• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young earth

Audie

Veteran Member
What do you mean by "thousands of years"? The Earth is around 4-5 billion years old. The universe is approx. 13 billion, give or take... we have theories like cosmic inflation to iron out still.

According to YEC, primarily extrapolating the genealogies in the Bible, estimates range from 6 to 10 thousand years.

But if that were true, we wouldn't see many stars in the night sky that are plainly visible to us.
Embedded age

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What do you mean by "thousands of years"? The Earth is around 4-5 billion years old. The universe is approx. 13 billion, give or take... we have theories like cosmic inflation to iron out still.

According to YEC, primarily extrapolating the genealogies in the Bible, estimates range from 6 to 10 thousand years.

But if that were true, we wouldn't see many stars in the night sky that are plainly visible to us.
I don't think you read what I said...

"I think you have prompted me to look into how those scientists came to their conclusions."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't think you read what I said...

"I think you have prompted me to look into how those scientists came to their conclusions."
It began with geology. Early Christian geologists took a serious look at different types of sedimentary strata and came to the obvious conclusion that they could not have been deposited quickly. Some creationists get it backwards (don't they always?) and claim that the old Earth concept was invented for evolution, but the old Earth concept was already well accepted long before Darwin formed his theory.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The funny thing is, YECs accuse scientists of having an agenda to "disprove God." That explains why they postulate that the Earth and universe are so old.

Like, yeah, pushing a falsified form of science in order to promote your agenda.... the irony is so rich!

I always ask why certain religious people need to prove God's existence. Whom are they trying to convince, themselves or others? They are also ignorant of the fact that there are scriptures far older than their Bible.

“The Hindu religion is the only one of the world’s great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths. It is the only religion in which the time scales correspond to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long. Longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang.” - Carl Sagan.
Sure, the Hindu calculations are a bit off, but it's not bad for 3,000 BCE.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I've never really delved deep into how they came up with "thousands of years"... I think you have prompted me to look into how those scientists came to their conclusions.

The reason why modern YEC scientists went with "thousands of years" is because they put their beliefs first ahead of their scientific endeavors. Their presuppositions start with their particular interpretation of their religious beliefs, then they try to use science to prove those beliefs true. When that fails, they try something else. Then, they try something else when that fails

While they continue to hit their head against a brick wall over and over and fulfill the true definition of insanity, the rest of the scientific body just keeps chugging along

That's not to say that religious people are bad at science - on the contrary. As far as I'm aware many if not most scientists happen to be very religious too. What separates them is that they do not try to prove their assumptions right in spite of the evidence. Instead, they simply follow where the evidence leads and go from there

If you are literally asking why young earth creationists chose thousands of years, I know from the Christian perspective it has a lot to do with things mentioned in the bible. Jesus' geneological line traced back to Adam, for one

exchemist

Veteran Member
but isn't "plausible" also in the eyes of the beholder? Consensus thought Einsteins position at one time were not "plausible" and even "ridiculous" and was demeaned and attacked by many - but science corrected itself.
Actually I don't think there is much evidence that Einstein was attacked or thought ridiculous. I suspect this is largely a romantic myth, perpetuated by people who want their own alternative ideas to be given credit - a variant on the "They laughed at Galileo" gambit.

In fact, Einstein's annus mirabilis papers were published in 1905, when he was 26, and already by 1908 he was recognised as a leading physicist and appointed lecturer at Bern, being promoted to associate professor a year later and becoming a full professor* at Prague in 1911. That is a pretty rapid acceptance by the science community, by any standards.

*In Europe a professor is not just any old academic teacher but the head of a faculty or a prestigious guest academic.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
but isn't "plausible" also in the eyes of the beholder? Consensus thought Einsteins position at one time were not "plausible" and even "ridiculous" and was demeaned and attacked by many - but science corrected itself.
No it was not. Einstein's ideas were very rapidly accepted.
Young earth is currently as irrational as flat earth theory given the evidence. So no, it does not have the status something that is controversial but possible.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I actually wrote that first, out of habit. But then I remembered YECs don't think the world is 4-5 billion years old, they think it's 6 to 10 THOUSAND years old. That puts them close to 13 billion years off.
That belief can become real tricky when we have strata of continuous deposition. One example that I can think of has roughly six million annual layers. Another one, and to make it worse it would be a "Flood deposit" according to YEC's, has only a few hundreds of thousands of layers of annual drying out. That leads to the question of how many times the flood dried up.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The young earth model seems to have been exclusively taken up by scientists with certain religious backgrounds due to their religious beliefs in this day and age, but is that true?

Are there any non-religious scientists who are working on hypotheses or theories regarding a possible young earth? I can't think of any that come to mind. I know that in the past, there were plenty of tests done to varify these things, but it seems like they've long since concluded that the earth is ancient, and the scientific body has moved on to other things

Is there any non-religious reason to come to the conclusion that the earth is young? What is the best evidence we have that the earth is only thousands of years old?
It changes all the time.
New study suggests the universe is billions of years younger than we thought

vulcanlogician

The scientific consensus ain't gonna change to date the universe to 10,000 years old. Period.

There is some uncertainty and conflicting data about the age of the universe, sure. But nothing approaching YEC numbers.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The scientific consensus ain't gonna change to date the universe to 10,000 years old. Period.

There is some uncertainty and conflicting data about the age of the universe, sure. But nothing approaching YEC numbers.
You know that some YEC believe that the universe is old, right?