• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Spiritual Retreat

Do you attend spriritual retreats in your tradition?

• Yes, regularly

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yes, but not regularly

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, our tradition does not have retreats

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No, they are held but I don't attend

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Other (explain please)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Perhaps you attend them sometimes.
What are they like in your tradition, do you go often?

I have not attended any for quite a number of years.
There are lots of collective kiirtana, also akhanda kiirtan, group meditation, lectures, cultural programmes and in some more open retreats workshops on different things like taichi or folk dancing.

Some examples:

Triratnaretreat_Germany.jpg

Triratna Buddhist retreat

New_Kadampa_Retreat.jpg

New Kadampa Buddhist retreat

Osho_Dallas.jpg

Osho retreat

Yogananda.jpg

Yogananda retreat

cropped-_IMG_0052-1170x380.jpg

Ananda Marga Tantra-Yoga retreat

Tibetan_Buddhism.jpg

Tibetan Buddhism retreat

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

There are lots of collective kiirtana, also akhanda kiirtan, group meditation, lectures, cultural programmes and in some more open retreats workshops on different things like taichi or folk dancing.

Some examples:

New_Kadampa_Retreat.jpg

Osho_Dallas.jpg

Osho retreat

Yogananda.jpg

Yogananda retreat

Tibetan_Buddhism.jpg

Tibetan Buddhism retreat

I keep telling myself Ima go to this retreat they have twice a year.
download (4).jpeg

Its about three hours from me out of state. Theres no public transport way up in the woods so once I figure out transportation, Im good to go, I can go the closest town in my state and its almost af fity dollar cab ride give or give. There are weekend retreats. Anyone can stay longer with permission and have the abiliy to live by the monk residents schedule and eating arrangements.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I happen to enjoy solitude as a retreat.

So many nights out on an open field looking at all the planets stars and galaxies.

It's never failed to take my breath away in contemplation in sheer awe of the magnitude of what I am seeing in real time.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Some examples:

New_Kadampa_Retreat.jpg

Osho_Dallas.jpg

Osho retreat

Yogananda.jpg

Yogananda retreat

Tibetan_Buddhism.jpg

Tibetan Buddhism retreat
I have not gone. Ramakrishna Mission does hold retreats, as does Vipassana centers. I am fortunate enough to have an innately peaceful and relaxed state of mind, so haven't felt any need to go.

ajay0

I enjoy going to the beach and meditating there or just relaxing. The beach is said to be rich in prana or chi, and this enables better experiences in meditation/mindfulness and even good health for that matter.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Retreats are for theists and mystics, I am neither a theist nor a mystic. So, my retreat is to computer and discussions.
A bit old for the type of retreat that Nowhere man suggested, my wife would not allow it, but at one time I enjoyed that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Some examples:

New_Kadampa_Retreat.jpg

Osho_Dallas.jpg

Osho retreat

Yogananda.jpg

Yogananda retreat

Tibetan_Buddhism.jpg

Tibetan Buddhism retreat

We have a kadampa temple close to here I went to a couple of times. I received my Vajrasattva Empowerment. Im not too comfortable with the lineage practice; but, they have good talks especially the Stages of the Path lectures.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have not attended retreats with others in temple or retreat centers, But i have done solitude vipassana retreats where i enter a forest, and find an area where no other people will come, then i sit in meditation for a weeend or a week, before i go back

Shantanu

I am doing this seclusion thing all the time in my home. I rarely go out except to do things that are necessary for the home and family needs.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While I would like to experience attending a retreat at some point, after attending some local group meetings over the years, I find that I am more comfortable in solitary practice.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I won't. Normally in India, that means getting up at 4 o'clock in the morning, doing yoga, chanting mantras, before you get a cup of tea and some vegetarian fare. I prefer to get up not before 6 am, have a cup of tea the first thing in the morning, and then to my computer. A frugal lunch, afternoon tea, a frugal dinner. I would not pay this price to listen to what the swamis talk. I am already an enlightened person, a siddha, like my father before me.
Yeah, was not VedaVyasa the son of Sage Parashara? Or Shukrachrya the son of Sage VedaVyasa? It runs in the family. :D