• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You dont have to be me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sufism is spiritual activation and evolution through participation, practice and
one’s own experience. It is a process of evolution of self in harmony with the others.
Sufis believe in evolution of a man into a complete man by enlightenment through one’s own experience and understanding. The spirituality of Sufis reflect in their every day action.
It is not something external reserved for some special occasion, but a part and parcel of their being. Sufis make a conscious effort to evolve as a perfect man. The man is God’s highest creation, having his own individuality, knowledge and bliss, yet he is not perfect. In him there is a reflection of all His Attributes. It is said that God has made human beings in His own image. The God is perfect, and, therefore, this desire to achieve perfection is reflected profoundly in the human beings. The man has evolved into human being after passing through various stages of evolution, which reflect into his being. All that is there in the universe is reflected in him. The man is a microcosm in himself; whatever is there in Him, its reflection is there on man as per his needs and suitability.

This text is from "sufism beyong religion."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is why I am not and can never be a Sufi.

As I understand it, this belief is pretty consistent in most, if not all Abrahamic religions.
Yes, you can find it in Abrahamic belief:)
Sufism isn't for everyone, there are many other paths/beliefs out there for people to believe in.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The path to spirituality essentially involves three steps. The first is to turn one’s attention towards it, the second is to attend Satsang (i.e. to be in the Company of a realised soul i.e. one’s Master), which is the easiest way to overcome one’s ego, and the third is to develop a keen desire to realise the Absolute Truth. In fact, the first step gradually leads to the second and the second step leads to the third and if the seeker is committed to his resolve, he is bound to succeed. This is the Divine Law.
Sufis lay a lot of stress on the internal practices directed towards one’s heart. All the practices are aimed at shedding of one’s ego, which is the biggest hurdle in the realisation. The objective of all the Sufi practices is to attain a state of constant remembrance of God i.e. to continuously remain in the Presence of the God. Sufis consider Jikr (remembrance), Fikr (contemplation), Muraqaba (Meditation), Mushahada
(Vision) and Muhasaba (Reckoning) as the practices that are most helpful in achieving
this objective.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The spirituality of Sufis reflect in their every day action.

We are all human and thus imperfect but doing our best to manifest our understanding in every day action is the mark of Sufis as well as others.

As I understand it, this belief is pretty consistent in most, if not all Abrahamic religions.

In the East, the atman is part of paramatman. which is not expressed the same way but to me is a different way of expressing that same truth.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Who is to say that the Atman is exclusive to humans?
Not me.

But that was not the statement. The statement is that humans are the highest of God's creations. I would express that as the atman exists in all forms from stone to human. Through successive forms it becomes ever more conscious until achieving full consciousness in the human form and then reincarnates to complete the journey to unite with paramatman.

So I interpret the word "highest" as being the form where the atman, God's creation, has achieved the highest consciousness and development.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Not me.

But that was not the statement. The statement is that humans are the highest of God's creations. I would express that as the atman exists in all forms from stone to human. Through successive forms it becomes ever more conscious until achieving full consciousness in the human form and then reincarnates to complete the journey to unite with paramatman.

So I interpret the word "highest" as being the form where the atman, God's creation, has achieved the highest consciousness and development.

Ayam Atma Brahma. (This Atman is verily Brahman.)

It is my understanding that the succession is an illusion. If Atman is identical to Brahman, and all is Brahman, how can the Atman become "more conscious?"

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
The objective of all the Sufi practices is to attain a state of constant remembrance of God i.e. to continuously remain in the Presence of the God.

I like this part. A lot.
It seems to speak to the times in life when our connection to God, for whatever reason, may not feel as close as other times and suggests that we then can take comfort in the memory of our closeness, until a time when it returns once more.

Humbly
Hermit

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ayam Atma Brahma. (This Atman is verily Brahman.)

It is my understanding that the succession is an illusion. If Atman is identical to Brahman, and all is Brahman, how can the Atman become "more conscious?"

How can the non-dual experience duality? Being caught in duality, your question is not one I can answer outside of throwing out words. I accept that this is a paradox.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I like this part. A lot.
It seems to speak to the times in life when our connection to God, for whatever reason, may not feel as close as other times and suggests that we then can take comfort in the memory of our closeness, until a time when it returns once more.

Humbly
Hermit
Yes, there will be times our consciousness slips away from the thought and remembrance of God, but we must catch our thougyts and become conscious of what we focus on every moment.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
This is why I am not and can never be a Sufi.

You reminded me of a conversation I once had with a Krishna on the streets.

In some context that I do not fully recall anymore, he said to me: “Surely, you do not wish to be reborn as a tree?!” To which I replied that if souls were reincarnated, I’d be honoured to come back as a tree, for only a soul with the wisdom to know that there is nothing to find by roaming, could come back so rooted and stable. A restless soul would lack the courage required to remain firm and still no matter what.

A tree has less (wisdom) to learn than a man.

Humbly
Hermit