• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

YouTube Tragedy and a lesson in changing society.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I suspect genetics had some role. At least partially.

A Gene For Violence?

Yes, I know I'm in a minority right now, but I didn't choose my personality. I just always recall feeling the same ways towards events in my life.

What makes me angry has always made me angry. I've just modified the ways I deal with that anger.

I don't know if they really would find a genetic trait for violence, but what if they did. Would we try to help the violently inclined or lock them away?

Heard on the radio she was a vegan, never violent to anyone. So what set her off? Perhaps some genetic propensity towards violence triggered by her anger.

Ah, so maybe that's why all of these mass shootings have been perpetrated by Persian women. Oh, wait.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think YouTube should stop monetizing and return to its roots as a forum of creative expression and Free Speech.

Making a living from YouTube is just about one of the most worthless " careers" I can think of.

I agree, but why stop at youtube? Television shows and movies show also be created for free, and the greedy actors, directors, etc. should work for free, regardless of how much time and money is required to produce their movies/shows. Why should YouTube have to share any of the ad revenue that's generated by other people's hard work?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I agree, but why stop at youtube? Television shows and movies show also be created for free, and the greedy actors, directors, etc. should work for free, regardless of how much time and money is required to produce their movies/shows. Why should YouTube have to share any of the ad revenue that's generated by other people's hard work?
I think a good majority of YouTubers don't have that kind of production value that professionals have that would make them even come close to deserving of monetization.

Come to think of it, television already is its own type of "YouTube" with all these crap shovelware "reality" type shows with the same type of narcissistic and sociopathic people right at the forefront plastering their faces all over the place.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I watched one of her videos where she complained about YouTube censoring her videos but not censoring Nicki Minaj's video. She definitely had a valid point concerning the hypocritical nature of YouTubes' policies. Still that does not give her the right to use violence as a tool to solve her issues.

Even if her livelihood was threatened, she should have realized that her business was completely dependent on YouTube. Her product would not have been possible without YouTube in the first place. To fight YouTube, everyone still has the ability of open dialog and the justice system if they feel their contracts have been breached.

This is not new to society. It is like being fired from a job and becoming disgruntled.

Difference is the only reason why Youtube is making an issue is because of advertisers....Do you know how many videos of "pranks in da hood" videos were out without being filtered? We are are talking about since Youtube came out. This is all about money.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
From what I can gather is that the media is buzzing about her mental state as the relevant sub-topics are a result of her mental state. This will probably tick some folks off, but for me, her simply taking part in PETA protests indicates that she is definitely an extremist with views she felt demanded hearing. When you have already crossed that bridge who can say where things will lead?

As per her loss of income. From what I understand is you have to be receiving millions of hits on YouTube before it adds up to anything substantial. Most of the people I frequent use Patrion to generate real donations as the dribble from YouTube doesn't add up to a hill of beans. Her paranoia may have confused her over the public's general lack of interest in her "work" with that of YouTube limiting her exposure. It could have been a bit of both. The thing is, if you are worried that YouTube might be filtering your content away from the general YouTube audience one should take that as a sign that they are perhaps hovering on the fringe of acceptability. Plus, YouTube is under no compulsion to allow content they find objectionable and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

She must have been an experience to have a conversation with especially if you ideas diverged from her narrow focus.

Likewise, I've read that her family contacted the police when she went missing for a few days and they found her in her car not far from the YouTube headquarters. To use a medical term, if she "presented" well enough to the police who stopped her they may not have any ability to intervene. As you know @Epic Beard Man just because someone has mental challenges does not mean that they are a drooling and raving obvious nutcase. (Though if you listen closely you might begin to hear the theme from Jaws.)

I understand having a mental disability does not make you some driveling automaton but I was insinuating that from the media's perspective this may be something they'll look at. You're right about millions of viewers such as pewdiepie who has had the most of all of Youtube.

suncowiam

Difference is the only reason why Youtube is making an issue is because of advertisers....Do you know how many videos of "pranks in da hood" videos were out without being filtered? We are are talking about since Youtube came out. This is all about money.

Of course it's about money. Youtube changed their monetization policies. I get that...

But it's their service to begin with. Streamers have little to no options outside of Youtube to stream their content. When you're tied to the hip with a business entity, in business, that is considered a huge liability. IMO, it's not sustainable so people assuming they had a cash cow with Youtube did not fully understand their business venture.

Even then, if people feel they have legally stances then they should follow up in court against Youtube or fight a social campaign against Youtube. It's rhetorical that I should say we don't go murdering random people and then ourselves because of a business conflict. The people she hurt probably had no involvement with Youtube's policies.

Don't get tied to the hip with one business partner especially if that partner is your only monetization provider. It's business 101.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think a good majority of YouTubers don't have that kind of production value that professionals have that would make them even come close to deserving of monetization.
I believe that have to maintain a certain level of viewership in order to monetize their content. If it's mediocre crap that no one is watching, then they make nothing. Like any form of entertainment, better quality = more money serves as the incentive.

Come to think of it, television already is its own type of "YouTube" with all these crap shovelware "reality" type shows with the same type of narcissistic and sociopathic people right at the forefront plastering their faces all over the place.
Again, they only make money if people actually watch. TV and YouTube both profit from sponsorship and advert revenue.

Yes, there is a lot of garbage on both YouTube and television that's inexplicably popular, but it wouldn't turn a profit without a demand, so the viewers share blame as well.

Edit: corrected incorrect auto-correct.

Last edited:

Jumi

I understand, but stand by my point. Unless she was getting millions of hits or several hundred thousand hits consistently, her take home wouldn't have been very much at all.
Guess it depends on how much money you're used to being much. If you're counting dollars or cents if you can afford food or saving for a set of clothing, you might have a different view from someone making a median income in the US.

Jumi

Sure, and the way I would react was to covertly defeat the object of my anger. The thought of physically harming a person never crossed my mind.

Something like hacking their computer, something sneaky.

Not something I chose, just the way I am. Just curious how much genetics has to do with our personalities.
What I figure from this is you've probably lived in rather safe environments with law enforcement you can trust. Someone growing up as a woman of a persecuted minority in Iran might have a bit different experience.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What I figure from this is you've probably lived in rather safe environments with law enforcement you can trust. Someone growing up as a woman of a persecuted minority in Iran might have a bit different experience.

Sure, but you wouldn't expect all minority from Iran to react in the same way would you?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ah, so maybe that's why all of these mass shootings have been perpetrated by Persian women. Oh, wait.

I don't know why you'd assume race would be necessarily relevant. Even siblings have different personalities as babies.

Jumi

Sure, but you wouldn't expect all minority from Iran to react in the same way would you?
Of course not and some of them might be unlucky and traumatized. Others might course their way through life with burdens they can deal with. I'm just saying that her environment might have left her to deal with amounts of humiliation and anger you might not be able to imagine.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't know why you'd assume race would be necessarily relevant. Even siblings have different personalities as babies.

Not to mention that people of different races have more in common if they share a culture than those of the same race who share different cultures. For example, I can probably relate more to a fellow american of a different race than I could to another Caucasian from a different country.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Of course not and some of them might be unlucky and traumatized. Others might course their way through life with burdens they can deal with. I'm just saying that her environment might have left her to deal with amounts of humiliation and anger you might not be able to imagine.

Or not.

I don't know her life and I'm not about to pretend to. If you know all about her life, then I suppose you're the expert and can explain to everyone why she did what she did.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not to mention that people of different races have more in common if they share a culture than those of the same race who share different cultures.

Yes, so why don't all people of a same culture react in the same way? There's a lot of factors which influence behavior. I suspect genetics is part of that mixture of influence.

Jumi

I don't know her life and I'm not about to pretend to. If you know all about her life, then I suppose you're the expert and can explain to everyone why she did what she did.
Perhaps you're the expert.

Jumi

No, but I try to provide links when relevant.
The debate on nature versus nurture has been going on for quite a long time. You want some links on how environment can change people? I only have to look at my own country how prosperity changed a famed violent-gened country into a model of peace and quiet, but I've read studies about it also, long ago...

I'm sure genes always play some role, but I think it's too easy to make more of the gene expression changes under duress than simply saying someone has a violence-gene.