• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, 'killed by hunter' in Zimbabwe

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Two years after Cecil the lion was killed by a trophy-hunter in Zimbabwe, prompting global outrage, his son may have met a similar sad end.

Xanda, a six-year-old lion with several young cubs, was reportedly shot on a trophy hunt.

He is said to have died outside the Hwange National Park in northern Zimbabwe.

The lion had been fitted with an electronic tracking collar by Oxford University researchers.
Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, 'killed by hunter' in Zimbabwe - BBC News

I really hate trophy hunters. :mad:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wish misery, agony, and endless torment upon this waste of flesh. "Oh, wow, you killed a mighty and powerful predator....from a safe distance and with a gun." Goddamned pussies need to let the animals have a fair fight against them. Of course there is no such thing with a human against a lion, but oh well. Let the lion tear to shreds these "trophy hunters," the true scum of the earth.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish misery, agony, and endless torment upon this waste of flesh. "Oh, wow, you killed a mighty and powerful predator....from a safe distance and with a gun." Goddamned pussies need to let the animals have a fair fight against them. Of course there is no such thing with a human against a lion, but oh well. Let the lion tear to shreds these "trophy hunters," the true scum of the earth.

Like when bulls gore matadors. Love it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Gonna be real for a sec (and a bit devil's advocacy) and say that trophy hunters pay way more into conservation, game wardens, breeding programs and reserves than anyone else. I don't have to like trophy hunters, or the activity, but I do recognize that until people realize that moral outrage isn't spendable currency. Hunter expenses on licenses, travel expenses, tags, guides, access to reserves and fees for big game goes directly to communities living with lions, game wardens, et all. It actively discourages poaching, and encourages community involvement to protect big game as an asset. Right now wild lion's best chance of survival is at least in part dependent on trophy hunting. So what's worse for the one is better for the many.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Gonna be real for a sec (and a bit devil's advocacy) and say that trophy hunters pay way more into conservation, game wardens, breeding programs and reserves than anyone else. I don't have to like trophy hunters, or the activity, but I do recognize that until people realize that moral outrage isn't spendable currency. Hunter expenses on licenses, travel expenses, tags, guides, access to reserves and fees for big game goes directly to communities living with lions, game wardens, et all. It actively discourages poaching, and encourages community involvement to protect big game as an asset. Right now wild lion's best chance of survival is at least in part dependent on trophy hunting. So what's worse for the one is better for the many.
And we're saying that the whole system is sick.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And we're saying that the whole system is sick.
I know, I wish I could convince more people to care about animals with more than their mouths (or keyboards). Then the system wouldn't be necessary.

I also wish people would care as much about sharks as lions, but that's another thread.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I know, I wish I could convince more people to care about animals with more than their mouths (or keyboards). Then the system wouldn't be necessary.

I also wish people would care as much about sharks as lions, but that's another thread.
I care deeply about animals. But I'm powerless to change the system. I can't even change my own life. Most people are powerless in this world.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I care deeply about animals. But I'm powerless to change the system. I can't even change my own life. Most people are powerless in this world.
Most people should probably not be asking trophy hunters to stop then, or wish upon them all sorts of violence, if they can't come up with a realistic alternative way to keep things going. Douchebros or not, those trophy hunters are making more meaningful impact on lion conservation than we are over here.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Most people should probably not be asking trophy hunters to stop then, or wish upon them all sorts of violence, if they can't come up with a realistic alternative way to keep things going. Douchebros or not, those trophy hunters are making more meaningful impact on lion conservation than we are over here.
Then **** this world.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
And then we have the "animal rights activists", aka SJW nutjobs that raided a mink farm in MN and released 10s of thousands of minks into the environment. Thousands were found dead and dying of dehydration and starvation. Not to mention those that did survive for a while by raiding and decimating chicken farms.

People were praising them for giving the minks a taste of freedom. These minks are hundreds of generations removed from their wild ancestors and cannot fend for themselves.

I am no fan of fur farms or factory farming animals of any kind, but at least in the farm the minks were well cared for and safe for whatever time they had.

Sometimes I think the wrong animals are in cages. :mad:

Activists Release 30,000 to 40,000 Mink in Minnesota; Thousands Later Found Dead From Heat, Dehydration

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Then **** this world.
There's the spirit. Not a good compromise unless everyone's mad.

But look on the bright side, while we're stuck being powerless over here to change the situation in Africa, the history of this same kind of thing has been positive in the past, even if we don't like how we got to it. It was largely due to trophy hunters who brought back the American alligator. It was largely due to hunters hunting elk and sometimes bears, cougars, etc, that funded the Yellowstone wolf rehabilitation. Fish and game, through fishermen and hunters, is a reliable way to give a future to endangered species a fighting chance. We absolutely should use that.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There's the spirit. Not a good compromise unless everyone's mad.

But look on the bright side, while we're stuck being powerless over here to change the situation in Africa, the history of this same kind of thing has been positive in the past, even if we don't like how we got to it. It was largely due to trophy hunters who brought back the American alligator. It was largely due to hunters hunting elk and sometimes bears, cougars, etc, that funded the Yellowstone wolf rehabilitation. Fish and game, through fishermen and hunters, is a reliable way to give a future to endangered species a fighting chance. We absolutely should use that.
I'm in a bad mood, sorry.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Two years after Cecil the lion was killed by a trophy-hunter in Zimbabwe, prompting global outrage, his son may have met a similar sad end.

Xanda, a six-year-old lion with several young cubs, was reportedly shot on a trophy hunt.

He is said to have died outside the Hwange National Park in northern Zimbabwe.

The lion had been fitted with an electronic tracking collar by Oxford University researchers.
Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, 'killed by hunter' in Zimbabwe - BBC News

I really hate trophy hunters. :mad:

Uhhh...male lions do not have cubs. They also will tend to kill the cubs rather than have them become competitors. Maybe you could start a movement to make the male lion more sensitive. Anyway, maybe this particular lion's death was not in vain. I'm sure he made a fine rug in front of someone's fire place.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Gonna be real for a sec (and a bit devil's advocacy) and say that trophy hunters pay way more into conservation, game wardens, breeding programs and reserves than anyone else.
I'd be surprised if he pays more than what people around here do combined. Not that our prices are high, but everyone here either fishes and/or hunts. Many, many, many are against trophy hunting.
I don't have to like trophy hunters, or the activity, but I do recognize that until people realize that moral outrage isn't spendable currency.
There is hunting, which I fully support, and then trophy hunting, which is not killing for need. It's a despicable and disgusting act, and pointing to the money these savages contribute is no different than pointing to how factory farming has a good impact on the economy or the small time pot dealers who sell Mexican cartel weed to pay bills and get some gas and cigarettes.
I agree on this. Sharks are such fascinating creatures, and probably wickedly far more intelligent than we're giving them credit.
Hunter expenses on licenses, travel expenses, tags, guides, access to reserves and fees for big game goes directly to communities living with lions, game wardens, et all. It actively discourages poaching, and encourages community involvement to protect big game as an asset.
This is just worth repeating. Even local hunters help support the DNR and other environmental programs through their licenses and other purchases, and a beautiful fishing lake brings in crowds on summer holiday weekends. It's also something that can supply a large and relatively cheap source of food for a family. And people can say what they want, but a leather coat will last you forever, meaning you're done buying coats and not ever having to buy another unless you or something tragic befalls the coat.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Uhhh...male lions do not have cubs. They also will tend to kill the cubs rather than have them become competitors.

Actually they do. Male lions are very protective of their cubs. They kill the cubs of other males if they can take over a pride, but they will defend the cubs they father. They also defend the cubs of another male in the pride. Often a large pride will have more than one adult male, usually brothers, protecting the pride and fathering cubs. Lions are very cooperative.

Xanda could very well have been tagged as Cecil's cub, now grown. Sub-adult males are driven out of the pride by males and females and form bachelor groups until they form their own pride. It's the sub-adults that invade and try to take over a pride, drive out the dominant male, and kill his cubs to bring the lioness(es) into heat. Then they father a new generation. Depending on the age of the erstwhile dominant male, the youngsters may succeed, or not. It's savage but fascinating.

Btw, housecats' behavior is identical. A tom will kill the kittens of another tom and breed with the female (queen). But he will fiercely defend his own kittens. Different genera and species of the big and little cats, but their behaviors and physiology are virtually identical.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There is hunting, which I fully support, and then trophy hunting, which is not killing for need. It's a despicable and disgusting act,

Do you know of the trophy hunter who almost went to jail in Canuckistan? He had a paid professional Inuit guide to help him hunt polar bears. I remember watching this on Nat Geo (or some such channel). He was proud of his "victory". Personally, I think he should have been skinned, stuffed and mounted. Here's the blurb from Wiki. Grizzly–polar bear hybrid - Wikipedia

2006 discovery
Jim Martell, a hunter from Idaho, found and shot a grizzly–polar bear hybrid near Sachs Harbour on Banks Island, Northwest Territoriesreportedly on 16 April 2006.[1][3]Martell had been hunting for polar bears with an official license and a guide, at a cost of $45,450,[8]and killed the animal believing it to be a normal polar bear. Officials took interest in the creature after noticing that while it had thick, creamy white fur typical of polar bears, it also had long claws, a humped back, a shallow face, and brown patches around its eyes, nose, back, and foot, which are all traits of grizzly bears. If the bear had been adjudicated to be a grizzly, the hunter would have faced a possible CAN$1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.[9]