• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yuki Saito ~ LDS Japanese pop singer

nutshell

No, I'm focusing on the good she did, rather than Nutshell's supposed/alleged sins she may or may not have commited, which I don't have any proof of, just Nutshell's word...

I'ld like to see a link to this dark past you seem to know all about Nutshell. You only suggested you had read or heard about her from a tabloid magazine and I know you can't read kanji to the degree that you could pick up a Japanese tabloid and read it fluently, so you're most likely going by what someone else said or read about her in a Japanese tabloid.

Let's see a link in Kanji or otherwise...

It's not supposed or alleged. She had a newsconference and discussed the issue herself.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

As for my ability to read/write kanji - you know nothing of that, you pompous you know what.

FFH

Veteran Member
Also the Mormon Tabernacle choir came to Japan in 1985 and we went to two of their concerts, while they were there.

Here is a list of the dates and countries they've toured since 1893

Western Europe (1955, 1973, 1998)
Central America (1968, 1972)
The Far East (1979)
Brazil (1981)
Scandinavia (1982)
Japan (1985)
Australia/New Zealand (1988)
Central Europe and the former Soviet Union (1991)
Israel (1993)

Some ward members or investigators, I can't remember which, were nice enough to buy us tickets and take us to two of their concerts..

FFH

Veteran Member
It's not supposed or alleged. She had a newsconference and discussed the issue herself.
Still no link, just your word...

According to my links she is married, her married name now being Yuki Isarai.

Guess her husband's okay with her alleged affair, or was it just an obsession, no physical contact or full blown sex involved.

You need to provide links if you're gonna accuse, otherwise what you say has no credibility....

Nutshell said:
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Sorry to burst your bubble too, Nutshell, it wouldn't make any difference to me either way...

As for my ability to read/write kanji - you know nothing of that
Let's get real, even the average Japanese student cannot read a newspaper fluently until they are well into high school...

There are like, what, 5,000 kanji, and you need to know at least 500 to get by...

But again this is not a debate forum so it may be best to just leave it at that...

FFH

Veteran Member
Her best song and best performance of this song, just added a few weeks ago
Kayama Yuzo sings with Matsuda Seiko
Probably late 80's here

Matsuda Seiko - Sweet Merories

Kayama Yuzo sings to Matsuda Seiko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJf5O0UzhY

Okay gotta post one more artist and then I may have to start another thread featuring Japanese singers

Not sure who this is yet, definitely the mid 80's though

森口博子 ETERNAL WIND (3本)

Here she is singing it recently.

Eternal Wind

Kamikaze Attacks - Eternal Wind

nutshell

Still no link, just your word...

According to my links she is married, her married name now being Yuki Isarai.

Guess her husband's okay with her alleged affair, or was it just an obsession, no physical contact or full blown sex involved.

You need to provide links if you're gonna accuse, otherwise what you say has no credibility....

I'll find links if I can. However, it has been confirmed by several of my Japanese friends. Sometimes things are real even if you don't have "links" for them.

Sorry to burst your bubble too, Nutshell, it wouldn't make any difference to me either way...

I know. And it doesn't make a difference to me either. I know she's done a lot of good, but I despise hero worship.

Let's get real, even the average Japanese student cannot read a newspaper fluently until they are well into high school...

There are like, what, 5,000 kanji, and you need to know at least 500 to get by...

But again this is not a debate forum so it may be best to just leave it at that...

Lets get real. I'm a professional freelance translator. My work includes complicated medical and legal documents and some easy stuff in the hospitality industry.

Did I burst your bubble this time?:cool:

FFH

Veteran Member
Who says there are no Christian Japanese ???

Amazing Grace (Nihon style)

Amazing Grace

Gives me chills...

FFH

Veteran Member
Figured out who this is, it's Hiroko Moriguchi, great singer for sure.
She sung several anime theme songs in the mid 80's.

Hiroko Moriguchi

森口博子 ETERNAL WIND (3本)

This site/link below won't let me cut and past these lyrics, but it has the Kanji, Romaji and English translation of this song.

Cool stuff...
Anime Lyrics dot Com - Eternal Wind -Hohoemi wa Hikaru Kaze no naka (Smiling Inside the Shining Wind)

Looks like she's done some more recent commercials.

松尾スズキ [ダイハツCM]

Hiroko Moriguchi

Feelings of violet -Try Me Again-

Short skit, just posting this here to view later

大人計画 1992年TV出演「新し者」1 

FFH

Veteran Member
I'll find links if I can. However, it has been confirmed by several of my Japanese friends. Sometimes things are real even if you don't have "links" for them.
In a forum setting like this, people demand links to substantiate their positions.

I'll do the same by asking you to substantiate your claims...

Would be interested in the details of your claims, so far you have been vague about them..

By claiming you "heard it from a Japanese friend" is not good enough for me or anyone else on this forum and so far you have also been very vague about the allegations...
I know she's done a lot of good, but I despise hero worship.
Who's worshipping Saito Yuki, if anything she stood against the norm in Japan and stirred things up a bit and probably got most she worked for ticked off..

Where I served, ALL businesses were open on Sunday and this presented a challenge to the people we taught, since they could not get off on Sunday to come to church.

One investigator read the Book of Mormon several times on his way to work on the train and had, what he called, "God/Kamisama" appear to him face to face as he was lying in bed. He came frantically knocking on our door and said "God/Kamisama" appeared to me and said "God/Kamisama" said to him, "why haven't you joined the church ???".

We were surprised to, say the least, I often wondered who appeared to him, was it God/Jesus, an angel, a deceased relative ???

He claimed it was "God/Kamisama," but then again, if a resurrected being appeared to him it could have been anyone..

We knew we would never know for sure.

He stated the biggest reason he could not join the church is because he had to work all day Sunday, every Sunday, and could not risk asking for it off, in order to join and attend church on Sunday.

He was the last investigator before I left Japan.

Japanese small business owners closed their doors on Monday or Tuesday it seemed, or whichever was their slowest day, in order to take a day off, but never on a Sunday would they close their doors..

I remember, distinctly, a big news event, after I recently returned home to the states. A Japanese business man died on his way home from work, he was in his 30's and had worked for years, 7 days a week, until he literally died of exhaustion.

I've tried to working 7 days a week, without a day off, and felt like I was nearly going to pass out, just doing that 3 or 4 weeks in a row, about 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Then I tried it again a few years later, I gave into works demands/main boss and did it for a couple of weeks and got in a motorcycle accident and was out of work for a year.

IT"S NOT WORTH IT....

I look at people like Saito Yuki as examples of standing up for what they believe in, in spite of the opposition...

Being LDS in a Buddhist dominated country and exherting her rights to not work on Sunday speaks volumes to me...

I told work, point a gun to my head, I'm not working on Sunday...

IT'S NOT WORTH IT...

Bad stuff has happens to me when I gave into pressure and work Sundays.

I won't ever do it again. and as a result I will also never run a store again, which I've done on two different occasions, one with an owner who allowed me to close the doors on Sunday, and once with the same owner who would not allow me to close the doors on Sunday.. They tricked me one time by saying go run the store and we'll let you close the doors on Sunday and then later recanted their offer and I told them I would rather leave the company, they quickly gave me a bonus and put me in another store as an assistant manager..

I will not and cannot ever run my own store again, because it means asking others to work on Sunday, which I also refuse to do, so all I can do is be an assistant, which is half the pay as the main manager, but I don't need anymore than I have now, I have enough and plenty to spare, even as an assistant and it's just the pizza biz...or I could, of course, work somewhere else that's closed on Sunday, but I feel I am where I'm supposed to be...

The main owner was an active LDS member, he just sold out a few weeks ago and he opened all his stores on Sunday and I couldn't convince him to do otherwise. He just sold out to his partner, who is an inactive LDS member, as far as I know . never really asked him, just assumed, since he knew all about how things worked in the church, but never said he was a member or ever went to church, and he will never close the doors on Sunday, he has made that clear, and he still doesn't understand why I won't work on Sunday or manage a store for him, even though he begs me too and sometimes threatens, I just tell him you are discriminating against me because of my religious beliefs, which dictate to me not to work on Sunday and he backs off and scratches his head. He doesn't get it, nor do most people.

I was offered a management position in another business that was closed on Sunday and they are doing extremely well, but for some reason I felt uneasy about it and passed it up, making a lot more money. Money isn't my motivator, happiness is.. I am happy here and feel this is where I should be..

Before the current owners took over, the previous owner, whom I had known and worked for back in the day in 1984, closed the doors on Sunday, when he took over 4 of the stores and we did more business than we are currently doing now, with little or no advertising..

The current owners spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars a month on advertising for each story and are doing less business than the previous owner, who probably spent a couple hundred dollars, if that even, or no dollars on advertising that I was aware of and the business was fine and continued to make a profit...

Closing a business on Sunday makes a bisiness flourish, I've seen it work...

I'm a professional freelance translator. My work includes complicated medical and legal documents and some easy stuff in the hospitality industry.
Good for you, seriously, sounds like a great job, and I'm, of course, well aware of the challenge of reading and writing Kanji and the struggle it must be to translate it...

Sorry if I offended you earlier..

Did I burst your bubble this time?:cool:
I knew you were well versed in the Japanese language, but not to that extent.

Reading and writing kanji takes years to be fluent in, as you are well aware of..

I only studied one semester of kanji at the University of Utah and quickly abandoned the idea of being prolifent in that area, what a challenge, no doubt, I feel sorry for those cultures who have to deal with this style of writing, it's a definite challenge, but I like the challenge to a certain degree, it's fun to recognize certain kanji and be able to read a sentence or two or be able to finally recognize certain kanji which helps you in every day life in Japan......

I obviously don't know what level your at, and don't want to offend you again, just want a solid link, not just "a friend told me," or "there was a news/press conference".

I need more solid evidence and I'm sure their may be others reading this thead who might want the same, not that it would make any diffence though, just so we can know one way or the other if your unsubtantiated claim is true or not.

This is a demanding forum, I can't just say God is real, or I've seen Jesus, the three Nephites or an angel, for example, without any evidence to back up my claims.

Some things are real, whether we have evidences or links, to back our claims, but this is something that can be substanted by providing a link to a news conference, in Japanese, printed or video/audio link. .

Please provide evidence to your claims, otherwise it's just unsubstantiated gossip.

FFH

Veteran Member
And just how old are you FFH? :sarcastic
41 Becky...

I'm an old geezer, but don't look or act my age... Just the other day a customer said are you the one who answered the phone ??? You look like a teenager, but that's a bit extreme, most say 25 tops. Many I work with have no clue my actual age, they just assume I am close to their age, which is much younger and even assume I'm not married.

I get no respect..;)

I have a few grey hairs, which I leave to try and show my age to some degree.

I refuse to grow old and grumpy like the rest of society and I eat little meat, if any, and try to eat healthy, even though I'm around pizza an average of 10 hours a day... I practically live here at work except Thursdays and Sundays. Thursdays I come in, but only for about 3 hours to close up the store... I close the store every day except Sunday and they sure give me a hard time for that, but I really don't care any more, that's why I look up to Yuki Saito as an example of the faith I want to live.

The Japanese are strict observers of the LDS faith and won't drink Coke either, even though we know it's not spoken of in the Word of Wisdom, they are smart enough to read between the lines and include it as against the Word of Wisdom and we as missionaries we were required to do the same as an example......

I might post a pic of myself later on. My wife is always using the camera and has the card full, no room for me in there...;)

I prefer being anonymous to some degree though, like Nutshell, it seems to add to the mystery and it would be boring or distracting if we knew all about each other...

FFH

Veteran Member
Yuki Saito emmulated, and I'm sure still emmulates, the qualities of a little child, which Christ commanded us to do.

3 Nephi 11
37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

I try to emmulate these qualities, as well, but the world takes advantage of this, because they assume weakness..

I "bite" back when necessary and so did Christ.

FFH

Veteran Member
Most people my age neither look like me or act like me, they all assume I'm much much younger, so I go along with that, for the most part, and never mention my age, unless it comes up...

My wife is the same, she looks much much younger than she really is and she's even older than myself and looks younger than myself.

We are an odd couple, in the sense that we look much younger than we actually are, so people don't know what to make of us..

FFH

Veteran Member
And just how old are you FFH? :sarcastic
Not into anime, if that's what you're thinking, never even seen any anime (Japanese cartoons) just the ones I've glanced at on U-tube, in the last few days...
So what's the reason for the face...:sarcastic ,,,not acting enough of my age for ya...

What's a 40 year old supposed to act like Becky ???

Stuffy and a know it all, with a "respectable" career ????

I've tried the corporate world, worked for Delta airlines at age 21, when they first opened up here in Salt Lake, as a major hub, flew to Atlanta, Hawaii, took a trip to Colorado Springs, all for free, within 8 months of working there, and they also offered us free airfare to anywhere in the world, after one year of service. I lasted 8 months and couldn't stand it there..

I hate corporate America..

EDIT: and was told by an elder's quorum president, flat out, that that was not where the Lord wanted me to be, but I refused to listen, because it was a nice cushy job, even though I hated it, I put up with it, for the free airfare, until I felt the Lord literally pushing me in this direction years ago....

I could not do anything else, that's the only way I can describe it, even though I wanted another type of life than the one I'm living...

Bishka

Veteran Member
Not into anime, if that's what you're thinking, never even seen any anime (Japanese cartoons) just the ones I've glanced at on U-tube in the last few days.

So what's the reason for the face...:sarcastic Not acting enough of my age for ya...

You would think at your age your would have better things to do then obsess over a Japanese pop-star. ;) Another thing, you do not look like others your age, would you like to know why? You do not have children, children age people very quickly. I've none some individuals that were older then my mother but they didn't look a day over 30.

