• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XBOX360 vs Playstation 3

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Oww common, I have waited long enough now and nobody made this one yet. Well, not recently anyway and as my opinion has changed in the years...

Before this thread, this was my only forum without this thread. It's almost like missing the "word association", "what are you listening", "pirates vs ninja's" or "star wars vs star trek".. These are essentials..

P.S. I don't think the wii belongs here. I know way too many people having a wii on the side, including myself. The thing was so cheap (Although so far it costed me more than my 360 with all the remotes and stuff) and innovative that everyone wanted one. Clearly in sales, the wii has won and can no longer be beaten.

So much for my intro. :D
I'll start where my opinion has changed. I used to favor the PS3 in winning. Not because I favor Sony, but because of what the PS2 did to this world. I figured that Sony has won with his brand "playstation" and it wouldn't be easy taking it's crown.
After the RRoD and scratched dvd on the 360, I thought the battle was over.

But it's not. For a hardware-inferior machine, the 360 sales still top the PS3 sales. Even though the 360 is somewhat older as well. So I started looking at the past and this is why I changed my opinion. Clearly the PS3 tops the hardware of the 360. This is also found in it's price. But if we look at the previous generation, it was not the best hardware (The XBOX) that won, it wasn't a good name (the gamecube) that sold, but it was the worst hardware for a cheap price (The playstation 2) that made people buy consoles. The dreamcast was plagued by the bad sales of the saturn, sadly enough.. (In fact, it was always the superior expensive machines that lost, see the Neo Geo or 3DO)
The PS2 had tons and tons of games and some exclusives. Guess what the 360 is doing now..
Innovation is still a big thing. The PS2 came with a DVD player and that must have won a lot of gamers as the DVD player was still very new in that age. In the beginning I thought the Blurayplayer of the PS3 would do the same, but you know what... I think bluray will never get the popularity as DVD did. In fact, I am allready placing all my own DVD's on my harddisc. With the size of HD's and the speed of internet nowadays, I don't want to fill my room with discs and boxes!!! Bluray was allready oldschool before it could venture the world. By the time people start needing it, the rest will be fast enough to download or stream your HDmovies.
Innovation doesn't stop there. Nintendo gave them a workingarea and both are now into motiondetection...Whooo.....exciting... Only motiondetection is the reason why so many wii's are collecting dust allready. It might gain some allroundplayers, but those allready have their wii. Hardcoreplayers don't want to be fit, or move weirdly with their arms during gaming. They want to be lazy and sit in their chairs with a controller that fits in both hands. Or to make it sound more possitive, we don't want movement around us that distract us from making headshots.

Ooh, this is allready longer than I originally wanted. Let's wait a few posts now to see reactions :p

Panda

42?
Premium Member
The PS3 is better graphically and it's faster loading time, due to installing games, is another plus. I prefer to controller but probably just because I have had a Playstation since 1995 so am just so used to it. PS3 having blu-ray is a slight advantage but not much. The motion sensitive controller is fun and I like how everything is standard USB or bluetooth. Means I can use any bluetooth headset, any USB keyboard and since the controllers only needs a USB lead to charge saves some money there. Free online play is a big plus for me. The PS3 wins hands down for reliability. I like that I can store movies and music on it as well as being able to browse the internet. It is much more expensive though.

The 360 is much cheaper, has some decent exclusive games. The battery pack is much easier to change in the controller as well. The 360 feels more robust than the PS3

I think online use for both is simple to use and so is the entire interface.

If money wasn't an issue the PS3 wins without any competition but it is so much more expensive and I'm not sure if it is worth it overall, even though I have a PS3.

To date the 360 has sold only about 8 million more worldwide than the PS3, with the Wii being the top console by a good bit though nothing is even in the same league as the PS2 was. I'm not sure if anything will ever achieve dominance like that again.

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
The PS3 is better graphically and it's faster loading time, due to installing games, is another plus.
Yeah, but so far, most games have better graphics on the XBOX360 because of the processor. I agree that this is changing as we speak because the new processor of the PS3 is now known to the companies. It's a timething in wich we would have to ask ourselves if PS3 has enough time to recover. Sony is still talking about it's 10 year plan. Now I am more a PC player, but hardware wich is 10 years old? The only one who can do that is the PS2, appareantly, and than I'll have to quote you again:
To date the 360 has sold only about 8 million more worldwide than the PS3, with the Wii being the top console by a good bit though nothing is even in the same league as the PS2 was. I'm not sure if anything will ever achieve dominance like that again.
On the side note, since the new interface XBOX can store it's games on the console as well..

I prefer to controller but probably just because I have had a Playstation since 1995 so am just so used to it. PS3 having blu-ray is a slight advantage but not much. The motion sensitive controller is fun and I like how everything is standard USB or bluetooth. Means I can use any bluetooth headset, any USB keyboard and since the controllers only needs a USB lead to charge saves some money there. Free online play is a big plus for me. The PS3 wins hands down for reliability. I like that I can store movies and music on it as well as being able to browse the internet. It is much more expensive though.
The motion thing never did anything to me, It's clearly inferior to the wii's one and more a sidedish in Playstations version.

