• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeshua on marriage:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
FFH said:
We believe marriages are recognized by the laws of the land, by obtaining a marriage license, and any other ceremony performed after that, is not binding for eternity, but only for time, unless performed in an LDS temple, therefore it makes no difference where the ceremony is performed, because it is not recognized by God in the eternities to come.

You confused me there a bit. You said it doesn't matter but then followed by a "unless performed in an LDS temple". So it does matter, right?

FFH

Veteran Member
Victor said:
You confused me there a bit. You said it doesn't matter but then followed by a "unless performed in an LDS temple". So it does matter, right?
We believe that no marriage is binding for eternity, unless done in an LDS temple, therefore, it makes no difference where a person, outside an LDS temple, gets married, or even if a ceremony is performed. According to the laws of the land, all you need is a marriage license, and you are good to go, any ceremony performed after that, outside an LDS temple, would only be for show, and not recognized by God in the eternities, but only for time, according to LDS beliefs.

Therefore, it makes no difference where, or even if, a marriage ceremony is performed, outside an LDS temple. According to LDS beliefs, all you need is a marriage license, to comply with the laws of the land, and later, if you so choose, you can be sealed together for eternity, with your spouse, in an LDS temple.

Quiddity

FFH said:
We believe that no marriage is binding for eternity, unless done in an LDS temple, therefore, it makes no difference where a person, outside an LDS temple, gets married, or even if a ceremony is performed. According to the laws of the land, all you need is a marriage license, and you are good to go, any ceremony performed after that, outside an LDS temple, would only be for show, and not recognized by God in the eternities, but only for time, according to LDS beliefs.

Therefore, it makes no difference where, or even if, a marriage ceremony is performed, outside an LDS temple. According to LDS beliefs, all you need is a marriage license, to comply with the laws of the land, and later, if you so choose, you can be sealed together for eternity, with your spouse, in an LDS temple.

What I don't get is why LDS belief would care outside of the LDS temple? Why would it care if you had a "marriage license"?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Victor said:
What I don't get is why LDS belief would care outside of the LDS temple? Why would it care if you had a "marriage license"?

In response to thread, why we care about the marriage license. Well, in almost every country in order to be legally recognized by the state and get benefits, you need to be married and have proof of that.

Also the 12th article of faith:
We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, ikn obeying, honoring and sustaining the law.

Quiddity

beckysoup61 said:
In response to thread, why we care about the marriage license. Well, in almost every country in order to be legally recognized by the state and get benefits, you need to be married and have proof of that.

Also the 12th article of faith:
We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, ikn obeying, honoring and sustaining the law.

Well that gets into a whole other can of worms that is outside the scope of this thread (like, would you submit to rules that violated your faith? If not, then what happen to article 12?). But I understand why now.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Victor said:
Well that gets into a whole other can of worms that is outside the scope of this thread (like, would you submit to rules that violated your faith? If not, then what happen to article 12?). But I understand why now.

I hoped what I said made some sense, as soon as I posted it, I regretted it, because it made no sense to me, but yes, that's a whole 'nother can of worms, but I can say, the Church says it's our descion. There were some German members of the Church that smuggled Jews and some that were Nazi's. That's what's so great about free agency, we have our choice to do what we think is right. Like you said, 'nother can of worms.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Hokay, so we've established that Yeshua did actually say something concerning marriage. I'd like to see if anyone else has info on this subject. :)

(for topic, read the OP ;) )

standing_on_one_foot

Buttons* said:
Hokay, so we've established that Yeshua did actually say something concerning marriage. I'd like to see if anyone else has info on this subject. :)

(for topic, read the OP ;) )

Well...his first miracle was at a wedding, I feel that should at least tell you something indirectly (and as a favor to his mother too...NJB). I would've liked to have seen the look on her face. "Jesus, we're out of wine, could you run out and...oh, never mind. That works too."

But anyway, I mean, the first miracle is bringing wine to the celebration of a marriage. Gotta mean something, no? Maybe not exactly what you were asking, but I think it's a worthwhile point to bring up.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
standing_on_one_foot said:
Well...his first miracle was at a wedding, I feel that should at least tell you something indirectly (and as a favor to his mother too...NJB). I would've liked to have seen the look on her face. "Jesus, we're out of wine, could you run out and...oh, never mind. That works too."

But anyway, I mean, the first miracle is bringing wine to the celebration of a marriage. Gotta mean something, no? Maybe not exactly what you were asking, but I think it's a worthwhile point to bring up.
not OP material, but it works :D

Thanks for the contribution anyway.

I see your point, why would Yeshua;s miracle be at a wedding if he did not believe in marriages or weddings? *hmmm*