• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wow...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
What happened definitely had no need; however, at the same time, it is understandable to a point. What I mean by that is that the country is falling into a period of chaos. These actions are horrible, but we should not let them distort any idea of the country, or their people. When a country does fall into this sort of turmoil, there are unlawful acts that follow. That should not define the country though.

waitasec

Veteran Member
What happened definitely had no need; however, at the same time, it is understandable to a point. What I mean by that is that the country is falling into a period of chaos. These actions are horrible, but we should not let them distort any idea of the country, or their people. When a country does fall into this sort of turmoil, there are unlawful acts that follow. That should not define the country though.

i just don't understand the mentality that if an unmarried girl is not a virgin then her voice doesn't count...
it's barbaric....

notice they didn't find any virgins thereby undermining their collective voices by
implying that the voice of the people are corrupted and shouldn't be acknowledged...

looks like desperation

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's so nice to see democracy taking hold in Egypt, isn't it? It's so wonderful that the people have found their voice. What could go wrong?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
i just don't understand the mentality that if an unmarried girl is not a virgin then her voice doesn't count...
it's barbaric....

notice they didn't find any virgins thereby undermining their collective voices by
implying that the voice of the people are corrupted and shouldn't be acknowledged...

looks like desperation
I agree that the act was barbaric. However, that is something that happens in turmoil. I'm not trying to defend it, but I also don't think that it should influence how one sees Egypt (not saying that it did with you).

Rakhel

Just to add to the craziness...
A would-be teen beauty queen was stoned to death after her participation in a Ukranian pageant reportedly infuriated local Muslim youths.
Katya Koren, 19, was targeted by three fellow teens who said her seventh-place finish in the beauty contest was a violation of Muslim laws, according to British newspaper reports.
One of the suspects, identified as 16-year-old Bihal Gaziev, told authorities that he had no regrets about the stoning because the dark-haired Koren "violated the laws of Sharia."
She also happens to be Muslim.

This is getting depressing.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Lessee....

We want to make sure none of these women can claim to have been raped while in custody, so we will subject them to a procedure as closely akin to rape as we can devise without actually raping them..........

I don't get it - what was the point again?

Rakhel

From Wiki
Virginity test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The process of virginity testing varies by region. In areas where medical doctors are readily available, such as Turkey before the country banned the practice, the tests will often be given in a doctor's office.[2] However, in countries where doctors are not available, testers will often be older, respectable women, or whoever can be trusted to search for a hymen.[4] This is common among African tribes that perform the test.
In virginity tests, the presence of a hymen is often used to determine if a woman is a virgin. Another form of virginity tests involves testing for laxity of vaginal muscles with fingers (the "two-finger test"). A doctor performs the test by inserting a finger into the victim's vagina to check the level of vaginal laxity, which is used to determine if she is "habituated to sexual intercourse."[11] However, the usefulness of these criteria has been questioned by medical authorities and opponents of virginity testing because vaginal laxity and the absence of a hymen can both be caused by other factors, and the "two finger test" is based on subjective observation.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What does this had to do with religion?

An excellent question regarding many practices performed in the name of religion. Then again, religion is basically nothing more than the collection of cultural practices performed by those who identify with any particular religion. Although, it is quite convenient to be able to discount such things when they may not fall under particular interpretations of religious teachings.

Sahar

An excellent question regarding many practices performed in the name of religion.
What practices are performed in the name of religion in this article? Did you read the article? Did you follow the news coming from Egypt in the last few months? There was a revolution that changed the entire political scene in Egypt. The protesters were faced with tear gas, rubber and live bullets by the security forces. Many of them were arrested, detained and beaten (including my own brother). The ousted regime hired thugs who attacked the protesters with molotov cocktails, knives, etc. The military forced Mubarak to leave and protected the revolution. The military is administering the affairs of the country now until the next elections.

Some protesters males and female were insulted, beaten and electrically shocked in the Egyptian museum by some soldiers. If the females were really called "prostitutes" then I know that the detained guys then were called traitors. I have no doubt that there are some members of the military that are connected with the past regime and the state security who worked very hard to fight the revolution and its fruits.

The military police clashed with the protesters in a few occasions, after one of them the Egyptian supreme council of the armed forces apologized.

What we actually ask from the higher council of the armed forces is transparency. These allegations of torture by the soldiers must be investigated and who are proved to be involved, must get what they deserve.

Just these days, there was a citizen who died from torture by the police. Revolution doesn't change things between a day and a night but the nation will face many obstacles on the way to democracy and prosperity. The police who used to torture won't suddenly change but there should be the political will to take steps in the long way of change.

So Egypt now is facing a lot of problems, mostly because of the disastrous situation created by the past regime and the rest is due to the state of chaos, and fixing these problems is a long way and we achieved very positive things in these few months.

Remind me again what practices performed in the name of religion in these incidents of degradation and torture?

Last edited: