• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing your own?

Has anyone ever wrote their own myths/folktales or considered doing so?

The idea came to me more as a creative writing exercise, but then I realized it could also be used spiritually. I've come across a person who not only had their own personal deities, but also personal myths as well (so basically their own personal unique path).

The first myth I decided to write (I'm not finished) was a basic one about the seasons. I plan on writing more about the stars, sun, moon, earth, etc -- basic stuff. It's pretty fun.

And there are people who write fanfiction for traditional myths as well, here's some from fanfiction.net's section: Greek Mythology and some more on another site: Mythology. So that's another option.

:)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, I'm a fan from way back of FF.net. (Although I've never written mythology fic- I'm too boring, that way.)

This is a really interesting topic, Lux! (I forgot to ask, is it okay to call you that?) It might help me in trying to create an example of male divinity that would fit in with what I'm looking for!

Feathers in Hair said:
Hehee, I'm a fan from way back of FF.net. (Although I've never written mythology fic- I'm too boring, that way.)
This is a really interesting topic, Lux! (I forgot to ask, is it okay to call you that?) It might help me in trying to create an example of male divinity that would fit in with what I'm looking for!

Sure, feel free to call me Lux, I don't mind. :)
FF.net is pretty cool. I used to write for some TV shows long ago, but I deleted that one account.

:yes: I think writing your own myth about a male divinity would be helpful. It's amazing what is locked in our subconscious. Meditation or something like that before hand might be helpful too. And if it doesn't help, just look at it as an intersting creative experience.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
For an Approaches to Literature class, I wrote a mythology about one of the Biology professors at my college. You see, he had this habit of not wearing a coat during the winter. Instead, he just layered flannel shirts. So, my mythology dealt with the origin of seasons based on his layering of flannel.

I must still have that floating around on my hard drive somewhere...

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I have written a few , usually borrowing heavily upon real mythos , for role playing games . It is an interesting look at human nature , or the way I see human nature at least . :)

Ody

I have... however it all takes place basically in a different planet at least, so It can't really be like mythology in general :p

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Isn't this kind of like writing new chapters for the bible?

I think it's more like making up your own story instead of adding onto that one.

Such as:

7 billion years ago, there lived a giant celestial dragon. Each of the stars was one of the dragon's scales. One day, he had a cold, so he sneezed the biggest sneeze anything has ever sneezed... snozed? This firey sneeze created the sun. The dragon noticed that this sun he had created was very warm and nice. He thought it would be very wonderful if he could share it with other creatures.

So he took a big ball of dirt and set it near the sun and gave it a push so that it started to orbit the ball of fire. Then he invited tiny aliens from distant galaxies to settle on this new planet, and the aliens arrived and settled there. These aliens were the first creatures on earth.

and so on...

I think it's more like making up your own story instead of adding onto that one.

Such as:

7 billion years ago, there lived a giant celestial dragon. Each of the stars was one of the dragon's scales. One day, he had a cold, so he sneezed the biggest sneeze anything has ever sneezed... snozed? This firey sneeze created the sun. The dragon noticed that this sun he had created was very warm and nice. He thought it would be very wonderful if he could share it with other creatures.

So he took a big ball of dirt and set it near the sun and gave it a push so that it started to orbit the ball of fire. Then he invited tiny aliens from distant galaxies to settle on this new planet, and the aliens arrived and settled there. These aliens were the first creatures on earth.

and so on...

Does this mean there is a new installment of '' Hannahs, Mo' better Bible'' on the way :clap :)

Yes Man

Premium Member
I haven't written anything down. I've got a kind of fantasy series in my head, I wanted to write when I was younger. I had it planned out that when I started the main series, I would start a sort of epic prequel mythology series. For now, it stays in my head. :)

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I would have thought the bible and koran are both master piece examples of mythical fiction.

So I agree it is human nature to continually write this type of fantasy.

Cheers

DadBurnett

Instigator
Has anyone ever wrote their own myths/folktales or considered doing so?

The idea came to me more as a creative writing exercise, but then I realized it could also be used spiritually. I've come across a person who not only had their own personal deities, but also personal myths as well (so basically their own personal unique path).

The first myth I decided to write (I'm not finished) was a basic one about the seasons. I plan on writing more about the stars, sun, moon, earth, etc -- basic stuff. It's pretty fun.

