes and we're together
No matter the weather when the two of us are holding hands forever

Sail upon the sea until you come to me
Gaze into the storm this moment is ours

inside of a dream I know the love that we share will grow and grow until we're one
Inside of a dream I know the love that we share will grow and grow until we're one

We're one
We're one
We're one

Live performance

斉藤由貴 「青空のかけら」
Yuki Saito ~ Blue Sky

This calender chart behind her is showing the day and year she was born in 1966 (same year as myself) and also shows the day and year she was currently performing here in 1986, (probably on her birthday), where the calendar chart ends (that same year in 1986 I was also mid way through my LDS mission living in Japan and had just attended a Stake Conference where her father presided as Stake President).

It was a great time to be in Japan as an LDS missionary. Just mentioning her name, Yuki Saito, broke the ice time and time again as we cold contacted people on the streets and as we knocked on doors. It no doubt helped many feel comfortable with joining the LDS faith, knowing that Yuki was LDS.

Here they are discussing different events in her life on the calender chart behind her.

斉藤由貴 - 青空のかけら

Just another one of her gazillion performances. People keep posting more stuff of hers on U-tube, it's hard to keep up.

斉藤由貴 卒業
Yuki Saito ~ Graduation

斉藤由貴 いつか
Yuki Saito ~ When

Endless performances, just as I thought I'ld seen them all, then another one is posted. Just watching all of these for the fist time myself, as I post them.

「いつか」 斉藤由貴

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member

斉藤由貴 - ガラスの天球儀
Translation ~ Yuki Saito ~ Celestial Globe of Glass

Same song sung live

斉藤由貴 - ガラスの天球儀
Yuki Saito ~ Celestial Globe of Glass (live)

This is interesting because in LDS theology we believe this earth will become a Urim and Thummim (A Celestial Globe of Glass).

Yuki must have written this song with this in mind, she being LDS and fully aware of LDS theology concerning this.

As far as I know she's written all of her songs.

斉藤由貴 家族の食卓ロングver
Translation ~ Yuki Saito ~ Dining Table of the Yuki Saito Family

斉藤由貴 - 終りの気配
Translation ~ Yuki Saito ~ Sign of the End

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Koji Nakamura is an LDS convert living in Japan. He attended college in Minnesota. We were discussing Yuki Saito on YouTube, and this is one of his emails. I thought It would be cool to share it here.

FFH's corrections are in this color and I just highlighted some of his comments in this color.

"Hello Michael,

Thanks for the message.

I miss Minnesota like you miss Japan.

I often think of my friends there. I feel I am in foreign country, even though I am now in Japan.

Have you ever seen Yuki Saito when she came to Church as a member?

She is (a) new type (of) Church woman. Not (Non) Church members were thinking all of LDS ladies had to give up jobs after they got married.

But she did not give up her job in show business. She is actress, singer, and writer.

I go to Church in countrydide, Japan. Some old fashioned ladies disagree that Yuki contines her job. :(
They are thinking that women have to be in home.

Time(s) (have) changed. Today guys also do housework.

I agree that Yuki continues her job because she has high talent.

Anyway, Yuki Saito was my first favorite pop singer when I was in elementary hight school. Then I was not Church member. It was miracle coinsidence!

I know she sometimes went to Utah to study English.

I imagined she would get married with ex American missionary who stayed in Japan, and move to USA.

She is rare type in show business, Japan. Most of showbusiness people do not have religion or have (are) budhisim (Budhists).
They drink, smoke, and repeat marriage (divorce and remarry).

She said on TV that she do not drink, coffee, coke, and smoke. And she go to Church on Sundays. Show business world is hard for LDS members."

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Here's Koji's first email.

FFH's added comments are in this color and again I highlighted some of his comments in this color.

"My name is Koji Nakamura. I am Japanese.

I read your comment about Yuki Saito's Suna no shiro (Sand Castles) (on Youtube).

Here's the link where I wrote some comments.

Yuki Saito - Suna no Shiro (Yuki Saito ~ Sand Castles)

I am also LDS member.

I was in Minnesota, USA for college until last summer.

I recently became fan of Yuki Saito. In 90s, She was famous as an actress. She made some hit TV dramas.

She got marred, and had three kids.

Recently, she began to sing again. She opened concert last Christmas Eve. Her concert tickets were sold out soon.

My favorite her songs are Yume no naka e (Inside a/My Dream) and Shiroi Honoo (White Flame).

Inside a/My Dream
pixel-vfl73.gif

Yuki Saito - Yume no Naka e

Shiroi Honoo (White Flame) opening theme song for Sukeban Deka 1 (Sukeban Detectives 1)
pixel-vfl73.gif

"Sukeban deka I" - Ending

Anyway, where you were (were you) in Japan as a missionary, which part of Japan were you in?

I am now in Niigata."

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
I was a missionary in Japan from 85 to 87 and was in Yuki Saito's Yokohama Stake. We were able to hear her father speak at a Stake Conference, but were unable to see Yuki at that meeting, but we heard so much about her from other LDS members and people on the street, while we were there, but we weren't allowed to watch television, so it's great to be able to finally see and hear this stuff for the first time.

Yuki Saito

斉藤由貴「今だけの真実」

懐_saンmaTV 斉藤*由貴 1988年 part1

In this part of the interview she says she doesn't smoke, drink alcohol, coffee or tea because of her church. Then she asks him if he knows which church she belongs to and he says "Yes, Mormon church right?".

懐_saンmaTV 斉藤*由貴 1988年 part2

1986年12月17日 昼TVタモリ 1

1986年12月17日 昼TVタモリ 2

Last edited: