• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Crucifix

What is the best Crucifix?

• A simple wood, lead, or other very humble material

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Gold or an extravagant metal

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Daimond clad or precious stones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Sturmwaffen

What kind of a crucifix do you have and what kind do you think best represents the Christ? I have a small wooden one I wear on a black cord around my neck; and for good reason: Jesus was a simple man who preached simple morals and living style and was a carpenter, so I don't understand how a gold, platinum, silver, ruby, daimond, what have you crucifix can really represent our Savior. Jesus wanted a simple life, so I feel a simple wooden crucifix is the best way to represent him.

And also-I don't believe he died on a cross of gold. :D

Nehustan

Tho' I am no longer a christian, I still wear a silver seal ring with a cross lorraine running up through a crown on my left hand. The crown of supernal adam kadmon is unseen at the position of kether, while the mundane ducal crown through which the cross rises is at the point of Tipareth, and as stated is made from silver although of the correspondence of Tipareth with the sun and thus gold.

(post script: As the ring is silver, and I'm not a good photographer its a little hard to snap the ring with my camera, this however is a wax impression of the seal, admittedly not great quality)​

SEAL.jpg

Scott1

Sturmwaffen said:
Jesus wanted a simple life, so I feel a simple wooden crucifix is the best way to represent him.
I don't think Christ would like any of them... my pal NetDoc (I think it was you Pete) once said that the best symbol for a Christian would be an empty tomb, not a cross.... and that has stuck with me ever since.

We are an Easter people.... but wear whatever *(or nothing) brings you personally closer to the Lord.

I carry a black decade rosary with the bent cross Pope John Paul the Great had on his Crosier.

In His service,
Scott

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I actually wear a carving of an empty tomb. Good memory Scott! The stone is rolled back and there is a small diamond set above the opening to represent the angel.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
A crucifix is worn as a witness, both to us and to others. I voted "other" because i don't think it matters what it's made of, as long as it is a witness. It's not necessarily what it's made of, but why and how it's worn that makes a difference.

Scott1

sojourner said:
A crucifix is worn as a witness, both to us and to others. I voted "other" because i don't think it matters what it's made of, as long as it is a witness. It's not necessarily what it's made of, but why and how it's worn that makes a difference.
Amen and AMEN! Well said... frubals to thee!

Scott

p.s..... and I'm sure my Roman Catholic brothers and sisters have a Scapular and a Miraculous Medal around their neck... right? :D

I voted for "Other", because I don't really think it matters what kind of cross or crucifix you wear...what's important is what the cross REPRESENTS....Christ, who died for us and rose again!:clap :bounce

FerventGodSeeker

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I don't wear a crucifix (which by definition has a corpus on it) but a cross. Most Orthodox Christians wear empty crosses because Christ is no longer crucified but risen. My cross is silver because I'm not a fan of gold which most Orthodox Christians traditionally wear (because of its lasting nature, signifying eternity, not because it's expensive). I actually wear the style of cross known as a Russian soldier's cross because I like the symbolism but I think any cross of any material is fine. For us it's merely supposed to be a personal reminder of our need to take up our cross and follow Christ, which is why we should never put it on display, but rather wear it inside our clothes.

James

may

as a christian, i do not own or wear a cross but i deeply appreciate the fact that Christ died for me. I know that Christ’s sacrifice is a marvelous demonstration of "God’s power" and eternal love. (1 Corinthians 1:18; John 3:16) But i need no material object like a cross to help me worship this God of love. For, as Paul exhorted, they "are walking by faith, not by sight."—2 Corinthians 5:7.

may said:
as a christian, i do not own or wear a cross but i deeply appreciate the fact that Christ died for me. I know that Christ’s sacrifice is a marvelous demonstration of "God’s power" and eternal love. (1 Corinthians 1:18; John 3:16) But i need no material object like a cross to help me worship this God of love. For, as Paul exhorted, they "are walking by faith, not by sight."—2 Corinthians 5:7.

Wearing a cross is not necesarily for your own spiritual well-being, although it certainly does keep you honest about your faith, especially when you're in public. More than anything, I think it's a witness of your faith in Christ to the world. Immediately anyone and everyone can see that you are a follower of Christ, and hopefully intend to live like it.

FerventGodSeeker

Abram

Abraham
Squirt said:
No crucifix works very well for me!
I'm with Squirt on this one
...But if I was to indulge in it would be a $25,000+ iced up(diamonds) platinum Jesus piece that would hang from a massive platinum chain, the kind you see hanging from a rap star...

may

FerventGodSeeker said:
Wearing a cross is not necesarily for your own spiritual well-being, although it certainly does keep you honest about your faith, especially when you're in public. More than anything, I think it's a witness of your faith in Christ to the world. Immediately anyone and everyone can see that you are a follower of Christ, and hopefully intend to live like it.

FerventGodSeeker
i think the witness to a christians faith , is if they do and live their lives according to how Jesus taught us. i see many people with crosses on and they are doing things in opposition to Jesus teachings, and this is then a bad witness . so as you say the conduct is the important thing

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
sojourner said:

That is my feeling; I voted 'other' because I think it makes no difference what it is made of. To me, it is just a symbol of allegiance. Having said that, I usually wear it under my shirt.

may said:
i think the witness to a christians faith , is if they do and live their lives according to how Jesus taught us. i see many people with crosses on and they are doing things in opposition to Jesus teachings, and this is then a bad witness . so as you say the conduct is the important thing
I agree, conduct is extremely important, although lots of moral, nice people are not Christians. Wearing a cross immediately identifies you as a follower of Christ. However, you are correct, living up to that holy standard and symbol by living out one's faith is of great importance.

FerventGodSeeker

GloriaPatri

I carry a wooden rosary with the image of the Virgin Mary on the medallion. The crucifix is metal and has the image of Jesus Christ sculpted into it.