FFH

Veteran Member
You would think at your age your would have better things to do then obsess over a Japanese pop-star. ;)
I haven't given her one minutes thought in over 20 years, since my mission, and even then we just used her name to break the ice with cold contacts (people we would approach for the first time and share the gospel with) and had forgotten her name and struggled to remember it, then a few months back her name came to mind loud and clear, and I remembered it vividly and what she looked like, so I started searching on U-tube for her and it just so happened that many people had just recently started to post her work she had done in the mid 80's, then again, just the other day, an LDS Japanese girl, who is probably in her 20's, who works next door, came in to order pizza and I had seen her next door earlier that day and didn't realize she worked there, and also didn't realize she was Japanese or LDS.

It was a weird coincidence that I should notice her that day and never before and she has worked their for a while, she gave me her name when ordering a pizza and I knew it might be Japanese, but she was so Americanized thta it was hard to tell she was Japanese. I asked if she was Japanese and she said yes, but she had been raised in the states, and it sparked a conversation, and again I felt compelled to look to see if any more of Yuki Saito's performances had been posted on U-tube and they had.

It's not me wanting to do this, it's the Lord prompting me to do it, but I also have benefitted from doing this. She has great talent and I really had no idea the extent of her work until I started looking into these links recently posted on U-tube.

We were not allowed to listen to music or television and only a few times did I ever see anything on Japanese television, one time Little House on the Prarie was on, in Japanese, of course, and it was cool to see that.

Christian themes run throughout Japan. The Lord is very much aware of them, of course, and has saved many out of that Buddhist dominated country...

Yuki was just one of those Christian lights in a darkened world/country and it is dark there at times for sure, but thanks to many Christian efforts in that country it helped to lighten things up over there and make it a great experience...

Another thing, you do not look like others your age, would you like to know why? You do not have children, children age people very quickly.
True, very true, children seem to age couples for some reason, even though it doesn't have to be that way..
I've known some individuals that were older then my mother but they didn't look a day over 30.
Yeah and I definitely don't look like the mothers and fathers of the kids I work with and they are mostly all my age.

They come in asking about their sons and daughters and I reassure them they are fine.

They are way too mean, some of them, and it reflects in their kids attitudes..

I know I am supposed to work with many of those I work with..

We can be positive influences in a darkened world, and it is dark here where I work. Herriman is a rich, drug infested area, even though it's brand new, with half a million to million dollar homes, most kids are struggling here and my neighbor, a young high school kid, who is LDS, in my word, was "curbed" last year and in a coma and pulled out of it after the ward fasted and prayed for him, another kid was not so blessed and died as a result of the same type of injury. These kids are ruthless if you mess with them or don't respect them, LDS or not..

FFH

Veteran Member
You would think at your age your would have better things to do then obsess over a Japanese pop-star.
Also, she is much more to me than just a pop star. I lived in her stake for around 8 months, her father being the stake president at the time, she lived literally just next door, compared to the vast country of Japan, stakes covering a larger area than Utah, of course..

She is also my age and that seems to make a connection for me... I was part of that era and culture for nearly two years in the mid 80's and it brings back good memories of that time spent in Japan...

Not being able to see her work, while in Japan, of course would make me want to see what she had done, and I'm just now seeing her work for the first time, thanks to U-tube, what a great time to be alive.

Yuki Saito was well known throughtout Japan, it seemed, of course, and this was especially significant and helpful to us a missionaires, the least I can do is post a simple thread honoring her...

Nutshell and his friends know about her, so obviously she's had that much of a far reaching influence.

This is not an obsession, this forum does not do any of us justice, I have a life, but life is not all roses and all of us need a distraction from the day to day grind of this life, and this forum is a good distraction...

This is only one of 186 threads, I've started...

I have other Christian music artists I admire and listen to much more than I have ever listened to Yuki's work, which is just a recent discovery and a novelty for me it has much natsukashi/sentimental value for me... I love the Japanese language and love listening to it, especially in music form.

I have exausted all the links to these other artists, Yuki Saito definitely has the most u-tube links, more than I had originally thought I would find, so it looks like an obsession, when in reality it's a deep admiration and awe of what she accomplished in such an overtly non-Christian/Buddhist country and I also particularly love the Japanese culture, much more than our "nose in the air" American culture...

Japan is the complete opposite of that... Bowing to one another is still pracitced...

They are very respectful to each other, they were and to some degree still are an innocent almost sheltered culture, which is very rare in this world.

FFH's threads

This thread is my favorite one right now, though, it reminds me of some good times we had in Japan. Japan rocks, the states are very very boring compared to Japan..

Not going to apoligize for creating an extensive thread about her and other singers of similar age and popularity of that time (the mid 80's) a lot of good music came out of that era...

I love music in all it's forms...can't get enough of it...

It's the music I can't get enough of, in all of it's forms, not the artist...

You're only seeing a side of my personality that's not really there....

I've said it before, this forum does not do any of us any justice whatsoever...