• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your news sources?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: Do you dare get your news from sources that are at odds with your political leanings?

I do

I'm a Social Democrat but I read The Daily Mail, or The Daily Fascist as I call it

Why? Because their website is well designed and updated frequently

I can see through their bias, indeed it often enrages me

Here is an editorial they published in the 1930s:
DM.jpg

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I use an app called "Ground" that takes all the different news sources on a given story and lines them up side by side, that way I can compare how the coverage is being done

If I had to pick one, though, I do like Reuters

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I use Upday and Google home screen. Fairly good selection of world and local news

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Question: Do you dare get your news from sources that are at odds with your political leanings?

I do

I'm a Social Democrat but I read The Daily Mail, or The Daily Fascist as I call it

View attachment 70966

I've looked at a number of different sources for news and information. I don't rely on just a single source of information, and I have no fear of reading alternative viewpoints, even if they're radical or outlandish.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I do

View attachment 70966

So, getting news from alternative views is really valuable. Getting them from the more extreme or ridiculously biased sources from the other 'side' is only likely to make you think there are no valid alternative views, though, since you're basically dealing with a parody of them.

Currently, I try to use written news sources with some variety to them, and of the podcasts I listen to, a couple have libertarian, or deliberately eclectic viewpoints. I get more out of those than I would listening to something that is more directly right wing.
I linked to this free news source in your other thread, but just for anyone reading along;

The Conversation: In-depth analysis, research, news and ideas from leading academics and researchers.

Whilst a couple of the podcasts I mentioned are;

Home - Lost Debate
Podcast - The Fifth Column Podcast

Worth noting, the Lost Debate is an entire (if small and independent) network, and includes multiple pods, articles, etc.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The only things I really check on a regular basis are:
  • The New York Times
  • The Conversation
  • National Public Radio (and my local state equivalent)
  • various local newspapers and stations
For pop culture, none of these, though; it's not part of their respective wheelhouses. I don't really follow much pop culture stuff anyway, but for that there's industry-specialized websites that on the whole are of dubious journalistic quality.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I get the local paper(in print).

I'm an ancient relic of a lost time, I know.

I get 3 papers, 2 local one national, not every day though. Usually once a week I'll get two french ones and there is a French national news in English one that comes out once a month.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Google news, Flipboard (collection of sources including The Hill (slightly to the right)), NY Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, AP News, Wall Street Journal, BBC News and several local outlets.

Of course I don't read all of these in detail but skim headlines looking for interesting articles.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
For the last 5 or 6 months I've taken the ostrich approach and avoided all news sources.