• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yoga and Islam

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
There are levels of understanding in the Quran and what you are percieving as a violation of Oneness of God(wahdat), is really the greatest kind of oneness of God. What Mansur Hallaj said was really the greatest kind of submission possible. Since you are interpreting him at the level of an ordinary thinking, so you cannot reconcile yourself to that idea. But try to think in this direction: Mansur Hallaj had intense love for God. As is said in the following Prophetic tradition, his love reached an extreme where God became his hearing, his actions etc

In effect, he lost all conciousness of himself as an individual and as soon as he did that all there remained was God. There was nothing left for him to identify himself by, and so he uttered Ana-al-Haq.

In reality, the person who says "Thou art God and I am thy servant", is acknowledging two existences, of himself and of God, but in Hallaj's case, he had annihilated all duality, all pluralism, himself included and there only remained God.

Regards.

I totally agree with you A-ManESL :) xxx

nawab

Listen I beleive in true love also and i do not want the whole world to know of my love and my intentions i want Allah only to know and before i say anything i use my words appropriatly so that i wont cause any misunderstanding, its just like the story of Tajmahal someone said look at Tajmahal its so nice and the romantic story behind it,

one poet wrote, Anginat logoin ne mohabat ki hain, kon kheta hein ke sadick na the jazbe unke
bas unke pas tasheer ka saman nahi tha, kyuin ke who be apne tara muflis thee

nawab

no its not Ana al haq means that i am the truth, in arabic that verse is actually claiming to be God almighty we can ask any arab

I just want to ask, what is your understanding of the idea that a person is one with God? And do you only mean the people who claim Oneness without distinction?

nawab

You dont have to agree with me just bear witness on the last day that what i have said to you.

the truth is not easy to swallow remember Abu Jahal he said i know that Allah is one and you Muhammad SAW are the messenger but i cannot become a muslim

I totally agree with you A-ManESL :) xxx

nawab

Brother The greatest form of submission which was possible was dont by our Nabi Kareem SAW, our Prophet Muhammad SAW was the greatest human in submission to Allah so follow him and not any random Shieks whose intentions we have yet to investigate

What Mansur Hallaj said was really the greatest kind of submission possible.

Regards.

A-ManESL

Listen I beleive in true love also and i do not want the whole world to know of my love and my intentions i want Allah only to know and before i say anything i use my words appropriatly so that i wont cause any misunderstanding, its just like the story of Tajmahal someone said look at Tajmahal its so nice and the romantic story behind it,

one poet wrote, Anginat logoin ne mohabat ki hain, kon kheta hein ke sadick na the jazbe unke
bas unke pas tasheer ka saman nahi tha, kyuin ke who be apne tara muflis thee

What do you think, that all the time whatever you want will come true? have you ever experienced the ecstasy of God, and its reprecussions? In the end, all is as God wills.

Sheikh Bayazid Bistami also used to say, "I am the greatest", "My spiritual station is the happiest" etc whenever he was in the state of ecstasy with God. When he used to come to his senses, his disciples told him about his sayings. Then he said, "I was wrong, in future when I start with this nonsense, plunge knives into me." Next time, when Sheikh Bayazid Bistami went into ecsatsy, and started with his utterances, some of his disciples decided to plunge knifes into him. But, lo and behold, each knife was turned back at the person who had aimed it.

Similarly, it is said that when Hallaj was executed the blood that poured forth from his body, traced out the words "Ana-al-Haq" on the sand.

What I wished to do was to point out that your instant judgement is not appreciable, there is no occassion for you to preach as to who should I follow. My position regarding prophet Muhammad(saw) is this: Prophet Muhammad(saw) never uttered such sayings for a particular reason, and that was this: Hallaj/Sheikh Bistami had reached a particular spiritual closeness with God and had stopped on that place. As soon as they stopped they could appreciate the wonder that place afforded them. But the Prophet never stopped and had kept on with his journey and crossed way beyond the level closeness achieved by Hallaj/Sheikh Bistami.

Regards.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
***Mod Advisory***
This forum is a DIR forum!
If your not Muslim, you should not post here except to ask very respectful questions.
No further debate will be tolerated!

Last edited:

Snowber

I'd like to just point out that in the Koran there is nothing specifically prohibiting Yoga or similar acts.

Yoga is an exercise/relaxation technique and unless you make it part of a religion, it has nothing to do with one. Well I guess you may argue it did originally, but what you make out of something is not the same as following it's roots I guess.

Satsangi

I'd like to just point out that in the Koran there is nothing specifically prohibiting Yoga or similar acts.

Yoga is an exercise/relaxation technique and unless you make it part of a religion, it has nothing to do with one. Well I guess you may argue it did originally, but what you make out of something is not the same as following it's roots I guess.

Yoga in the West is "exercise and relaxation"; but its origin is "God realization" or "Moksha." Yoga in its truest sense has to do everything with Sanatana Dharma. Plenty of Scriptures in Sanatana Dharma would support this view.

Regards,

Snowber

Yoga in the West is "exercise and relaxation"; but its origin is "God realization" or "Moksha." Yoga in its truest sense has to do everything with Sanatana Dharma. Plenty of Scriptures in Sanatana Dharma would support this view.

Regards,

Interesting information, thanks.