• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on other religions

Crypto2015

it means i believe in what Jesus taught and not what the church says He taught.

I was citing verses from the Bible. Do you think that part of the Bible is not inspired by God? Furthermore, I showed you that Jesus himself said that whoever believes in him HAS eternal life and will be resurrected on the last day.

jaybird

I was citing verses from the Bible. Do you think that part of the Bible is not inspired by God? Furthermore, I showed you that Jesus himself said that whoever believes in him HAS eternal life and will be resurrected on the last day.
I agree that belief in Him gives salvation
You and I have different opinions on what "belief in Him" means

Clear

Premium Member
Clear Said : “ Crypto2015 : Your complaints regarding Musing Bassist’s posts are irrelevant since they do not touch on the point he’s actually making. Instead, they criticize positions he's not taking. His point, that a person who has never rejected Jesus, (indeed, one who has never heard of Jesus), is in a different state than one who hears of the authentic gospel, and, with understanding, rejects it. The first is not culpable of specific rejection while the other is.

Musing Bassist gave the example of one who has never heard of Jesus. It is injustice to punish a person for rejecting a truth they never had access to. This, a just God does not do. For example, an infant who is born and lives for a month has not sinned. The infant is neither culpable of having made any choice to sin, nor has the infant accepted Jesus. The infant cannot justly be punished.

I think this is, partly Musing Bassists’ point. The Catholic position seems to be wonderfully “nuanced” (as M.B. pointed out) on this specific point. It is a wise and wonderful distinction the Catholics are making on this specific point.
” (Post #34)

Crypto2015 replied : “ I hadn't noticed this. You must understand that God does not condemn us for rejecting Jesus. He condemn us because of our sins. All of us have sinned and deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell. So, condemnation comes not as a punishment for unbelief (this would be unjust), but as a punishment for our sins (this is just). “ Post #40

So, in your religious interpretation, one is not punished for an informed rejection of Jesus' offering but rather, one is punished for “our sins”.

What sin does a month old infant commit, for which a just God would punish them with rage and eternal punishment in a hell?

Clear
σιφινεω

Last edited:

Crypto2015

Clear Said : “ Crypto2015 : Your complaints regarding Musing Bassist’s posts are irrelevant since they do not touch on the point he’s actually making. Instead, they criticize positions he's not taking. His point, that a person who has never rejected Jesus, (indeed, one who has never heard of Jesus), is in a different state than one who hears of the authentic gospel, and, with understanding, rejects it. The first is not culpable of specific rejection while the other is.

Musing Bassist gave the example of one who has never heard of Jesus. It is injustice to punish a person for rejecting a truth they never had access to. This, a just God does not do. For example, an infant who is born and lives for a month has not sinned. The infant is neither culpable of having made any choice to sin, nor has the infant accepted Jesus. The infant cannot justly be punished.

I think this is, partly Musing Bassists’ point. The Catholic position seems to be wonderfully “nuanced” (as M.B. pointed out) on this specific point. It is a wise and wonderful distinction the Catholics are making on this specific point.
” (Post #34)

Crypto2015 replied : “ I hadn't noticed this. You must understand that God does not condemn us for rejecting Jesus. He condemn us because of our sins. All of us have sinned and deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell. So, condemnation comes not as a punishment for unbelief (this would be unjust), but as a punishment for our sins (this is just). “ Post #40

So, in your religious interpretation, one is not punished for an informed rejection of Jesus' offering but rather, one is punished for “our sins”.

What sin does a month old infant commit, for which a just God would punish them with rage and eternal punishment in a hell?

Clear
σιφινεω

I don't think that a month-old baby goes to hell if he dies at that age, since he probably doesn't even understand what right and wrong are. I must confess, though, that I am just stating my opinion because I don't really know what happens to babies when they die. However, all of those who are old enough to understand the difference between right and wrong have sinned and therefore need to accept Jesus' sacrifice in order to be saved. How is it possible that you don't even know that God sends people to hell not for rejecting Jesus (which would be incredibly unfair), but for the HUGE amount of sins that we commit on a daily basis? Sins that, by the way, can be forgiven only if we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. If you don't accept Jesus' propitiatory death on the cross you will have to pay for your sins yourself. This will result in eternal damnation. Contrary to what you said, this is not my interpretation. This is Christianity 101.

Last edited:

jaybird

there is a passage in Samuel that teaches on deaths of young children
2 Samuel 12 22

22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted, and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether God will have mercy on me, that the child may live?

23 But now being dead, wherefore should I now fast? a]">[a]Can I bring him again anymore? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

Clear

Premium Member

” (Post #34)

Clear Said : " So, in your religious interpretation, one is not punished for an informed rejection of Jesus' offering but rather, one is punished for “our sins”.
What sin does a month old infant commit, for which a just God would punish them with rage and eternal punishment in a hell? " (Post #43)

Crypto2015 replied : " I don't think that a month-old baby goes to hell if he dies at that age, since he probably doesn't even understand what right and wrong are. " (post # 45)

So, in your religious theory Crypto2015, a month-old baby does not sin, and he does not sin because he has limited moral competency and the place where the infant ends up is not a place of punishment (since he hasn't sinned).
What about a 40 year old person who has the same, limited moral competency as the infant. They are of age, but do not sin any more than an infant sins. What happens to this person in your religious theory?

Clear
ακτωσεω

Crypto2015

” (Post #34)

Clear Said : " So, in your religious interpretation, one is not punished for an informed rejection of Jesus' offering but rather, one is punished for “our sins”.
What sin does a month old infant commit, for which a just God would punish them with rage and eternal punishment in a hell? " (Post #43)

Crypto2015 replied : " I don't think that a month-old baby goes to hell if he dies at that age, since he probably doesn't even understand what right and wrong are. " (post # 45)

So, in your religious theory Crypto2015, a month-old baby does not sin, and he does not sin because he has limited moral competency and the place where the infant ends up is not a place of punishment (since he hasn't sinned).
What about a 40 year old person who has the same, limited moral competency as the infant. They are of age, but do not sin any more than an infant sins. What happens to this person in your religious theory?

Clear

The infant in my example does not have "limited moral competency". He does not have any moral competency at all. A completely mentally retarded adult, whose mind is that of a few-month-old baby (I actually doubt that someone like this can exist), would have to be treated as a baby, from a moral point of view. However, this is just my opinion. I don't have any Biblical verses to support this view.

Don't try to say that pagans that have never heard the Gospel have limited moral competency, just like little babies, because this is simply not true. Such a statement would be in direct contradiction with Biblical passages such as this:

"For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." (Romans 2:12-16)

The real problem here is that Catholics believe that we are saved by works. That's why they can't help but to believe that a "nice" person must necessarily be saved. This is anti-Biblical and heretical. John Paul II was one of the first to enunciate this blasphemy. Actually, he contradicted other Popes in the process of blaspheming, which clearly shows that Papal infallibility is a heretical myth.

Pope Innocent III (circa 1160 - 1216 CE) At the Fourth Lateran Council (a.k.a. the General Council of Lateran, and the Great Council) he wrote: "There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside of which no one at all can be saved."

Pope Boniface VIII (1235-1303 CE) promulgated a Papal Bull in 1302 CE titled Unam Sanctam (One Holy). He wrote, in part:
"Urged by faith, we are obliged to believe and to maintain that the Church is one, holy, catholic, and also apostolic. We believe in her firmly and we confess with simplicity that outside of her there is neither salvation nor the remission of sins...In her then is one Lord, one faith, one baptism [Ephesians 4:5]. There had been at the time of the deluge only one ark of Noah, prefiguring the one Church, which ark, having been finished to a single cubit, had only one pilot and guide, i.e., Noah, and we read that, outside of this ark, all that subsisted on the earth was destroyed....Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff."

Pope Eugene IV, (1388-1447 CE) wrote a Papal bull in 1441 CE titled Cantate Domino. One paragraph reads:
"It [the Church] firmly believes, professes, and proclaims that those not living within the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics cannot become participants in eternal life, but will depart 'into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels' [Matt. 25:41], unless before the end of life the same have been added to the flock; and that the unity of the ecclesiastical body is so strong that only to those remaining in it are the sacraments of the Church of benefit for salvation, and do fastings, almsgiving, and other functions of piety and exercises of Christian service produce eternal reward, and that no one, whatever almsgiving he has practiced, even if he has shed blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has remained in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church."

the John Paul II arrives and changes everything in the "Dogmatic Constitution on the Church - Lumen Gentium" (1964): "The non-Christian may not be blamed for his ignorance of Christ and his Church; salvation is open to him also, if he seeks God sincerely and if he follows the commands of his conscience, for through this means the Holy Ghost acts upon all men; this divine action is not confined within the limited boundaries of the visible Church."

So, the Pope just changes his doctrine according to the fashions of the times, without even considering the Scriptures in the process of inventing new heretical doctrines.

Last edited:

jaybird

5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”a]">[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Clear

Premium Member
1) SMALL INFANTS HAVE NO MORAL CULPABILITY

Crypto2015, I have not made any significant points yet. I am simply trying to understand your religious theories and your interpretations at this point.

Clear Said : “ Musing Bassist gave the example of one who has never heard of Jesus. It is injustice to punish a person for rejecting a truth they never had access to. This, a just God does not do. For example, an infant who is born and lives for a month has not sinned. The infant is neither culpable of having made any choice to sin, nor has the infant accepted Jesus. The infant cannot justly be punished.(Post #34)

Crypto2015 replied : “He [God] condemn us because of our sins. All of us have sinned and deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell…. (this is just). “ Post #40

Clear Said : "What sin does a month old infant commit, for which a just God would punish them with rage and eternal punishment in a hell? " (Post #43)

Clear replied : “So, in your religious theory Crypto2015, a month-old baby does not sin, and he does not sin because he has limited moral competency and the place where the infant ends up is not a place of punishment (since he hasn't sinned). What about a 40 year old person who has the same, limited moral competency as the infant.

Crypto2015 replied : “The infant in my example does not have "limited moral competency". He does not have any moral competency at all. A completely mentally retarded adult, whose mind is that of a few-month-old baby (I actually doubt that someone like this can exist), would have to be treated as a baby… “ (Post #48)

Crypto2015 - Why is it, (do you think), that infants are not morally culpable? What is it, about an infant that prevents them from being morally culpable?

2) THE DAWNING OF MORAL CULPABILITY AND THE FIRST SIN OF LIFE

Crypto2015 :

I agree with you that an infant without any moral competency does not sin and thus, cannot be justly punished. When he dies, he goes where the sinless go. However, to tease out the finer nuances of your religious theory, What about a small child who just reaches a bit of moral competence and he steals a piece of gum from his mother’s purse.

Does that child deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell for this single sin of taking a piece of gum? "

The point in this example is that this is the first and only sin this young child has, so far, been morally competent enough to recognize as “wrong”, he has not yet committed the multitude of other moral transgressions that typically occur as one ages. He has, so far, only done this one thing wrong. Is he worthy of rage and hell fire for eternity for taking this piece of gum?

3) SPECIFIC MORAL CULPABILITY FOR SPECIFIC MORAL PRINCIPLES

Crypto2015
said : “Don't try to say that pagans that have never heard the Gospel have limited moral competency, just like little babies, because this is simply not true. Such a statement would be in direct contradiction with Biblical passages such as this: "For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." (Romans 2:12-16)

I will make that claim regarding knowledge levels being associated with culpability later. However for now, I just want to understand your religious theory and your interpretations of text (such as this scripture in romans you are trying to quote.)

What do you think these verses mean in the context of our discussion?
How do you believe that law applies to those who sinned without law and die without law?
What do you think it means that those “not having law” have works of law written in their hearts and that "their reasoning both accuses and excuses them"?

Clear
ακφυφω

Last edited:

Crypto2015

1) SMALL INFANTS HAVE NO MORAL CULPABILITY

Crypto2015, I have not made any significant points yet. I am simply trying to understand your religious theories and your interpretations at this point.

Clear Said : “ Musing Bassist gave the example of one who has never heard of Jesus. It is injustice to punish a person for rejecting a truth they never had access to. This, a just God does not do. For example, an infant who is born and lives for a month has not sinned. The infant is neither culpable of having made any choice to sin, nor has the infant accepted Jesus. The infant cannot justly be punished.(Post #34)

Crypto2015 replied : “He [God] condemn us because of our sins. All of us have sinned and deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell…. (this is just). “ Post #40

Clear Said : "What sin does a month old infant commit, for which a just God would punish them with rage and eternal punishment in a hell? " (Post #43)

Clear replied : “So, in your religious theory Crypto2015, a month-old baby does not sin, and he does not sin because he has limited moral competency and the place where the infant ends up is not a place of punishment (since he hasn't sinned). What about a 40 year old person who has the same, limited moral competency as the infant.

