• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your privacy on RF

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Duckduckgo just released a new 'privacy browser'. I have used their search engine for years because they do not track you.

Giving the new browser a test drive right now. So far it seems very good. One interesting feature is that when you go to a website you can click on the address bar and it will show you how many trackers the site is (trying) to use. All get blocked with this new browser and it forces the site to use encryption. Also, the overall grade of the site is given.

The initial grade of RF is 'D'. :( After blocking four major trackers used here (Google, Amazon, AdThrive, Threadloom) the site gets a 'B+'; no higher because it says this site has no stated privavy policy.

I am not claiming anything nefarious is going on here (or am I? :)), just thought I would share what I discovered.

Another nice feature of this browser is the 'burn' button. One click and it clears the cache, history, etc.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I might try that. I switched to using DuckDuckGo as my search engine because Google is censoring search results for political reasons, making it totally useless as a search engine.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Duckduckgo just released a new 'privacy browser'. I have used their search engine for years because they do not track you.

Giving the new browser a test drive right now. So far it seems very good. One interesting feature is that when you go to a website you can click on the address bar and it will show you how many trackers the site is (trying) to use. All get blocked with this new browser and it forces the site to use encryption. Also, the overall grade of the site is given.

The initial grade of RF is 'D'. :( After blocking four major trackers used here (Google, Amazon, AdThrive, Threadloom) the site gets a 'B+'; no higher because it says this site has no stated privavy policy.

I am not claiming anything nefarious is going on here (or am I? :)), just thought I would share what I discovered.

Another nice feature of this browser is the 'burn' button. One click and it clears the cache, history, etc.
I use it. Love the burn effect :D

Regiomontanus

I use it. Love the burn effect :D

Yes, it looks pretty slick when selected. It is so much more convenient to have one button at the top of the browser that does what two or more other ones, buried in the settings menu, does in other browsers.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I might try that. I switched to using DuckDuckGo as my search engine because Google is censoring search results for political reasons, making it totally useless as a search engine.
That's what I do. Finding right wing perspectives is almost impossible on Google since they started censorship and search bias on the results of search terms to heavily favor pro left news and websites.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
And that is just the start of Big Tech censoring in the states...
I seriously doubt it.
I lost count the number of times some search engine has been accused of censorship.
Some of them actually real.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Firefox detects and blocks two - Amazon and Google analytics. My NoScript add-on did not find AdThrive and Threadloom oeither. Maybe it's "Premium" vs regular member.

Regiomontanus

Firefox detects and blocks two - Amazon and Google analytics. My NoScript add-on did not find AdThrive and Threadloom oeither. Maybe it's "Premium" vs regular member.

Nice - don't pay money and you get tracked more ;)

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Is your NoScript up to date? Mine found all four of them.

darkskies

upload_2021-4-1_8-17-53.png

My adblockers on RF, few minutes after refreshing. Youtube videos set about 2 more.
upload_2021-4-1_8-34-41.png

Instagram for comparison. I waited a few minutes after refreshing. Give it an hour and it goes upto 400+.
---
I've used duckduckgo everywhere for almost a year now. For my needs it's perfect as a search engine. But tracker blocking is average at best.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
because it says this site has no stated privavy policy.

Some thing i have considered on occasion...

I am surprised that Google pays so much attention to RF. It used do be that part of googles algorithm to determine placement in its search listings was whether a site had a easily accessible and clear privacy policy.

Although google tends to keep its criteria under its hat don't think they will have dropped such an important factor.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I have stopped thinking about the "spying" by the governments. If the have checked who i am online i believe they have a boring job to do :p.
I have nothing to hide anyway.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have used DuckDuckGo for many years too - and other Search engines before this with similar attitudes to tracking and such before they went the way of those pressured into submission. Before I joined with Premium on RF I had no particular issues (using Adblock Plus and other such) so don't know, but I wasn't that bothered with tracking since I didn't and don't leave my presence plastered all over the internet so as to receive any Spam and such.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
so don't know, but I wasn't that bothered with tracking since I didn't and don't leave my presence plastered all over the internet
#MeToo. Being aware that they use Facebook messages to jail/track people, I am glad I don't put stuff on Facebook though