The internetexplorer is a great plus for the PS3.

I think online use for both is simple to use and so is the entire interface.
About the online-experience. My friend who has a PS3 has a few games with serious drops over the internet. I have the feeling the microsoftservers are a lot more stable.
I prefer PS3's interface though, specially after the new NXE interface of the 360.

If money wasn't an issue the PS3 wins without any competition but it is so much more expensive and I'm not sure if it is worth it overall, even though I have a PS3.
I also still think time of release is a big isue. If microsoft manages to have a new console by the time the economy stabalizes, they will clearly win. We all know Sony is only coming with a slimm version and an even slimmer version within 6 years anyway and they are still not really dropping prices. The new microsoftconsole will be better in every way and not much more expensive if at all..

But when will that economy stabalize huh? :D

Panda

42?
Premium Member
On the side note, since the new interface XBOX can store it's games on the console as well..

I didn't know that.

The motion thing never did anything to me, It's clearly inferior to the wii's one and more a sidedish in Playstations version.

It is fun in Little Big Planet :p

About the online-experience. My friend who has a PS3 has a few games with serious drops over the internet. I have the feeling the microsoftservers are a lot more stable.
I prefer PS3's interface though, specially after the new NXE interface of the 360.

I don't have problems with internet connections at all. It is a wee bit laggy at home but thats because of our internet connection, and the other 2 computers in house using it at same time. At uni was awesome, no lag ever.

I also still think time of release is a big isue. If microsoft manages to have a new console by the time the economy stabalizes, they will clearly win. We all know Sony is only coming with a slimm version and an even slimmer version within 6 years anyway and they are still not really dropping prices. The new microsoftconsole will be better in every way and not much more expensive if at all.

I agree but the console market and the PC market are totally different. Games are still made for the PS2. A console has a much longer lifespan than a PC.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I didn't know that.
The new interface was a great difference for the XBOX360. You can just see they needed a new interface to advance in other things. But it's UGLY! :eek:

It is fun in Little Big Planet :p
Well surelly it's an addition. But it won't give victory to Sony, one of the reasons of their new motiondetection. However, motiondetection alone can no longer win for a console as all 3 have motiondetection soon.

I don't have problems with internet connections at all. It is a wee bit laggy at home but thats because of our internet connection, and the other 2 computers in house using it at same time. At uni was awesome, no lag ever.
Can't really comment on that. I only heard from a friend from wich I know he is not that hardcore online.

I agree but the console market and the PC market are totally different. Games are still made for the PS2. A console has a much longer lifespan than a PC.
Definatelly! It's a different playfield. PC-players tend to upgrade untill they have to buy a new motherboard. This is not possible for consoles. Many consoles tried hardware-upgrades like the Sega Cd, Sega 32X, nintendo's videomemory, but all failed.
But this is also a price issue. The reason why the PS2 still sells is it's price and games. And to be honest I also think it's because of the wii's hardware. Many of those games are also perfectly possible on the PS2 and therefor for companies it's still possible to make games for the PS2. Also, there are still people with no HD-TV :eek:
If you need to buy a new console and both the XBOXalot and the PS3 are equally in price but the XBOX is newer.. The 360 did expand the fanbase a lot compared to the XBOX original.
The ones who want a powermachine will get the new xbox. The ones who want a cheap system will get the cheapest one with the largest game database...the 360..

Now graphics are in a slight stop on this moment. They get better, ofcourse, but the PS2 still had the 2D/3D advantage. Now we are simply speeding up things and give details. With some great improvements in physics I might add. But eventually, the hardware will no longer cope. Crytek allready announced to get every last hertz out of the PS3 with crysis. A game I have allready been playing for a year I might add.
All the players who still buy the PS2 now will eventually get the chance to buy a new cheap system, or they will have to choose between a machine that allready maxed it's power, or a new one full of future. Wich is what Sony wanted the playstation 3 to be btw :p

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
or they will have to choose between a machine that allready maxed it's power, or a new one full of future. Wich is what Sony wanted the playstation 3 to be btw :p

BTW, Donkey kong country once showed me that a maxed out computer does not have to really be maxed out. But this is not what the newxbox commercials will say ofcourse ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I haven't got to play a PS3 yet, but given my preference of the PS2 over XBOX, and the 360 becoming very Wii-ish, and since PS3 has Metal Gear Solid 4 and 360 doesn't, I'm gonna go on a hunch and guess the PS3 is better.

rojse

RF Addict
I must admit I would prefer a PS3 to an X360, but would only consider buying it when they finish up with the patch to make all of them backwards-compatible with PS2 games.

Since the PS3 is much wider-spread in Japan, the PS3 has a predominance of RPG's, particularly JRPG's, which I have a fondness for, while the X360 is geared towards online, particularly shooters and the like, which do not particularly interest me.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I haven't got to play a PS3 yet, but given my preference of the PS2 over XBOX, and the 360 becoming very Wii-ish, and since PS3 has Metal Gear Solid 4 and 360 doesn't, I'm gonna go on a hunch and guess the PS3 is better.
Metal Gear solid is no longer Playstation only.

Youtube - E3; announcement mgs on xbox

Like I said, microsoft is busy stealing all the PS3 exclusives. They also have Final Fantasy now as well.. The 360 is acting exactly like the PS2 did.

And I am very interrested why you think the xbox360 is getting wii-ish..:confused:

rojse

RF Addict
Metal Gear solid is no longer Playstation only.

Youtube - E3; announcement mgs on xbox

Like I said, microsoft is busy stealing all the PS3 exclusives. They also have Final Fantasy now as well.. The 360 is acting exactly like the PS2 did.

And I am very interrested why you think the xbox360 is getting wii-ish..:confused:

I don't think that X360 is acting like PS2 at all.

XBOX - released late 2001, discontinued late 2006. Last game released 2008. Library of 950 games.
PS2 - released 2000, still being sold. Games to be released in 2010. Library of over 1900 games.
X360 - released 2006, currently releasing games. Library of 1000 games (end 2009).
PS3 - released 2006, currently releasing games. Library of 550 games.

In a few years, X360 might be able to be compared to the PS2. But not right now, I think.

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I don't think that X360 is acting like PS2 at all.

XBOX - released late 2001, discontinued late 2006. Last game released 2008. Library of 950 games.
PS2 - released 2000, still being sold. Games to be released in 2010. Library of over 1900 games.
X360 - released 2006, currently releasing games. Library of 1000 games (end 2009).
PS3 - released 2006, currently releasing games. Library of 550 games.

In a few years, X360 might be able to be compared to the PS2. But not right now, I think.
These stats tell more about it's status than it's acting. I agree the 360 does not have the PS2's status. But the goal for having every game available and a large number of games is equal.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I think console exclusives in today's market is absurd and third party developers know this to be true also.
Agreed, but the PS3 and 360 are not as similar in hardware as the xbox and ps2 were. Now a game needs to be coded twice. Although I did read somewhere they had finished a crossover engine.

On the other hand, having exclusives is a real marketbonus for the companies. I don't think that playstation enjoys losing MGS and Final Fantasy.

rojse

RF Addict
I think console exclusives in today's market is absurd and third party developers know this to be true also.

There is the issue of recoding and distributing the same game under another console, particularly for a niche gaming genre - will the extra amount of games sold justify the reduced sales for the original (because people mightn't pick the original console to buy the game on, but would buy it for the original console if pressed) and the costs of recoding the game for the different architecture on another console?

When you start seeking out a niche genre like I do, you start to encounter a lot of games that don't even get translated into English, or if they do, don't get a PAL release, let alone a simultaneous release on multiple consoles.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Since the PS3 is much wider-spread in Japan, the PS3 has a predominance of RPG's, particularly JRPG's, which I have a fondness for, while the X360 is geared towards online, particularly shooters and the like, which do not particularly interest me.
I'm also putting off buying a PS3 until they get a latter model released. It might not matter as much with the PS3, but my original PS1 model (as did most of my friends) died out on its own, as did a good number of the bigger PS2 models.And yes, the 360 has far too many shooters, and little of anything else.
And I am very interrested why you think the xbox360 is getting wii-ish..
To me, the new avatar thing on the 360 just screams Wii rip off. The 360 is also about to release a motion sensor thing, which will make it play more like a Wii.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I'm also putting off buying a PS3 until they get a latter model released. It might not matter as much with the PS3, but my original PS1 model (as did most of my friends) died out on its own, as did a good number of the bigger PS2 models.And yes, the 360 has far too many shooters, and little of anything else.To me, the new avatar thing on the 360 just screams Wii rip off. The 360 is also about to release a motion sensor thing, which will make it play more like a Wii.

I'm glad I bought my PS3 when I did. Not only is it backwards compatible but it has just the right amount of disc space. Maybe they will streamline the design like the did with the PS2 (the PS3 has the weight and the look of a cinder block) but like rojse mentioned they should re-address the option for backward compatibility.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I'm glad I bought my PS3 when I did. Not only is it backwards compatible but it has just the right amount of disc space. Maybe they will streamline the design like the did with the PS2 (the PS3 has the weight and the look of a cinder block) but like rojse mentioned they should re-address the option for backward compatibility.
It's really funny how completelly different europeans and americans work.(*) As far as I understand americans have more trouble spending money on gaming. They rent, borrow and need backward compatibillity. europeans, the ones I know that is, only have new games, don't borrow that much and to be honest, I think that now the backward compatibillity won't work either anymore.
And then europeans pay more than americans per game, download or console as well. :(

* Notice that I base this only on a small percentage of gamers so these statistics can be way off :p

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
it has just the right amount of disc space.

This must be the first time I hear of such a thing :eek:
How can a stable amount of space ever be sufficient for a growing online database?

I mean, I started with the 20 Gb disc, I moved up to the 120 Gb disc and I am allready bothered that the 360 hasn't got any larger discs..