Crypto2015 replied : “The infant in my example does not have "limited moral competency". He does not have any moral competency at all. A completely mentally retarded adult, whose mind is that of a few-month-old baby (I actually doubt that someone like this can exist), would have to be treated as a baby… “ (Post #48)

Crypto2015 - Why is it, (do you think), that infants are not morally culpable? What is it, about an infant that prevents them from being morally culpable?

Crypto2015 :

I agree with you that an infant without any moral competency does not sin and thus, cannot be justly punished. When he dies, he goes where the sinless go. However, to tease out the finer nuances of your religious theory, What about a small child who just reaches a bit of moral competence and he steals a piece of gum from his mother’s purse.

Does that child deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell for this single sin of taking a piece of gum? "

The point in this example is that this is the first and only sin this young child has, so far, been morally competent enough to recognize as “wrong”, he has not yet committed the multitude of other moral transgressions that typically occur as one ages. He has, so far, only done this one thing wrong. Is he worthy of rage and hell fire for eternity for taking this piece of gum?

3) SPECIFIC MORAL CULPABILITY FOR SPECIFIC MORAL PRINCIPLES

Crypto2015
said : “Don't try to say that pagans that have never heard the Gospel have limited moral competency, just like little babies, because this is simply not true. Such a statement would be in direct contradiction with Biblical passages such as this: "For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." (Romans 2:12-16)

I will make that claim regarding knowledge levels being associated with culpability later. However for now, I just want to understand your religious theory and your interpretations of text (such as this scripture in romans you are trying to quote.)

What do you think these verses mean in the context of our discussion?
How do you believe that law applies to those who sinned without law and die without law?
What do you think it means that those “not having law” have works of law written in their hearts and that "their reasoning both accuses and excuses them"?

Clear
ακφυφω

In my opinion when Paul uses the word "perish" in the phrase "For all who have sinned without the law also perish without the law", he is talking about spiritual death (i.e., condemnation to hell). If the word "perish" referred only to physical death, the sentence would be a ridiculous truism. Furthermore, it is evident that he is talking about spiritual death because he immediately goes on to say "and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law", which obviously refers to Judgement Day. The paragraph expounds the idea that those who have never heard the Law of Moses have no excuse for their sins because God has written a code of law on the heart of each and every human being. This code of law, which theologians call natural law, allows us to know right from wrong, even if we have never heard of Moses, Jesus, or the Bible. For instance, even a person that has grown up completely alone in a desert island knows that it is wrong to smash babies' heads against a rock. Those who never heard about the Christian God will be judged in accordance with this natural code of law.

I think it is pretty evident that when the paragraph says "their reasoning both accuses and excuses them" he is saying that as God Judges these persons that have never heard the Gospel he will considered them to have sinned or not in accordance with the natural law written on their hearts. However, notice that nowhere does it say that it is possible to be saved simply by following this natural code of law. Otherwise, the sentence "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) will not be true. So, "their reasoning both accuses and excuses them" probably means that they will receive a greater or a smaller condemnation, depending on how much their behavior has departed from the natural law. All of them will be condemned though and this is stated in "For all who have sinned without the law also perish without the law".

Crypto2015

5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”a]">[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

What Paul is saying here is perfectly consistent with salvation through faith alone because a true faith is accompanied by the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Hence, all of the people that have genuine faith in Jesus Christ will strive to walk like Jesus walked (1 John 2:6). These people will persist in doing good and seeking glory not because they want to be saved, but because they have already been saved and have the Spirit of God living in them. This is explained, for example, in the following passage:

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:4-10)

Now imagine that a person says: "I believe in Christ and hence I can kill, rape, murder, steal, commit adultery, etc. I will be saved anyway because I believe in Christ". This is not the right kind of faith. To such a person the apostle James would have said

"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." (James 2:14-17)

and the apostle Paul would have said

"Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." (Galatians 6:7-8)

So, a genuine faith saves us and by saving us produces fruits, which are the good works that we do for God. However, these works are just the outwardly manifestation of our faith. The works don't save us, our faith does.

