• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Complaints About Hinduism

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, can we start with the wikipedia entry titled "Karma in Hinduism"? This is the first paragraph and a bit:

Karma is a concept of Hinduism which describes a system in which beneficial effects are derived from past beneficial actions and harmful effects from past harmful actions, creating a system of actions and reactions throughout a soul's (jivatman's) reincarnated lives,[1] forming a cycle of rebirth. The causality is said to apply not only to the material world but also to our thoughts, words, actions, and actions that others do under our instructions.[2]

For example, if one performs a good deed, something good will happen to them, and the same applies if one does a bad thing.

Would you say that the entry here is incorrect?
I fully agree with the first paragraph.

In the second paragraph, "something" is an oversimplification, and the paragraph is taken out of context.

It's also useful to click on the first link in your post and learn a bit more about what the term 'karma' actually means.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I fully agree with the first paragraph.

In the second paragraph, "something" is an oversimplification, and the paragraph is taken out of context.

It's also useful to click on the first link in your post and learn a bit more about what the term 'karma' actually means.
Ok, but you can see why I don't agree that this is simple causality "like dropping a hammer on your foot", yes?

And you understand what I mean when I say that it looks like wishful thinking to me?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, but you can see why I don't agree that this is simple causality "like dropping a hammer on your foot", yes?
I can see why you might say it may be more complex than that (which I can stipulate that it can be), but I can't see why you don't agree with the hammer/foot example to be an example of karma.

And you understand what I mean when I say that it looks like wishful thinking to me?
I can understand what you mean, but I don't agree with the assessment primarily because of what I said and back in post #77 and your lack of acknowledgment of it, which leads me to believe this is the reason for what you say about it looking like wishful thinking.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I can see why you might say it may be more complex than that (which I can stipulate that it can be), but I can't see why you don't agree with the hammer/foot example to be an example of karma.

I can understand what you mean, but I don't agree with the assessment because of what I said back in post #77.
That's fair enough. I'm given to thinking you might know a bit more about this than I do - being a Hindu n that. I'm just describing how it looks to me.