• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Dreams Like Myths

sealchan

Whether you are a diehard atheist or a born again 50 times true, literalist believer, your dreams are appreciative of the full gamut of myth from any and all cultures. In fact many myths are shared across cultures so that one can usually look close to home to find a dreams influence.

What I mean by like or appreciative is that your "dream creator", that is, that part of your brain-mind which "produces" dreams is a really quite clever "fellow" (but is most certainly not your conscious ego) who seems to take great inspiration from myths. Whether or not you personally like it is only a secondary, at best concern of your dream creator.

Having read sufficiently of the worlds myths I can see this myself fairly often whenever I interpret a dream of my own or someone else's. In fact as if in response to the bold claim I made in a recent post that I could find the myth in anyone's dream, I had a dream myself which I will share. After sharing it I will invite you all to find the primary mythic content in the dream. It took me a few moments after waking up myself which indicates I think the disconnect between my conscious desire and the content of the dream.

In order to earn a gold star for guessing the correct answer please give that answer in the form of a link to a wikipedia or other article. I have one in mind myself and if you guess that one you will get a gold star with no bent corners at all on it.

I dreamt that I had a half-dollar sized blood blister on the inside of my right leg just above my knee and toward the front of the leg. The blister did not protrude but was flat beneath the surrounding skin. I knew that to treat this blister required puncturing it to let the blood out.

With me were two men one of whom was Mr. Spock. Mr. Spock was to perform the operation and I was glad because not only of his reputation but because I did not think I could do it myself.

A small dagger was to be used for the operation. As the dagger was held above my wound, I found that my hand was also on the dagger. I tensed up before the strike drawing in breath. Then...the dagger came down in two swift jabs, the first one just off target and the second one on target but on the periphery. Much to my great surprise I had felt no pain. I expected that the blood would start to come out momentarily as i woke up.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The dagger represents applying logic and discernment to the unconscious problem represented by the blood blister, and bring it into consciousness, rationally solving the problem, letting the hurt come out, and allowing healing to take place. From the location of the blister, I might suspect the problem to be passive-aggressive in nature.

Your milage may vary.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Whether you are a diehard atheist or a born again 50 times true, literalist believer, your dreams are appreciative of the full gamut of myth from any and all cultures. In fact many myths are shared across cultures so that one can usually look close to home to find a dreams influence.

What I mean by like or appreciative is that your "dream creator", that is, that part of your brain-mind which "produces" dreams is a really quite clever "fellow" (but is most certainly not your conscious ego) who seems to take great inspiration from myths. Whether or not you personally like it is only a secondary, at best concern of your dream creator.

Having read sufficiently of the worlds myths I can see this myself fairly often whenever I interpret a dream of my own or someone else's. In fact as if in response to the bold claim I made in a recent post that I could find the myth in anyone's dream, I had a dream myself which I will share. After sharing it I will invite you all to find the primary mythic content in the dream. It took me a few moments after waking up myself which indicates I think the disconnect between my conscious desire and the content of the dream.

In order to earn a gold star for guessing the correct answer please give that answer in the form of a link to a wikipedia or other article. I have one in mind myself and if you guess that one you will get a gold star with no bent corners at all on it.

I dreamt that I had a half-dollar sized blood blister on the inside of my right leg just above my knee and toward the front of the leg. The blister did not protrude but was flat beneath the surrounding skin. I knew that to treat this blister required puncturing it to let the blood out.

With me were two men one of whom was Mr. Spock. Mr. Spock was to perform the operation and I was glad because not only of his reputation but because I did not think I could do it myself.

A small dagger was to be used for the operation. As the dagger was held above my wound, I found that my hand was also on the dagger. I tensed up before the strike drawing in breath. Then...the dagger came down in two swift jabs, the first one just off target and the second one on target but on the periphery. Much to my great surprise I had felt no pain. I expected that the blood would start to come out momentarily as i woke up.