Last edited:

jaybird

What Paul is saying here is perfectly consistent with salvation through faith alone because a true faith is accompanied by the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Hence, all of the people that have genuine faith in Jesus Christ will strive to walk like Jesus walked (1 John 2:6). These people will persist in doing good and seeking glory not because they want to be saved, but because they have already been saved and have the Spirit of God living in them. This is explained, for example, in the following passage:

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:4-10)

Now imagine that a person says: "I believe in Christ and hence I can kill, rape, murder, steal, commit adultery, etc. I will be saved anyway because I believe in Christ". This is not the right kind of faith. To such a person the apostle James would have said

"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." (James 2:14-17)

and the apostle Paul would have said

"Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." (Galatians 6:7-8)

So, a genuine faith saves us and by saving us produces fruits, which are the good works that we do for God. However, these works are just the outwardly manifestation of our faith. The works don't save us, our faith does.

not what i see

“ 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done

7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good.

why would paul say such things if they were untrue?

Crypto2015

not what i see

“ 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done

7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good.

why would paul say such things if they were untrue?

They are true. What I am trying to explain is that Christians persist in doing good and seeking glory, honour and immortality because of their faith. It is this faith, and not the works that derive from it, that justify us before God and results in the salvation of our souls. Hence, we are saved by faith, apart from the works of the law, in order to carry out good works that were prepared for us by God. These works are simply the manifestation of the faith that has already saved us.

Last edited:

jaybird

They are true. What I am trying to explain is that Christians persist in doing good and seeking glory, honour and immortality because of their faith. It is this faith, and not the works that derive from it, that justify us before God and results in the salvation of our souls. Hence, we are saved by faith, apart from the works of the law, in order to carry out good works that were prepared for us by God. These works are simply the manifestation of the faith that has already saved us.

we are saved by grace and faith i agree but i do not separate it from the works (grace/faith plus works). the Catholic doctrine posted by musing , from my understanding as im not RCC, suggest saved by works but not separated by faith/grace. worded a bit different but pretty much the same. not nearly enough to call someone a heretic over.
the paul teaching in Rom IMO supports this and does it very plainly.

And the dragon was wroth with the Woman and went to make war with the remnant of her seed which keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus.
Rev 12:17

Crypto2015

we are saved by grace and faith i agree but i do not separate it from the works (grace/faith plus works). the Catholic doctrine posted by musing , from my understanding as im not RCC, suggest saved by works but not separated by faith/grace. worded a bit different but pretty much the same. not nearly enough to call someone a heretic over.
the paul teaching in Rom IMO supports this and does it very plainly.

And the dragon was wroth with the Woman and went to make war with the remnant of her seed which keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus.
Rev 12:17

All Christians should be working on their sanctification and should keep the commandments of God. The question is: why are you saved? Does your salvation depend on your merits or on the merits of Christ? The biblical answer is that we are saved by faith alone and that a sincere faith results in good works. That's why the Scriptures say: "for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose" (Philippians 2:13) and "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God," (Ephesians 2:8). So, good works are important and we must bear good fruit, but our salvation depends only on our faith and on the merits of Christ, not on our own merits.

The Catholic answer is heretical. According to the Catholic Church, when we accept Jesus as our Savior good infuses in us the power to fulfill the law. Accepting Jesus' sacrifice for our sins is not enough to be justified by God. By using the power given to us by Jesus we must then proceed to earn our salvation through our works. Then, only if our merits are good enough and our life is holy enough, we will be able to earn our justification before God. Hence, a Catholic is never sure of his own salvation because his salvation depends not on the merits of Christ, but on his own merits. This doctrine is what the Bible condemns in the letter to Galatians. The Bible tells us that those who believe that they must earn their salvation through their own works are separated from Christ and have fallen from Grace.

The following verses will never make sense for a Catholic:

"I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life." (1 John 5:13)
"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." (John 5:24)
"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” (John 6:37-40)

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
1) INFANTS HAVE NO MORAL CULPABILITY
Clear Asked in post # 51 " Crypto2015 - Why is it, (do you think), that infants are not morally culpable? What is it, about an infant that prevents them from being morally culpable?

