• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Greatest Role Model

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Of all the people in the world, who do you admire most? Who do you feel the greatest sense of purpose with? Who do you wish you would meet?

For me, the answer is without a doubt Husein Gradascevic. He was born in 1802 in the town of Gradacac, in northern Bosnia. He was the son of a noble family, the ruling family in Gradacac - to be exact.

I won't bore you with the details of his life, except to say that upon his father's death he became a proud and noble ruler. He not only took excellent care of the Muslim citizens of Gradacac, but the Christians and Jews as well - both of whom, still today, revere him. He also respected the lower classes. Peasants could volunteer to serve in the armed forces and were free not to, while aristocrats and nobles were required to serve.

When the Ottoman Empire awarded a region of the Balkans known as the Sandzak to Serbia, Bosnians were furious. The territory was populated almost exclusively by Bosniaks and one of Bosnia's largest and greatest cities - Novi Pazar - was located there. This spelled the end for the Ottoman Empire's rule in this part of the world.

Husein Gradascevic organized a rebellion, and was successful. He was declared the Grand Vizier (like a King) of Bosnia. For his dramatic rise to power, and his well-known and widely-respected method of rule, he was named Zmaj od Bosne (Dragon of Bosnia). Every city in Bosnia and Herzegovina has a street named for him.

In the end, though, he was defeated by an uprising in Herzegovina. Muslims and Roman Catholics there, who preferred Ottoman rule, fought on the side of the Sultan and Gradascevic's forces were defeated near Sarajevo. He was exiled first to Vienna and then to Istanbul, where he is burried.

They said there was not a person in Bosnia for years later who didn't cry when his name was mentioned. For being of the first, and one of the best rulers who exercised total tolerance and respect for others, he is my greatest role model.

He also left Bosnia and Herzegovina two of the most beautiful landmarks in the country. There is the Gradascevic Castle, in Gradacac:

1xs8.png

And one of the most beautiful mosques in the world, with an elegant arched dome that remains unmatched in Bosnia and Herzegovina - Husein's Mosque, in Gradacac:

1da2.jpg

Reactions: Ody

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Other than my God and my family.

I have much admiration for Kate Winslet. I had hoped to look like her when I grew up. :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When I was growing up, I wanted to be like Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, and Leonardo DaVinci.

nutshell

Hmm...I'll have to think about it. I keep trying to answer the question in my mind, but every time I do the only thing that comes is SUNSTONE!!!

nutshell

Hmm...I'll have to think about it. I keep trying to answer the question in my mind, but every time I do the only thing that comes is SUNSTONE!!!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I must have been a strange kid because I haven't ever thought of having any role models or people I looked up to except my parents or God.

There have been people throughout history who have done good things and I admire their works but no one I really wanted to be like. Sorry to be a kill joy. :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Buttercup said:
I must have been a strange kid because I haven't ever thought of having any role models or people I looked up to except my parents or God.

There have been people throughout history who have done good things and I admire their works but no one I really wanted to be like. Sorry to be a kill joy. :D

For the most part I am like you Buttercup. I really dig being me, lol.

There can be only one.... Paramahansa Yogananda wrote of a fellow in his autobiography called Babaji. If I simply HAD to meet with someone it would be Babaji.... but I would settle for visit with Lord Visnu or possibly Jane Roberts.