You have a secret desire to assassinate Trump. :D

Oh, here's the link for a gold star.
In the second-season episode "Amok Time" (1967), the show delivers a warning. Reason and dispassion are weak reeds, and they are weakest among those who presume them to be strong. Spock, the ultra-rational Vulcan, turns out to harbor deep tribal impulses, which break through all the more violently for having been suppressed. He proves capable of the ultimate sociopathic act, murdering his commander and best friend.
How Star Trek Explains Donald Trump

sealchan

The dagger represents applying logic and discernment to the unconscious problem represented by the blood blister, and bring it into consciousness, rationally solving the problem, letting the hurt come out, and allowing healing to take place. From the location of the blister, I might suspect the problem to be passive-aggressive in nature.

Your milage may vary.

Thank you for the intrepretation. Can you guess the myth?

sealchan

You have a secret desire to assassinate Trump. :D

Oh, here's the link for a gold star.
In the second-season episode "Amok Time" (1967), the show delivers a warning. Reason and dispassion are weak reeds, and they are weakest among those who presume them to be strong. Spock, the ultra-rational Vulcan, turns out to harbor deep tribal impulses, which break through all the more violently for having been suppressed. He proves capable of the ultimate sociopathic act, murdering his commander and best friend.
How Star Trek Explains Donald Trump

Nice analogy from Star Trek and I have been watching the original series over the last several months. This likely contributes to Spock's presence in this dream AND I might also say that Star Trek operates like a myth for many in our modern society.

I will give you a gold star for this answer, but it was not the older classic myth I was thinking of.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
My guess would be that your dream has something to do with your cosmological perception and aspiration - but I cant point at the specific issue.

Can you "count back" and find a cause for this dream? Something you´ve thought about the day (s) before?

Last edited:

sealchan

My guess would be that your dream has something to do with your cosmological perception and aspiration - but I cant point at the specific issue.

Can you "count back" and find a cause for this dream? Something you´ve thought about the day (s) before?

Yes I think that the day before was when I boasted re: most dreams have a myth associated with them. That left me feeling a bit "out on a limb" with an accompanying "emotional charge". That is the sort of thing I find that often most influences a dream. I see to have had a dream that was most supportive of my boast so that has given me great confidence (although not total confidence).

I mentioned Star Trek The Original Series as something that I have been experiencing regularly recently. There was also a favorite movie I recently re-watched that is of major influence as well (not related to Star Trek at all) that I cannot mention or it will give my preferred answer away. But once I do give the answer away it will be fairly obvious.

Native

Yes I think that the day before was when I boasted re: most dreams have a myth associated with them. That left me feeling a bit "out on a limb" with an accompanying "emotional charge". That is the sort of thing I find that often most influences a dream. I see to have had a dream that was most supportive of my boast so that has given me great confidence (although not total confidence).
Yes, it´s very easy to find yourself a bit "out-limbed" in dreams as these can describe your personal conditions in large as well as your social and spiritual realms.

Carl Gustav Jung also categorized these dreamy areas where the "collective unconscious" represented the human common knowledge, which IMO represents the common cosmic knowledge which is embedded in all ancient Myths of Creation, hence the very common cultural Stories of Creation.

Last edited:

wellwisher

The Psychologists Carl Jung investigated the thesis that all humans possess collective human propensities, based on firmware, he called the archetypes of the collective unconscious.

In other words, all human have human DNA, regardless of our culture. As such, the archetypes are part of the brain's natural operating system, defined by our human DNA, and is therefore similar in all humans, regardless of culture. Culture is learned, while archetypes are innate.

He proved his thesis by showing a wide range of myth and symbols that were the same or similar in cultures, where there is no evidence this information was transferred, by direct contact. For example, the Aborigine have a world flood mythology, that is thousands of years old without any contact from western sources. Myths common to all humans can appear spontaneously, from the archetypes, since at some level, we are all the same and think the same.

Many year ago I was interesting in seeing if I could experience this for myself, to prove it was real. I could accept the thesis and Jung's proof, but direct proof is always better than an intuitive hunch.

What I did was start by recording dreams each night and analyzing them. The more you do this the more dreams you start to have. I was also looking for dreams that contain symbolism that was expressing various archetypes.

This research evolved, with my dreams changing from being based on personal experience, to more and more collective dreams, that went beyond me, to general human problems. At the same time, I became an expert at collective human symbolism, so I could analyze the odd symbols, I had never seen before.

This research then evolved into synchronicity experiments. Synchronicity means meaningful coincidences. For example, say I was outside and I saw a black bird fly from left to right. I would assume this had a connection to my unconscious and one of the archetypes.

This connection was not the unconscious mind making this bird fly, but rather that fact that I became aware of the bird flying, was the unconscious using this sensory prop, to get my attention, to convey a related symbolic meaning. Suffice to say this research broke down the normal barriers between conscious and unconscious until there was more of an overlap; day and night. I was more conscious in dream and more unconscious while awake. This led to a dissociated state of mind, that was very useful for generating data, but was not healthy for my conscious mind, since it was a loosing energy and merger with the unconscious. I was bring reabsorbed.

This led to a natural healing process, that has been called the mystical union. The archetypes generated scenarios and symbols of transformation that I needed to solve. It took about 6 months but the unconscious to lead me back to the normal. The transformation problem solving developed an interactive rapport with the unconscious mind, that enhanced my creativity. This platform for creativity became a new research angle, to see how the unconscious would creatively deal with impossible problems. For example, how did life first appear on earth. Nobody knows this for certain. However, concentrating on this created a repression that the unconscious tried to resolve. It generates scenarios that I then had to learn to translate.

Native

Hello wellwisher
Thanks for the interesting post.
The Psychologists Carl Jung investigated the thesis that all humans possess collective human propensities, based on firmware, he called the archetypes of the collective unconscious.
I rather would call it soft-ware but never mind :)
In other words, all human have human DNA, regardless of our culture. As such, the archetypes are part of the brain's natural operating system, defined by our human DNA, and is therefore similar in all humans, regardless of culture. Culture is learned, while archetypes are innate.
Yes, but what archetypes makes the DNA? And what constitutes the archetypes at all?
He (Carl Gustav Jung) proved his thesis by showing a wide range of myth and symbols that were the same or similar in cultures, where there is no evidence this information was transferred, by direct contact. For example, the Aborigine have a world flood mythology, that is thousands of years old without any contact from western sources. Myths common to all humans can appear spontaneously, from the archetypes, since at some level, we are all the same and think the same.
Doesn´t this indicate the archetypes to represent something OUTSIDE the human realms? Is it just a common human psychological conditions as C.G. Jung assumed or has it a cosmological connections too?
Many year ago I was interesting in seeing if I could experience this for myself, to prove it was real. I could accept the thesis and Jung's proof, but direct proof is always better than an intuitive hunch.
I´m not going to comment on your personal test, but IMO the proofs of the collective unconscious lays in the very cultural common Stories of Creation as such. If so, the Jungian archetypes really represents the creative forces in cosmos - inside and outside humans.

With other words: I think that Carl Gustav Jung forgot to include the mytho-cosmological archetypical context into his schematic categories.

BTW: Can you balance your experiences now?

Native

@sealchan,
I think I´m beginning to understand your dream with Mr. Spock.

I think your dream deals with your natural perception of myths compared to the modern science fictive realms in cinema´s - even if these have mythical inspirations.

The dream really says: "Believe in your own spiritual and mythical intuition and skills of healing yourself - instead of letting Mr. Spock from science fiction taking over".

Last edited:

sealchan

He proved his thesis by showing a wide range of myth and symbols that were the same or similar in cultures, where there is no evidence this information was transferred, by direct contact. For example, the Aborigine have a world flood mythology, that is thousands of years old without any contact from western sources. Myths common to all humans can appear spontaneously, from the archetypes, since at some level, we are all the same and think the same.

What I did was start by recording dreams each night and analyzing them. The more you do this the more dreams you start to have. I was also looking for dreams that contain symbolism that was expressing various archetypes.

This research evolved, with my dreams changing from being based on personal experience, to more and more collective dreams, that went beyond me, to general human problems. At the same time, I became an expert at collective human symbolism, so I could analyze the odd symbols, I had never seen before.

This research then evolved into synchronicity experiments. Synchronicity means meaningful coincidences. For example, say I was outside and I saw a black bird fly from left to right. I would assume this had a connection to my unconscious and one of the archetypes.

This connection was not the unconscious mind making this bird fly, but rather that fact that I became aware of the bird flying, was the unconscious using this sensory prop, to get my attention, to convey a related symbolic meaning. Suffice to say this research broke down the normal barriers between conscious and unconscious until there was more of an overlap; day and night. I was more conscious in dream and more unconscious while awake. This led to a dissociated state of mind, that was very useful for generating data, but was not healthy for my conscious mind, since it was a loosing energy and merger with the unconscious. I was bring reabsorbed.

This led to a natural healing process, that has been called the mystical union. The archetypes generated scenarios and symbols of transformation that I needed to solve. It took about 6 months but the unconscious to lead me back to the normal. The transformation problem solving developed an interactive rapport with the unconscious mind, that enhanced my creativity. This platform for creativity became a new research angle, to see how the unconscious would creatively deal with impossible problems. For example, how did life first appear on earth. Nobody knows this for certain. However, concentrating on this created a repression that the unconscious tried to resolve. It generates scenarios that I then had to learn to translate.

I myself feel like I have arrived at the brink of a more collaborative relationship with my dreams, but I have not pursued an intentional program in this except once but it lasted only for a few days. I am rather more focused on an alchemical effort through playing the computer game Minecraft.

Care to interpret my dream?

sealchan

Hello wellwisher
Thanks for the interesting post.

I rather would call it soft-ware but never mind :)

Yes, but what archetypes makes the DNA? And what constitutes the archetypes at all?

Doesn´t this indicate the archetypes to represent something OUTSIDE the human realms? Is it just a common human psychological conditions as C.G. Jung assumed or has it a cosmological connections too?

I´m not going to comment on your personal test, but IMO the proofs of the collective unconscious lays in the very cultural common Stories of Creation as such. If so, the Jungian archetypes really represents the creative forces in cosmos - inside and outside humans.

With other words: I think that Carl Gustav Jung forgot to include the mytho-cosmological archetypical context into his schematic categories.

BTW: Can you balance your experiences now?

Have you looked into Jungs collaboration with Pauli?

sealchan

@sealchan,
I think I´m beginning to understand your dream with Mr. Spock.

I think your dream deals with your natural perception of myths compared to the modern science fictive realms in cinema´s - even if these have mythical inspirations.

The dream really says: "Believe in your own spiritual and mythical intuition and skills of healing yourself - instead of letting Mr. Spock from science fiction taking over".

Yes, the character of Mr. Spock keenly delineates the distinction between rational logic and the other qualities which make us human. He represents our continued fascination with logic and how it seems to be driving all the technological changes in our life.

For me Mr. Spock is a mythic figure. We don't recognize this because we KNOW that he is a fictional character. But the trick as I see it is to recognize that this tension between fictional and fascinating has always been there in how we perceive these stories. Spock represents a deeply felt but poorly understood compulsion we have toward logic. How can logic be wrong? Logic is...God! This is true to the extent that we now have literalism invading our religion causing people to put their faith on the table in a game of logic while evidence is thrown out the window.

Mr. Spock is, then, an avatar of the God of Logic. Certainly a modern God and one born of our human experience of being vulnerable in the face of its vast power. That is why atheists so often become possessed by Spock in his demonic form as he has an archetypal character that empowers our personal psyches when we relate to his qualities.

How I would phrase what you have said is I want to give up my greater human qualities solely to Mr. Spock...but in the end I can't. I simply can't just be logical, I have to participate "personally". This could indicate I can't just be objective, I must also be subjective which is a point I sometimes try to make about the complementarity of objective and subjective knowledge, a yin-yang relationship.

I will definitely give you a gold star for this. But still it was not the answer I was looking for.

sealchan

Your milage may vary.

You are very close here...but what is the myth?

How did you derive passive-aggressive. I would admit the passive-aggression is an attitude my psyche may visit under duress.

syo

You consult dreams or you provide consultation (interpretation) to others on the meaning of their dreams?
I try to learn what the dreams tell me. I even saw god in a dream. Something was to tell me and i had to listen.

sealchan

Although I have received some very perceptive replies which were gold star winners I have not quite had the answer I was looking for. I feel crossfire might be on the verge of the answer...what is the myth?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
You are very close here...but what is the myth?

How did you derive passive-aggressive. I would admit the passive-aggression is an attitude my psyche may visit under duress.
I don't know what the underlying myth is. I'm reading this dream symbolically. The passive-aggressiveness I got from the location of the blister--relating to my own spiritual work with the black chakras.