• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yoga

sage

Do any of you practice yoga?
I took a yoga class for 3 months, and found yoga to be one of the most relaxing (both physically and mentally) things I have ever done. I still practice yoga, but I should do it more often. Flexibility is always a good thing ...

Anyway, if you do, what do you do?

I usually practice breathing and relaxation for 10 - 20 minutes first, and then go through a series of poses for about 30 - 50 minutes, then do more breathing and relaxation.

Master Vigil

I don't, I practice chi gung, tai chi, tang soo do, and ninjutsu. But I was really good friends with a yoga instructor, and was very fascinated with it. It's just not my style. :D

cfer

I don't, but I would like to. Right now I'm about as flexible as an oak tree.

Isn't yoga also a very good workout, too? Or is it only stretching? Will it help one to lose weight?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
cfer said:
I don't, but I would like to. Right now I'm about as flexible as an oak tree.

Isn't yoga also a very good workout, too? Or is it only stretching? Will it help one to lose weight?
I bet you're a jolly sight more flexible than I! now, as for loosing weight.....I could do with a lot of that!!:)

cfer

michel said:
I bet you're a jolly sight more flexible than I! now, as for loosing weight.....I could do with a lot of that!!:)
I highly doubt that. My finace and I recently joined Weight Watchers (I definitely need it, she's just doing it to support my efforts. Isn't she great?!??)

I am not flexible at all. If I straighten my legs I can feel my hamstrings snap.
;)

sage

It tremendously increases flexibility. There's a test called a "sit and reach" test to measure flexibility. I reached 20" before yoga, and could do 34" after 3 months, but now I can only do like a 25". Some of the poses and quicker movements do get you sweating, but more challenging cardiovascular workouts would be better (jogging, swimming, rowing, biking, etc...)

I recently completed a fitness test that said my upper body strength and abdominals were 5 out of 6, but my stamina and my flexibility were 3 out of 6. So... yoga and swimming it is!

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I love yoga, but I have been very on-again, off-again in my practice of it. Lately I'm starting to feel an "on-again" coming on...again. :p I'd like to go to a class regularly, but I can't afford to do that, so I only ever do yoga at home on my own. When I am doing it regularly, I notice the difference in myself (body and soul). You'd think that'd be enough incentive for me to do it all the time, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

For those who don't know much about yoga, this site is quite helpful.

Unedited

I'd like to, but I have no motivation for exercise, or anything really. It takes all my will, and a very persistent friend, just to get up in the morning to run.