• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're not so smart.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The club's battle cry just happens by coincidence to be the same as Revoltistan's.....
Damn the torpedoes! Full speed astern!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
My roamings in the internets rewarded me with this gem yesterday:

The Illusion of Asymmetric Insight « You Are Not So Smart

You may have heard of this famous blog, on which a book is now written. The latest entry is about the dark side of our strong tendency to form groups, and it struck me as insightful.

Some highlights:

"You tend to see your self and the groups you belong to in shades of gray, but others and their groups as solid and defined primary colors lacking nuance or complexity."

and

"As psychologist Jonathan Haidt says, our minds “unite us into teams, divide us against other teams, and blind us to the truth.” It’s that last part that keeps getting you into trouble."

Of course, he's referring to most of you. I already know the truth and almost always accurately assess others.

This doesn't apply to those of us who aren't on any teams.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
My roamings in the internets rewarded me with this gem yesterday:

The Illusion of Asymmetric Insight « You Are Not So Smart

You may have heard of this famous blog, on which a book is now written. The latest entry is about the dark side of our strong tendency to form groups, and it struck me as insightful.

Some highlights:

"You tend to see your self and the groups you belong to in shades of gray, but others and their groups as solid and defined primary colors lacking nuance or complexity."

and

"As psychologist Jonathan Haidt says, our minds “unite us into teams, divide us against other teams, and blind us to the truth.” It’s that last part that keeps getting you into trouble."

Of course, he's referring to most of you. I already know the truth and almost always accurately assess others.

Aaaah, I love the smell of Duality in the morning....

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
[QUOTE/] In a political debate you feel like the other side just doesn’t get your point of view, and if they could only see things with your clarity, they would understand and fall naturally in line with what you believe. They must not understand, because if they did they wouldn’t think the things they think. By contrast, you believe you totally get their point of view and you reject it. You see it in all its detail and understand it for what it is – stupid. You don’t need to hear them elaborate. So, each side believes they understand the other side better than the other side understands both their opponents and themselves. [QUOTE/]

This part really struck me as quite interesting. Shows me exactly why my parents and my sister believe that I was never 'a part of their group'; or in their words "a true christian".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bump for an interesting topic....especially as we approach the time of tooth & claw in Nov 2012.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I love the other posts in his blog, too. Just a great blog.
This excerpt reminds me of posters who are prone ad hominem arguments....
"The researchers explained this is how one eventually arrives at the illusion of naive realism, or believing your thoughts and
perceptions are true, accurate and correct, therefore if someone sees things differently than you or disagrees with you in
some way it is the result of a bias or an influence or a shortcoming. You feel like the other person must have been tainted in
some way, otherwise they would see the world the way you do – the right way. The illusion of asymmetrical insight clouds your
ability to see the people you disagree with as nuanced and complex. You tend to see your self and the groups you belong to in
shades of gray, but others and their groups as solid and defined primary colors lacking nuance or complexity."
Of course, that happens only on other forums, where less advanced minds wallow. They smell bad too.

Last edited: