• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yemeni child bride dies after internal bleeding on marriage night

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I think many of us ignore the attempts to raise the age of marriage by moderate Muslims. Why is this?

I further suspect that many traditionalists who want to keep the age around 8 believe the prophet, (PBUH) married a girl that age, but what I have come to understand back in the day, they counted your years when you declare your faith. My math says Alisha (sp) was 12 when she declared her faith and then was counted as 8 which would have made her around 20 years old.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Your VP made me to search for the truth because i can't believe that her parents did such crime and just kept silent and i found the story to be false.

Yemen: Report of Child Bride's Death Is False

Did you read this article from beginning to end?
The Yemeni government provided no evidence that the girl was alive, why didn't they just interview the girl on TV if she is alive?

The article acknowledges that "If such a marriage took place, it would not be against the law in Yemen."

Since we both seem to agree that such a marriage is obviously wrong, why is it legal?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3497754 said:
Even though I am not a Muslim, I appreciate you trying to make that point clear. Nowhere in his posts, does FearGod, nor Assad91, justify the actions of the horrid man mentioned in the OP. I believe, if I recall correctly, it was a moderator who first brought up the involvement of Islam - intertwining it with the societal practices of rural Yemen.

I believe apologies are to be due in order. Either way, I apologize on the behalf of various members that shall go unnamed for the ad hominems FearGod and Assad91 experienced.
OK, moderators answer to us Admins and if the post you mentioned is reported, we will look at it. I will not discuss moderation but to say we all are members who agreed to follow the rules here.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
OK, moderators answer to us Admins and if the post you mentioned is reported, we will look at it. I will not discuss moderation but to say we all are members who agreed to follow the rules here.

I don't really want to report anything. But, I wanted to take the time and say that at least you, an admin, took the time to make it perfectly clear that FearGod (nor Assad91 for that matter) was not supporting the actions of the horrid person talked about in the OP. Thank you for doing so.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I personally feel that when a misinformed view is put forward and then thoroughly debunked, deleting the view robs others holding the same view and reading the thread of an opportunity to learn from it.

Please don't rob third parties of an opportunity for an education.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This might be a good time to mention that RF's founder had a dream of world peace. If all of us can learn about each other and get along, it might just be one step in the right direction. World peace has to start somewhere, why not on a world internet forum?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
This might be a good time to mention that RF's founder had a dream of world peace. If all of us can learn about each other and get along, it might just be one step in the right direction. World peace has to start somewhere, why not on a world internet forum?

I just came for the beer and the chicks. :shrug:

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Folks, FearGod has called this man a monster. He is in agreement and holds contempt for this man's actions.

There is no way you can group 2 billion people responsible for the actions of this man.

This is a world forum and we have over 50,000 members and no one has made an attempt to excuse these terrible actions.

As far as I can tell, we are all in agreement here, (did I just say that?).

मैत्रावरुणिः;3497754 said:
Even though I am not a Muslim, I appreciate you trying to make that point clear. Nowhere in his posts, does FearGod, nor Assad91, justify the actions of the horrid man mentioned in the OP. I believe, if I recall correctly, it was a moderator who first brought up the involvement of Islam - intertwining it with the societal practices of rural Yemen.

I believe apologies are to be due in order. Either way, I apologize on the behalf of various members that shall go unnamed for the ad hominems FearGod and Assad91 experienced.
Thank you

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I think many of us ignore the attempts to raise the age of marriage by moderate Muslims. Why is this?

I further suspect that many traditionalists who want to keep the age around 8 believe the prophet, (PBUH) married a girl that age, but what I have come to understand back in the day, they counted your years when you declare your faith. My math says Alisha (sp) was 12 when she declared her faith and then was counted as 8 which would have made her around 20 years old.

it is really hard to know the real ages of people 1400 years ago,no official records,no IDs,no Passports,no birth certificates,no schools....etc.

The quran never authorized the child marriage in any verse and some verses in the quran was adressing Mohammed such as

VERILY, [O Muhammad,] We have laid before thee a manifest victory, (48:1)
SAY [O Muhammad]: "O men! I am but a plain warner [sent by God] unto you!" (22:49)

We can't see in the quran one verse saying

O Muhammad,the child Aisha was sent by us to be your spouse on this world and the hereafter,it is written and should be fulfilled.

The prophet first marriage was a woman older than him,not even sure,some says she wasn't older than him,so no one is sure about the exact dates.

Also the prophet spent most of his years for the message of Islam and even in his last days when he knew that he'll leave the world,he asked for people to gather to listen to his last sermon.

[youtube]qAqW8jyHMxY[/youtube]
Last Sermon of PROPHET MUHAMMAD (PBUH) - YouTube

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I think politics don't want to have problems with some religious.
In some countries they have a lot of power. Of course there's many associations who try to help the children and women but it seems to not change a lot.

Note that in Yemen they are tribes, and the country is not stable and not united.
The tribes have their own laws, they don't really care about the governement.
Thats why I tried avoiding the use of the word government but I suppose it still strongly implies that huh? I just meant whoever is setting, monitoring and enforcing the rules in that region (tribal council etc).

How can you hold an inanimate thought responsible for actions of a man?
I dont - nothing which is inanimate has 'responsibility' (if I have previously used the term that was technically incorrect) what I think is that it has been developed (probably by people) in such a way that it condones their actions - including pedophilia. But are religions entirely inanimate? Do they exist seperate to people - not entirely, their texts do, but not religions which include oral traditions, established interpretations, norms of behaviour and more.

Yet let us look merely at those inanimate portions you mentioned, the texts, their content and character therefore while not 'responsible' for the man's actions serves to act as justification (if not actually contributing to the desire for it, which it may for some and not for many) - obviously this can only be done by individuals, one needs to read the text (or at least pretend to have) in order to be able to use content within it as justification. If there is indeed content within the text that condones such behaviour it would mean one of two things - either that the content is immoral and/or incorrect or that the content - held to be indicative of what it means to be a good muslim, shows that the behaviour is moral. If indeed there is content in the texts which supports such assertions; regardless of whether or not all muslims interpret them the same way or even accept them, those texts are indeed problematic in that the content within condones immorality in princple and has been used to justify it in practice.

Actually one of the quotes talks about the female children and taking them. The Quran does not state the age of Ayesha as far as I can tell, nor does it mention sex with them either. But when you say Islam, you are stating the entire religious community.
Once again, only mentioning the Quran. And yes, I am stating the entire religious community - though I recognise gradiated of responsibility not uniformity. In the same way I have some small responsibility over things that I have extremely limited control, I have more responsibility as my control increases, that is where responsibility comes from - our awareness of the situation and our ability to effect it without breaking the law or our acceptance of it.

I am not a Muslim in any traditional sense, if anything I would adhere to Sufism the most. The problem I have is how do you define a religion? If I say I am Buddhist, but I am a serial killer am I a Buddhist? Is religion decided by a certain amount of people acting in a similar manner that claim to be of that religion? If I were to claim that I was a Muslim, and to write an Islamic text saying that Ayesha was 16 when she was married to Mohammed, would that make it a religious text? What is the criteria for a religious text? How many people that claim to be a part of that religion declaring something as true?
I am not exactly sure what most of this is intended to mean, but on the last point? A text can be considered a religious text in the formal sense through acceptance of it by various religious institutions and so forth, i.e. its adoption; note that gradient of responsibility I mentioned before; one who adopts the text would be higher on th gradient than one who does not - but even for those who rejected it simply by being aware that the text is there and of its content (in order to reject it) by being aware of the content one has obtained responsibility - at the absolute least to ensure the reasons for that disagreement are disseminated to everyone who might one day be exposed to that content and need to determine whether or not to accept it. Even non Muslims are indeed responsible for this - it is merely that we are further down the gradient that muslims in general, who are further down from those muslims who accept the texts, further down from those who accept the interpretations, further down from those who accept the practice, further down from those who practice.

Are those that deny Hadith's Muslims? Are those that accept them Muslims? If so, where is the line between Islam? If you have a problem with those that accept Hadiths that support child marriage, why not specify, rather than saying Islam supports child marriage?
I have no idea how a discussion of what consistutes a muslim is relevant to this topic. I am willing to discuss it elsewhere (though would probably be vastly underqualified) but it seems inappropriate for this thread.

In the same way that Christianity (and its texts) support the hatespeech of the WBC (which it does) it can also at the same time denounce it (which it does) the two are not exclusive, just as is the case with Islam and pedophilia,

Why is Sharia not a religion? Who says it's not? Why do they have the authority to declare what is and what is not a religion? What particular religious communities as it a part of? What religious communities is it not a part of? Where is Sharia more prominent? What are the socioeconomic status where Sharia is more prominent? Does it remain a part of all Islamic religious communities? If Sharia is not part of a particular Islamic community, is the community still Muslim?
Sharia (the princple) is an ideal of theologically based justice; Sharia (the structure of the various legal systems) an attempt to codify the principle, Sharia (the practice) an attempt to implement that code on a population. The theological code is that of someone's interpretation of Islamic lore, it is no more a religion seperate to Islam than the formulation of certain rituals for religious observance (because that is essentially what it is). Saying Sharia is a religion would be kind of like saying that the structure of a mass is a religion itself, it is not.

If you take out religious of your first statement, I totally agree with you.
If you agree with the rest, then I am not sure there is a basis to NOT agree with the first. Responsibility is not an on/off deal, it comes in increments, in degrees - I personally bear some small portoin of responsibility with relation to how that girl suffered (it is indeed a small portion of responsibility, but certainly I do, because I tolerated what I believe to be nonsense, but was used as justification for rape, what control I might have exercised over the situation is negligible and thus the responsibility is minute, but it persists).

They are scared for their lives? The fear of personal harm is a strong motivator of people. Would you sacrifice your life for the well-being of another? If the people that promote these ideas have the power to have you killed, would you speak out against it?
Truly? You think the Imams in Turkey are scared of those in Yemen? You think the people of Iraq scared of those in Yemen? You think the Indoneseans scared of those in Yemen? Why is it that all of them - nations all over the world, many of whom are far more powerful than Yemen, all scared?

Apparently 'fear' is insufficient to prevent Imams from speaking out, or people from gathering on the streets to protest when it comes to a technologically overwlelming foe such as America, it does not prevent the overwhelming message of unity in cause against something that they deem to be wrong as espousal or rejection of perceived immorality. I highly doubt fear of Yemen fanatics is enough to still tongues that still wag even in the face of US force (far more potent than what Yemen might muster) - but even if it were the case, that would not alter the responsibility you or I have in order to try to ensure that some other little girl is not going to be raped to death again tonight, while a pedophile uses some religious interpretation as justification for their actions.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
मैत्रावरुणिः;3497777 said:
I don't really want to report anything. But, I wanted to take the time and say that at least you, an admin, took the time to make it perfectly clear that FearGod (nor Assad91 for that matter) was not supporting the actions of the horrid person talked about in the OP. Thank you for doing so.

Thank you Rev Rick & मैत्रावरुणि for elucidating our position and views regarding our opposition to the child marriage and to any harm that may be caused to a child due to such awful act.

Looncall

i don't know how you compare a cow to a woman.

Which unhealthy obsession that i displayed,my refusal for women to work as prostitute or to wear very short skirt shopping in a mall and men's eyes staring at her thighs.

Which better for girls you think.

1 - walk naked in the market.
2 - walk wearing panty.
3 - walk wearing short trouser.
4 - walk wearing long trouser.

Any rational mind can see that 4 is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2,so God knows better what is good for women,but yes i agree with you for men we wish all girls to be No 1

What is best is for a woman to decide for herself, as an independent person, not as someone considered to be property by some man.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
What is best is for a woman to decide for herself, as an independent person, not as someone considered to be property by some man.

So my daughter isn't mine.

We aren't talking about property but about human relationships,between a father and his children.

A question.

Would you be glad to know that your daughter or your sister chose to gain money by prostitution ?

"Your" means belong to you
Will you respect her choice ?
Will you just keep silent and say "it isn't of my own business"

Aquitaine

Lol, there is nothing specific about "Abrahamic monotheism" or "divine permission", and since none of these logically necessitate the acceptance of child marriage in modern times, I believe you are pulling your own leg.

The Baha'i faith is Abrahamic/Monotheistic, and forbids child marriage.

If you disagree, prove me wrong!

For the sake of this thread I have referred to the Abramhamic religions (i.e Christianity, Judaism, Islam) since overall they're the most popular. What I'm trying to say is, there are people who (under religious conviction) believe their actions (no matter how horrifying) are not only acceptable but have divine permission. For example, suicide bombers.

It's different with Culture, Politics, Economics etc, because no human believes those three are some sort of divine spiritual "plan" of a super-being. People accept Politics (for example) as man-made and thus open to criticism and replacement, the same cannot be said with religion.

Of course, I'm starting to derail from the original subject of this thread, so I'm gonna wrap it up and just state that what I am basically saying is religion can be a factor alongside poverty, poor education, culture etc.

Don't agree with me? Fine, it's my opinion.

InformedIgnorance

So my daughter isn't mine.

We aren't talking about property but about human relationships,between a father and his children.

A question.

Would you be glad to know that your daughter or your sister chose to gain money by prostitution ?

"Your" means belong to you
Will you respect her choice ?
Will you just keep silent and say "it isn't of my own business"
I wouldnt be glad - but it is none of my business.

Since marriage (usually) involves the strong implicit (perhaps even explicit) recognition of sexual exclusivity, yes it would be my business were my wife (if I had one) to engage in sexual activities with anyone other than myself. Even though I would not own her, nor would I have the right to restrict her activities, she could choose to wear things I disapprove of, she could even choose to become a prostitute though I would have the right to know and thus determine whether or not I wanted a divorce. The same cannot be said of my mother, my sister, my daughter, my niece, my cousin, my neighbor - it is simply not my right to influence (let alone control) their decisions, it is not my business.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Oh it IS my business, just beyond my control. That is if they are an adult and out of my home.

My kids pulled that, "I am 18, you can't tell me what to do".

All I said was as long as you drive that car or live in my house or expect to get any money from me, you will respect my wishes.

You know what? They are on their own and I have gave them a million dollar farm and have absolutely no control over them any more and they still respect my wishes.

InformedIgnorance

IF they receive something from you you can put conditions on its reciept - a contract.

If they receive from you and you have stated that you will only give this to them under certain conditions to which they have given their informed consent (without being pressured or enjoined to do so), it is because they are bound by contract that they need to conform to your wishes, not simply because they are your wishes.

Last edited:

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Oh it IS my business, just beyond my control. That is if they are an adult and out of my home.

My kids pulled that, "I am 18, you can't tell me what to do".

All I said was as long as you drive that car or live in my house or expect to get any money from me, you will respect my wishes.

You know what? They are on their own and I have gave them a million dollar farm and have absolutely no control over them any more and they still respect my wishes.

Exactly how I plan on raising my daughter.

Anyway, you can't control someone. And there is no compulsion in Islam.

Once 18 and out of the house, my daughter can make her own decisions completely free from my wishes. I just hope to raise her to be self-respecting and intelligent:)