• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Phobias!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What is your biggest phobia(s)?

I remember hearing a Hindu legend or something that your phobias were how you died or what you died from in your past life.

So what are your phobias?

(EXTRA CREDIT: If someone could tell me where I read this legend before I'd be glad).

I am afraid of spiders man... But only the big fluffy ones :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Talking to strangers is my worst one, not because it is my strongest one, but because it effects my life to such an extreme. My fears of heights, spiders, etc. don't actually effect my life, at least not very much.

elmarna

Chickens, getting stuck on the railroad tracks and being run over by a train.
And I guess loseing my job!

Viker

Häxan
Disco. I don't see how I could have been killed by or because of disco. I was born before it was. I just don't care for it. It always freaked me out and the creepy feeling turned to hate and disgust. I've grown up a bit over the years but I still don't care for it. It's just that now I don't want to summarily execute the Bee Gees or Village People or burn down full discotheques after chain locking all doors and exits any longer.

4consideration

Premium Member

I remember hearing a Hindu legend or something that your phobias were how you died or what you died from in your past life.

(EXTRA CREDIT: If someone could tell me where I read this legend before I'd be glad).

______________________________-

Any one or any group considered to be the holder and defender of all Truth. :run::run:

edit: Oh, yeah... and the Inquisition. (Or any modern form of it.)

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Balloons. If I walk into a room where there's even one balloon, my heart races and my palms start sweating.

Dang....they REALLY freak me out. My worst nightmare is driving in a car filled with balloons. I've actually had to do that when I was picking them up for one of the kid's birthday party, and I cried and screamed the whole time.

Stop laughing at me. It isn't funny.

Okay, just laugh at me when I'm not around.

Trey of Diamonds

I'm not fond of spiders.

Male-Ladybird-spider.jpg

But is a very mild phobia. I'm cool with them as along as they aren't touching me.

A bit stronger phobia is heights, I really hate heights. But I love roller coasters and repelling because the fear rush is spectacular. If you're going to be afraid of something, might as well use it for entertainment.

Mine is very strange and I have not been able to find the official term for it -- the closest is probably photoaugliaphobia. Whenever I have Googled "fear of flashlight beams" or the like, the accounts usually involve dogs being afraid of them, not humans. Maybe I was a dog in a previous life? :)

Anyway, I don't like flashlight beams. If there's a power failure at night, I would rather feel my way through a dark house than turn on a flashlight. If I'm with other people it's not so bad. It seems to have spread to other kinds of lighting effects, though, such as the reflections that bounce off of disco-balls.

In fact -- funny story -- I have a candle housed inside a pretty, multifaceted glass container, and it was on my kitchen counter for a while. Early one morning, I was eating breakfast in the kitchen and the sun started to shine through the window and it landed on the disco-ball-esque candle holder. I almost had a panic attack when I saw the constellation of reflected points of light covering the ceiling and walls of the room. I had to get out of there, lol!!!! And such effects really are very pretty, so I don't know what my problem is! :rolleyes:

Needless to say I put the candle away after that. I won't be volunteering at any planetariums, nor will I ever sign up to test-run the lights at any dance-club alone before it opens. Oh -- and one of my kids, who is into filming, has one of those little laser-light-pattern projectors, which hasn't been used yet, but when we do get around to it... yeah. Basically, it's a flashlight on steroids. Not looking forward to that. :eek:

Strange thing is that I was not always jittery about flashlights. I used to play with them as a child.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
-Social situations with strangers or people I don't know well.
-Spiders, wasps... Heck any insects except for grasshoppers, bumblebees, butterflies and ladybugs (or ladybug-like insects like beetles).
-Huge waterfalls, the sight of them, the sheer power of all that water pouring... It is so great that it is scary. For example, Niagara Falls are scary!
-Redeads and Wallmasters... Anyone who played Zelda will know why!
-Needles!!! Not as bad as I used to be though. Once I went for a blood test, I was shaking and cold. The nurse had to put several blankets on me. >_<'
-Fear of failure. Sometimes paralyses me, as in not doing anything because of it.
-Specific fear of heights, this needs to be a little explained. I'm not scared of heights if I feel safe (harness and such) but without them I'm terrified, especially if it's shaky and slow moving things. Roller Coasters are my favourites but I don't really like Ferris wheels. I am NOT going into the London Eye!
-Evil clowns... Do I really need to explain this one!?

Hmm... Nothing else I can think of for now but I think these are the main phobias. If I forgot anything it's probably because it's not scary enough.

Last edited:

Erebus

Balloons. If I walk into a room where there's even one balloon, my heart races and my palms start sweating.

Dang....they REALLY freak me out. My worst nightmare is driving in a car filled with balloons. I've actually had to do that when I was picking them up for one of the kid's birthday party, and I cried and screamed the whole time.

Stop laughing at me. It isn't funny.

Okay, just laugh at me when I'm not around.

It's ok we're a mature, supportive group here. You don't need to fear jokes at your expense from us, you're in a safe place :)

*snicker* balloons...

Draka

Wonder Woman
Spiders. Always have been. Since very little.

Strangulation. I'm better about it now, but for a long time, through childhood and into late teens, I couldn't stand anything around my neck. Even if my blankets came up that far. I'd panic and feel like I couldn't breathe. you can imagine how I reacted the first time I wore Dress Blues. I HAD to get over it when in the Navy. The uniforms made me.

Clowns. I know where this comes from though. It's not a running away kind of fear, but the heeby-jeeby creeps definitely.

Viker

Häxan
I've always wondered why people are afraid of clowns. I think clowns are awesome. I wouldn't go into a basement with one alone, but they're still cool.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've always wondered why people are afraid of clowns. I think clowns are awesome. I wouldn't go into a basement with one alone, but they're still cool.

Well, not that a lot of people would believe me, but I have something that happened to me, or rather through me, that had to do with a clown doll. It probably sounds strange, but it was just one creepy experience and I guess it stuck with me.

Add on top of that, seeing the movie "It" not too long after that and my uneasiness about clowns was set.

cablescavenger

I don't know that I have any, though I did wonder for the longest time if I had a fear of marriage, but I have overcome that now.

Viker

Häxan
Well, not that a lot of people would believe me, but I have something that happened to me, or rather through me, that had to do with a clown doll. It probably sounds strange, but it was just one creepy experience and I guess it stuck with me.

Add on top of that, seeing the movie "It" not too long after that and my uneasiness about clowns was set.

Stephen King is great like that. Combining two of the greatest known fears into one. I think he once said "I give you nightmares so that I won't have them."