• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Know It's Bad When...

Rakhel

The sheriff is scared

Life inside the asylum

The directions given over the phone were ominous: Come to Ciudad Juarez immediately, or else.
The March 1 call came in as a private number, but Marisol Valles Garciá knew something about the identity of the sinister male voice on the line. He’d been calling her with threats for the past four months. “You have a young son and a family,” he’d say. “You better take care of them.”
The mystery man is believed to have been a member of the Chapo Guzman cartel, which trafficked drugs into the US along a route that touched her sleepy little border town of Praxedis.
hief201407--300x300.jpg

Marisol Valles Garcia

Valles, 21, was the local police chief, but the man still expected her to submit to his order to meet with his drug cartel. “You will come or else,” he said.
The young mother, who’d worked in the department when her predecessor was decapitated by drug lords a year earlier, knew what “or else” meant. A few minutes later, her mother was on the phone to tell her that strange cars were driving by the family home.

Valles called her husband and told him to grab their 1-year-old son. She got her two sisters on the phone, and then her parents. Within half an hour, the entire family was mobilized.

Read more: Marisol Valles Garcia, who became sheriff of a Mexican town after no one else wanted the job, seeks asylum in US - NYPOST.com
She took her family to Texas and asked for asylum.

gnomon

I wholly support granting her asylum.

After all, we're supplying the firearms for the cartels.

We should grant amnesty and apologize.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, I guess that Marisol is glad the US is in such close proximity and is allowing her to stay here LEGALLY while her request for asylum is processed.

Kathryn

I feel a little bit of sarcasm here. You don't approve?

I absolutely approve of her coming here legally and applying for asylum, which she will almost certainly get, considering the high profile nature of her case.

My undercurrent of sarcasm was directed at those who insist on spinning the total chaos and horror of Mexico as somehow being the fault of the United States.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
My undercurrent of sarcasm was directed at those who insist on spinning the total chaos and horror of Mexico as somehow being the fault of the United States.
You know it's always AmeriKKKa's fault. Always. No exceptions. Nope. Never. :rolleyes:

Kathryn

AmeriKKKan judges, anyway. Of course. Nothing's fair or good here in AmeriKKKa. Chick can't get a break unless she's hot.

gnomon

I wholly support granting her asylum.

After all, we're supplying the firearms for the cartels.

We should grant amnesty and apologize.

I should amend.

Not supplying arms for the cartels but knowingly allowing thousands of guns to be illegally sold from the U.S., specifically Arizona, to straw buyers who supplied the guns to drug cartels.

From the Executive Summary of the DOJ's report on Operation Fast and Furious: ATF Agent's Accounts:

Though many line agents objected vociferously, ATF and DOJ leadership continued to prevent them from making every effort to interdict illegally purchased firearms. Instead, leadership’s focus was on trying to identify additional conspirators, as directed by the Department’s strategy for combating Mexican Drug Cartels. ATF and DOJ leadership were interested in seeing where these guns would ultimately end up. They hoped to establish a connection between the local straw buyers in Arizona and the Mexico-based DTOs. By entering serial numbers from suspicious transactions into the Suspect Gun Database, ATF would be quickly notified as each one was later recovered at crime scenes and traced, either in the United States or in Mexico.

The Department’s leadership allowed the ATF to implement this flawed strategy, fully
aware of what was taking place on the ground. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Arizona encouraged and supported every single facet of Fast and Furious. Main Justice was involved in providing support and approving various aspects of the Operation, including wiretap applications that would necessarily include painstakingly detailed descriptions of what ATF knew about the straw buyers it was monitoring.

This hapless plan allowed the guns in question to disappear out of the agency’s view. As a result, this chain of events inevitably placed the guns in the hands of violent criminals. ATF would only see these guns again after they turned up at a crime scene. Tragically, many of these recoveries involved loss of life. While leadership at ATF and DOJ no doubt regard these deaths as tragic, the deaths were a clearly foreseeable result of the strategy. Both line agents and gun dealers who cooperated with the ATF repeatedly expressed concerns about that risk, but ATF
supervisors did not heed those warnings. Instead, they told agents to follow orders because this was sanctioned from above
. They told gun dealers not to worry because they would make sure the guns didn’t fall into the wrong hands.

Unfortunately, ATF never achieved the laudable goal of dismantling a drug cartel. In
fact, ATF never even got close. After months and months of investigative work, Fast and Furious resulted only in indictments of 20 straw purchasers. Those indictments came only after the death of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry. The indictments, filed January 19, 2011, focus mainly on what is known as “lying and buying.” Lying and buying involves a straw purchaser falsely filling out ATF Form 4473, which is to be completed truthfully in order to legally acquire a firearm. Even worse, ATF knew most of the indicted straw purchasers to be straw purchasers before Fast and Furious even began.
Yeah, I think we owe a law enforcement official running from the cartels in Mexico an apology for that.

edit: I forgot to include the pdf file:http://oversight.house.gov/images/stories/Reports/ATF_Report.pdf

Last edited:

Kathryn

Guns don't kill people = people kill people.

I know that's an oversimplification of the issue, but my point is that the violence in Mexico doesn't come from GUNS, it comes from issues deeply inbedded in that culture and in the extremely corrupt Mexican government.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I know that's an oversimplification of the issue, but my point is that the violence in Mexico doesn't come from GUNS, it comes from issues deeply inbedded in that culture and in the extremely corrupt Mexican government.
You can't say that! You're criticizing another culture, & of course, we all know that is wrong.
It must be the guns. Right here, where I live, everyone I know (the males anyway) owns guns.
The bloody carnage is.....is....uh.....oh, there is no carnage. How can this be?!?!

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I absolutely approve of her coming here legally and applying for asylum, which she will almost certainly get, considering the high profile nature of her case.
Will she? I'm not so sure.

She's not the only person living in that area. If you grant her asylum on the grounds that living in the area controlled by Guzman's cartel presents an unacceptable risk to one's life, then you set a precedent that could let many other people apply for refugee status.

These cartels are in business to make money. If you make it no longer cost-effective for them to smuggle guns into the country, then they will adapt their practices to whatever the new optimum is that will allow them to derive the most profit... and hopefully with less access to guns, it will be a less violent optimum.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

:clap:clap yes :clap:clap

Denigrated the US is in vogue, but that renders it no less petty or superficial.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
:clap:clap yes :clap:clap

Denigrated the US is in vogue, but that renders it no less petty or superficial.
Since the power of the Mexican cartels is derived almost directly from American strategy and tactics in the so-called "War on Drugs", in this case, I think it's entirely appropriate.

Your country provided a ready source of both demand and weapons for these cartels. Maybe the environment of Mexico was especially suited to the development of these cartels, but when you plant a seed, water it, and fertilize it, when it grows, you can't exactly say that it was all because of the soil.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since the power of the Mexican cartels is derived almost directly from American strategy and tactics in the so-called "War on Drugs", in this case, I think it's entirely appropriate.

Your country provided a ready source of both demand and weapons for these cartels. Maybe the environment of Mexico was especially suited to the development of these cartels, but when you plant a seed, water it, and fertilize it, when it grows, you can't exactly say that it was all because of the soil.

I blame Canada....
Mexican drug war spilling into Canada - thestar.com
The US is sandwich meat, stuck between 2 slices of pure evil!