Clear Asked in post # 51 Crypto2015 : I agree with you that an infant without any moral competency does not sin and thus, cannot be justly punished. When he dies, he goes where the sinless go. However, to tease out the finer nuances of your religious theory, What about a small child who just reaches a bit of moral competence and he steals a piece of gum from his mother’s purse. Does that child deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell for this single sin of taking a piece of gum? "

3)
SPECIFIC MORAL CULPABILITY FOR SPECIFIC MORAL PRINCIPLES
Regarding Crypto2015s’ personal interpretation of Romans 2:12-16 as it refers to specific moral culpability

"For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." (Romans 2:12-16)

4) Crypto2015 said (post #52) : “In my opinion when Paul uses the word "perish" in the phrase "For all who have sinned without the law also perish without the law", he is talking about spiritual death (i.e., condemnation to hell).
Firstly, in the greek there is no definite article to the word “law” in this greek sentence (and there are no known significant greek variants with an article in any greek text). Thus, the sentence (vs 12) should read : For as many as have sinned without (a) law, will perish (die) without (a) law (“…Ανομως απολουνται)

5) Regarding Crypto2015s' personal interpretation of “perish” as “condemnation in hell”

You are interpreting “απολουνται” or “perish” to mean “condemnation in hell”. However, no other use of this form of this word in the new Testament means “condemnation in hell”. Your reasoning does not justify the change in meaning.

For example, when απολουνται is used in Matt 26:52 referring to those who will “…perish by the sword…” (… εν μαχαιρη απολουνται) the meaning is physical death and NOT “condemned to hell”. In hebrews 1:11, referring to the earth and the heavens, the term απολουνται, : “They will perish… (αυτοι απολουνται…) means a physical perishing / dissolving / returning to chaos. απολουνται, in this sentence, does not mean that the earth and heavens are “condemned to hell”. Even when the term is used in Luke 5:37 when the “bottles will perish…” (οι ασκοι απολουνται), the term refers to an actual physical loss. The bottles are not “condemned to hell”. Thus, in all other uses of this specific word in the N.Testament, it is used for a physical dissolving or physical perishing or physical death or physical loss.

Other than to support your ideology, why not allow the word “perish” to mean “perish” rather than “condemnation in hell”?
Your supportive data and reasoning are not helpful to your re-interpretation of Romans 2:12. For examples :

6) Crypto2015 said : “If the word "perish" referred only to physical death, the sentence would be a ridiculous truism. “
If “perish” as “death” forms a “truism”, then this actually supports leaving “perish” to mean “perish” rather than to change the meaning to “condemned to hell”. Other than that it does not fit your ideology, why would “perishing” without law be “ridiculous” such that it necessitates changing it’s meaning? (especially since most individuals in history DID die without knowledge of a Jewish or Christian law...) Why not allow that the ancients historical ideology and their interpretations are different than yours and the word “perish” means “perish” (and not “condemned to hell”)?

7) Crypto2015 said : “Furthermore, it is evident that he is talking about spiritual death because he immediately goes on to say "and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law", which obviously refers to Judgement Day.
If you are referring to temporal order, your suggested re-interpretation is less rational than the original sentences. For example, the current sentence has a temporal order of first, living, 2) then dying (perishing) and then 3) judgment. Your order of first 1) living, 2) then "condemnation in hell" and then 3) judgment. This is not as logical as the original sentence. This is another reason you should consider leaving the word “perish” with its original meaning of “perish”.

8) Crypto2015 said : “ The paragraph expounds the idea that those who have never heard the Law of Moses have no excuse for their sins because God has written a code of law on the heart of each and every human being.
Why not look at the sentences before verse 12 for a theme. For examples, The first verse speaks of mans judgment versus comparisons to God's judgment. Vs 9 speaks of every soul”… “both of Jew and of Greek” vs 10 speaks of honour and peace to everyone that works…. Vs 11 speaks of there being “no partiality with God”. That is, why not allow the theme of justice in judgment for every individual be a theme of verse 12 rather than your suggestion taken from later explanatory verses?

9) Crypto2015 said : “ This code of law, which theologians call natural law, allows us to know right from wrong, even if we have never heard of Moses, Jesus, or the Bible. For instance, even a person that has grown up completely alone in a desert island knows that it is wrong to smash babies' heads against a rock. Those who never heard about the Christian God will be judged in accordance with this natural code of law.

I very much agree with this basic point you are suggesting that God judges at least partly, according to the "natural code of law" . If one’s “natural code” or conscience is a basis for Gods' judgment, then why would a non-christian who follows their conscience be “condemned to hell”?

This is where the “Catholic nuance” starts to become important and wise. Thus, I asked you if a child who steals a piece of gum, (but who’s conscience bothers him for this first and only sin), deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell for this single sin of taking a piece of gum? Or, does the young child deserve something less? If God judges the young child by the “natural law” (as you described it) or "conscience", then what will be the small child’s fate that a just and loving God would render to the naughty young child who steals a piece of gum?

Clear
νεακφυω

Last edited:

Crypto2015

1) INFANTS HAVE NO MORAL CULPABILITY
Clear Asked in post # 51 " Crypto2015 - Why is it, (do you think), that infants are not morally culpable? What is it, about an infant that prevents them from being morally culpable?

Clear Asked in post # 51 Crypto2015 : I agree with you that an infant without any moral competency does not sin and thus, cannot be justly punished. When he dies, he goes where the sinless go. However, to tease out the finer nuances of your religious theory, What about a small child who just reaches a bit of moral competence and he steals a piece of gum from his mother’s purse. Does that child deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell for this single sin of taking a piece of gum? "

3)
Regarding Crypto2015s’ personal interpretation of Romans 2:12-16 as it refers to specific moral culpability

4) Crypto2015 said (post #52) : “In my opinion when Paul uses the word "perish" in the phrase "For all who have sinned without the law also perish without the law", he is talking about spiritual death (i.e., condemnation to hell).
Firstly, in the greek there is no definite article to the word “law” in this greek sentence (and there are no known significant greek variants with an article in any greek text). Thus, the sentence (vs 12) should read : For as many as have sinned without (a) law, will perish (die) without (a) law (“…Ανομως απολουνται)

5) Regarding Crypto2015s' personal interpretation of “perish” as “condemnation in hell”

You are interpreting “απολουνται” or “perish” to mean “condemnation in hell”. However, no other use of this form of this word in the new Testament means “condemnation in hell”. Your reasoning does not justify the change in meaning.

For example, when απολουνται is used in Matt 26:52 referring to those who will “…perish by the sword…” (… εν μαχαιρη απολουνται) the meaning is physical death and NOT “condemned to hell”. In hebrews 1:11, referring to the earth and the heavens, the term απολουνται, : “They will perish… (αυτοι απολουνται…) means a physical perishing / dissolving / returning to chaos. απολουνται, in this sentence, does not mean that the earth and heavens are “condemned to hell”. Even when the term is used in Luke 5:37 when the “bottles will perish…” (οι ασκοι απολουνται), the term refers to an actual physical loss. The bottles are not “condemned to hell”. Thus, in all other uses of this specific word in the N.Testament, it is used for a physical dissolving or physical perishing or physical death or physical loss.

Other than to support your ideology, why not allow the word “perish” to mean “perish” rather than “condemnation in hell”?
Your supportive data and reasoning are not helpful to your re-interpretation of Romans 2:12. For examples :

6) Crypto2015 said : “If the word "perish" referred only to physical death, the sentence would be a ridiculous truism. “
If “perish” as “death” forms a “truism”, then this actually supports leaving “perish” to mean “perish” rather than to change the meaning to “condemned to hell”. Other than that it does not fit your ideology, why would “perishing” without law be “ridiculous” such that it necessitates changing it’s meaning? Why not allow that the ancients historical ideology and their interpretations are different than yours and the word “perish” means “perish” (and not “condemned to hell”)?

7) Crypto2015 said : “Furthermore, it is evident that he is talking about spiritual death because he immediately goes on to say "and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law", which obviously refers to Judgement Day.
If you are referring to temporal order, your suggested re-interpretation is less rational than the original sentences. For example, the current sentence has a temporal order of first, living, 2) then dying (perishing) and then 3) judgment. Your order of first 1) living, 2) then condemnation in hell and then 3) judgment is not as logical. This is another reason you should consider leaving the word “perish” with its original meaning of “perish”.

8) Crypto2015 said : “ The paragraph expounds the idea that those who have never heard the Law of Moses have no excuse for their sins because God has written a code of law on the heart of each and every human being.
Why not look at the sentences before verse 12 for a theme. For examples, The first verse speaks of mans judgment versus comparisons to God's judgment. Vs 9 speaks of every soul”… “both of Jew and of Greek” vs 10 speaks of honour and peace to everyone that works…. Vs 11 speaks of there being “no partiality with God”. That is, why not allow the theme of justice in judgment for every individual be a theme of verse 12 rather than your suggestion taken from later explanatory verses?

9) Crypto2015 said : “ This code of law, which theologians call natural law, allows us to know right from wrong, even if we have never heard of Moses, Jesus, or the Bible. For instance, even a person that has grown up completely alone in a desert island knows that it is wrong to smash babies' heads against a rock. Those who never heard about the Christian God will be judged in accordance with this natural code of law.

I very much agree with this basic point you are suggesting that God judges according to the "natural code of law" . If one’s “natural code” or conscience is a basis for Gods' judgment, then why would a non-christian who follows their conscience be “condemned to hell”?

This is where the “Catholic nuance” starts to become important and wise. Thus, I asked you if a child who steals a piece of gum, (but who’s conscience bothers him for this first and only sin), deserve the rage of God and eternal punishment in hell for this single sin of taking a piece of gum? Or, does the young child deserve something less? If God judges the young child by the “natural law” (as you described it) or "conscience", then what will be the small child’s fate that a just and loving God would render to the naughty young child who steals a piece of gum?

Clear
νεακφυω

The Bible clearly says that "all have sin and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) and "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin" (Romans 3:20). So, neither a Christian nor a non-Christian can be justified by the law. God cannot ignore the sin of the boy that stole the piece of gum because God is perfectly just and therefore cannot overlook sin. Even that trivial sin is, when judged by God's standards, bad enough to condemn the boy to hell. God is just and therefore he must punish each and every sin. However, God is also merciful and that is why Jesus died for us on the cross, to pay for our sins and bring us unmerited justification before God. That's why nobody can be accepted by God if he/she has not washed his sins with the blood of the Lamb of God.

Clear

Premium Member

Crypto2015 : Your last post did not answer important questions you were asked that allow us to discuss nuances. Your quote (Romans 3:23) "all have sin..." is irrelevant and incorrect to the context since you've told us new born infants do NOT have sin nor do they sin as newborns. (and I agree with you on this specific point).

1)
INFANTS HAVE NO MORAL CULPABILITY

3)

If “perish” as “death” forms a “truism”, then this actually supports leaving “perish” to mean “perish” rather than to change the meaning to “condemned to hell”. Other than that it does not fit your ideology, why would “perishing” without law be “ridiculous” such that it necessitates changing it’s meaning? (especially since most individuals in history DID die without knowledge of a Jewish or Christian law...) Why not allow that the ancients historical ideology and their interpretations are different than yours and the word “perish” means “perish” (and not “condemned to hell”)?

If you are referring to temporal order, your suggested re-interpretation is less rational than the original sentences. For example, the current sentence has a temporal order of first, living, 2) then dying (perishing) and then 3) judgment. Your order of first 1) living, 2) then "condemnation in hell" and then 3) judgment. This is not as logical as the original sentence. This is another reason you should consider leaving the word “perish” with its original meaning of “perish”.

I very much agree with this basic point you are suggesting that God judges at least partly, according to the "natural code of law" . If one’s “natural code” or conscience is a basis for Gods' judgment, then why would a non-christian who follows their conscience be “condemned to hell”?

Crypto2015 replied in post #59 : "God cannot ignore the sin of the boy that stole the piece of gum because God is perfectly just and therefore cannot overlook sin. Even that trivial sin is, when judged by God's standards, bad enough to condemn the boy to hell."

Crypto2015, Other than telling us you believe the the young child who steals a piece of gum justly deserves to be condemned to hell, you still have not answered the other points that allow us to examine finer points of judgment in your theory.

Am I correct that you feel that this young boy who commits only the sin of taking a piece of gum from his mom's purse and then dies, having committed only this one transgression, deserves the rage of a God who will punish this "gum heist" with eternal condemnation to hell?"
Now, this (say 12 month old...) who takes the gum dies, and has never been given the opportunity by God to be exposed to Christianity (having been born in either a time or a place where Jesus is unknown). Is this 12 month old infant doomed to an eternal hell for taking a piece of gum and not accepting Jesus before death?

These are nuances. I would much rather you consider these carefully before simply and reflexively offering an irrelevant scripture to readers. I will be gone on a short vacation and may not have internet (we'll see what hotel I end up in). Take your time and think about the questions I am asking regarding just judgment and your personal interpretation of Romans that you offered to readers.

In any case, I hope your spiritual journey is good.

Clear
ειτζεισιω

Last edited: