• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Veggie Burger

What is your favorite brand of veggie burger?

• Total voters

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
A. Boca - too "meaty"

B. Garden - too grainy, but better than Boca

C. Morningstar Farms - love these!! :eat:

D. Amy's - never had 'em. :shrug:

E. Dr. Praeger's - tasty and I love the whole soybeans in the California style, tho they tend to fall apart on me.

I've also had Trader Joe's veggie burgers. blech.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'd eat Morningstar if they didn't use factory farmed eggs. :( Currently I eat Boca burgers and Gardenburger riblets.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I buy mostly Morningstar stuff. I eat burgers very rarely, but their nuggets and "ground beef" are excellent.

I happen to love Boca chili though. Great with some garden veggie or garlic triscuts. Mmmm mmm!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jamaesi said:
Whatever veggie burger it is they serve at Subway. I could eat those for every meal.
I think those are Gardenburgers. Whenever I see major restaurant chains selling veggie burgers it's usually a Gardenburger. For example, TGI Fridays. Tho McD's has their own in-house concoction. Not great, but I appreciate that they put it on the menu (in select cities).

Gardenburgers can be pretty tasty when served moist. At Subway or Fridays, they add all those fixins and condiments. When I'm at home, I usually pop mine in the toaster oven and since they're already on the dry side to begin with, they turn out... meh. Whereas Morningstar burgers are juicy. :drool: (probably partly due to the eggs :eek:)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jaymes said:
I'd eat Morningstar if they didn't use factory farmed eggs. :( Currently I eat Boca burgers and Gardenburger riblets.
Something about the texture of Boca burgers gets to me. I *love* veggie riblets!! :drool:

Yeah, a good friend of mine told me about the eggs and then I forgot about it. :eek: Maybe we can get a petition going, asking them to change.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
lilithu said:
Yeah, a good friend of mine told me about the eggs and then I forgot about it. :eek: Maybe we can get a petition going, asking them to change.

I saw one, somewhere. Might have been on the PeTA website.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I love Boca, just throw on some pickles, ketchup, and onions. They're kind of puny, though. :sarcastic

Garden burgers are disgusting, in my opinion. I haven't tried anything else.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
GeneCosta said:
I love Boca, just throw on some pickles, ketchup, and onions. They're kind of puny, though. :sarcastic

Garden burgers are disgusting, in my opinion. I haven't tried anything else.
How can Gardenburgers be disgusting? They taste like grains. I can understand someone thinking they're bland/boring, but not disgusting. Anyway, don't mean to argue with you on matters of taste. I just don't understand. :p

Gene fyi, you can buy Boca burgers by the bag at Costco and they're much cheaper that way than in the grocery stores. And Costco is a blue company! :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
MaddLlama said:
Might have been on the PeTA website.
Sorry... I won't have anything to do with PeTA. I thought they were too extreme to begin with, but then when I found out they funnel money to the ALF it was game over.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
lilithu said:
How can Gardenburgers be disgusting? They taste like grains. I can understand someone thinking they're bland/boring, but not disgusting. Anyway, don't mean to argue with you on matters of taste. I just don't understand. :p

Gene fyi, you can buy Boca burgers by the bag at Costco and they're much cheaper that way than in the grocery stores. And Costco is a blue company! :)

Do you dare challenge me on this issue, lilithu? I will nuke you with a thousand n-bombs, all made of egg shells!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
GeneCosta said:
Do you dare challenge me on this issue, lilithu? I will nuke you with a thousand n-bombs, all made of egg shells!
Would those be from free-range hens or no? :p

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
lilithu said:
Sorry... I won't have anything to do with PeTA. I thought they were too extreme to begin with, but then when I found out they funnel money to the ALF it was game over.

I don't really care for them either, but I don't think they were the ones who started the petition. I think they were just linking to it. Or, it could have been on another website.

Aren't I helpful? ^_^

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
lilithu said:

What is that?

And, if it's a good thing, is BJ's one too? (We don't have Costco's by me :()

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jaymes said:
http://www.morningstar-egg-facts.com/contact-morningstar/

I used that website to contact them. It encouraged people to ask them to stop using eggs, but I said I'd be happy with either no eggs or eggs that weren't factory farmed.
"Morningstar Farms® has long been a leader in supplying delicious vegetarian foods to a growing market. Let them know that the market also wants them to remove their support from the cruel battery egg industry and encourage them to join with companies like Gardenburger®, which last year announced it has taken eggs out of all its products except for one private-sourced item."

Yeah, that's why Morningstar tastes better than Gardenburger!! :p

Thanks Jaymes. I'll ask for cage-free eggs as well. If they can make the burgers without eggs and still taste good that's fine too, it's not like I need to eat eggs, but I suspect that it's the egg protein that keeps them moist and gives them the texture that I like.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
lilithu said:
"Morningstar Farms® has long been a leader in supplying delicious vegetarian foods to a growing market. Let them know that the market also wants them to remove their support from the cruel battery egg industry and encourage them to join with companies like Gardenburger®, which last year announced it has taken eggs out of all its products except for one private-sourced item."

Yeah, that's why Morningstar tastes better than Gardenburger!! :p

Thanks Jaymes. I'll ask for cage-free eggs as well. If they can make the burgers without eggs and still taste good that's fine too, it's not like I need to eat eggs, but I suspect that it's the egg protein that keeps them moist and gives them the texture that I like.
All egg is is a binder... I've had delicious vegan muffins and cake, I see no reason for burgers to be any different. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
MaddLlama said:
What is that?

And, if it's a good thing, is BJ's one too? (We don't have Costco's by me :()
What's BJ's?

A blue company is the opposite of a red company. :p i.e. - it's a company that upholds liberal values. The guy who started Costco did so partly to prove that you can have a huge, nation-wide chain of stores that is profitable and still pays its employees fairly, gives them health benefits, etc. (Basically, this is in reaction against Walmart and the argument that they "can't" treat their employees better because they need to make a profit.)

Here's a site that keeps track of blue companies:
http://www.buyblue.org/