And there are people who write fanfiction for traditional myths as well, here's some from fanfiction.net's section: Greek Mythology and some more on another site: Mythology. So that's another option.
:)

I wonder it it is even possible to write/create a myth???
Definition, from wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
"a traditional story accepted as history; serves to explain the world view of a people"
How could a newly created story be accepted as history? Other definitions speak of a myth beinbg handed down from generation to generation ...
Nevertheless, I like your idea and think it would be a good writing exercise. And, after all, mythis had to have there start somewhere ... you success will be evidenced by others accepting what you write as having some validity, being worth repeating. I think the initial creation, at best, would (could perhaps) be come the stuff of urban legend.
Hey! Go for it! Let your imagination run amok ...

DadBurnett

Instigator
I haven't written anything down. I've got a kind of fantasy series in my head, I wanted to write when I was younger. I had it planned out that when I started the main series, I would start a sort of epic prequel mythology series. For now, it stays in my head. :)
Food for further thought ...
I wonder, what the value of thoughts held captive in one's head???
What's keeping you from beginning the process of giving birth to your fantasy series?

blackout

Violet.
I view my whole life as a mythology/my'thology.

It is my story, and I write it each and every day
as I envision it, cast it, set it, live it out, and give it meaning.

Yes Man

Premium Member
Food for further thought ...
I wonder, what the value of thoughts held captive in one's head???
What's keeping you from beginning the process of giving birth to your fantasy series?
Meh. I'm a pretty talented procrastinator, but perhaps I will start writing soon.

Metalic Wings

What a great idea. I think the best way to find out is just to do it. It's like making up a bedtime story for kids, or telling a kid that the stork is bringing their new baby brother.

Personally, I think it'd be fun (depending on how literally you would want to take it)

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Yep he is my mythology in a nutshell

Verse 1

Each life is like a ribbon in the wind with a start and a tail.
That which is written on each thread is precious.
For some it ends too soon, while others use smaller writing.

Verse 2
Paradise is the legacy you leave your children, when you finally join the field of ribbons waving like wheat in the wind.

Verse 3
After 40 days alone in the desert wilderness of arid Central Australia, Mulga Bill was on top of Ayers Rock meditating about the Rainbow Serpent,
some bruddas were burning the bushes. Suddenly the sun was blotted out by a huge beautiful Lubra standing over him.
Saying

"You white fellas come here and leave you're cigarette butts and and stubbies lying all about,
so go back and tell 'em to stop littering, or I'll come down and sit on 'em."

"No probs" he said, sincerely "I'll let 'em know to clean up their act. I promise."

She smiled, then bent down and whispered these pearls of wisdom in his ear.

Verse 4
If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
And some man made the Birqa, also an excellent alternative to sun screen.

Verse 5
Now to get on with all of your bruddas, just follow these simple rulz:
Party with your bruddas as you would have them party with you.
Respect your elders, they have wisdom you have yet to find.
Respect your children, they are your future.
Respect your land, it feeds and nurtures you.
Read as many message sticks as you can, they will broaden your knowledge and wisdom.
Do not be led astray by the evil false prophets, based on only one message stick.
I know this to be true because I am alive and they are all dead.
Do not fear death, you will have eternal life through your children.
The universe is a beautiful place, admire and enjoy it.
Take charge of your life. Think for yourself.
Eat Kangaroo, fish and veggies - Lubra's food for long life."

This is all truth, so it is perfect as only truth can be perfect,
and therefore it must qualify.
QED.

Cheers

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
I wonder it it is even possible to write/create a myth???
Definition, from wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
"a traditional story accepted as history; serves to explain the world view of a people"
How could a newly created story be accepted as history? Other definitions speak of a myth beinbg handed down from generation to generation ...
Nevertheless, I like your idea and think it would be a good writing exercise. And, after all, mythis had to have there start somewhere ... you success will be evidenced by others accepting what you write as having some validity, being worth repeating. I think the initial creation, at best, would (could perhaps) be come the stuff of urban legend.
Hey! Go for it! Let your imagination run amok ...

This. Myth is also decribed as "a widely held but false notion". and it's not folklore if there are no folk to believe it - folklore are the beliefs/myths held by a specific group of people.

So in either sense, writing a fictious story - whether it is about origins/beliefs/whatever - is not in any way creating a myth. It is what is it is - a creative story. Fanfiction based on myths isn't considered to by myth itself, but exactly what it claims to be - fanfiction.

That being said coming up with story ideas that are mythical in nature is a lot of fun! I especially like creation stories or ones that explain "why things are the way they are". It's amazing what people can come up with when you let your imagination run wild!

I think whereismynotecard's dragon-sneeze idea is awesome!

MissDiscerner

Eternal student
Writing my own mythological story? Good idea! :yes: But I would be always searching in name generators in order to have good ideas for my gods and goddesses' names! My imagination is in a very low level... But it is an excellent idea!

Last edited: