• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

how did I know you were going to say this ;)

Hehehe. Because you know me better than most here. Anyways, this is totally random, but I have a Nepali folk song you might enjoy. I have no idea what the lyrics are but the flute and the beat are very soothing. It is something you might like. Please check it out:

[youtube]pxckvkOhqFc[/youtube]
Super Hit New Nepali Teej Song 2069 {He Piyari}By Khuman Adhikari & Ramila Neupane - YouTube

yes this is true , but it is also true that for one to make such sacrifices one must be very pure in ones devotion , the preists in previous yugas were much purer than is possible in kail yuga . at one time the horse sacrifice was deemed the higest sacrifice , but it is not recomended for this yuga due to the impurity of our minds .
it is also true , that an animal killed in the correct way by a pure being is imidiately liberated ,

Bhaginī-ji, that was my point exactly. I repeatedly stressed the fact in my previous posts that in those ancient days, it was allowed and it was an obvious occurrence because it was completely a different era. My concern was to address the falsity of certain Hindus that believe that no sanctified animal sacrifices ever occurred in the history of Hinduism.

but who in this age is that pure ?

'Tis, I, son of Lords Mitra and Varuna, who is! :D "For what harm can Ishtāśva, Ishtaraśmir, or any other prince do to I who enjoy the protection [of Shri Mitra-Varuna]?!" (R.V.1.122.13) :D :D :p

what you say also is very true , that in some parts animal sacrifices have still continued up to this day . .... but in most traditions this has not been continued for reasons given above . to sacrifice an animal one must have the putrity of mind to sacrifice directly to the supreme as a part of ones dharma and with no other attatchment (not even wishing for any result) , this is very difficult in this age .

I agree, not completely, but agree, nonetheless.

I liked very much what was shown in the video you posted earlier , the preist explained that they had decided not to sacrifice a living animal and made clay representations instead . :namaste

Now, here is the thing, and bare with me, por favor. The Nambudiri's have been gifted secret purificatory rituals from the days of Lord Shri Parshuram. They have the knowledge on how to properly offer sanctified meat offerings through their conduction of the Yagams that they do. But, the reason that they didn't opt to offering a real, "living" sacrifice was because Indian "secularists" complained a whole lot.
These "secularists" are from the very corrupt Congress Party and have no problem when Muslims slaughter thousands upon thousands of goats during/after Eid, nor when both Christians and Muslims consume beef throughout India. In fact, these "secularists" encourage them and have even been responsible for picking up "stray" cows on roads and transporting them to slaughter houses.
But, as soon as they heard that Hindus were going to sacrifice two to three goats properly and ritualistically with all safe measurements involved, they went bonkers and filed FIRs and lodged complaints. Very hypocritical if you ask me. But, the Nambudiris didn't mind, and complied and opted instead for constructed representatives of goats to offer during the conclusion of their Yagams (Yagyas).

M.V.

Last edited:

Maya3

Wouldn´t we get really sick, if we suddenly started eating meat after being vegetarian for so long?

I don´t know what my body would do with meat. It has not had it for a very long time.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Wouldn´t we get really sick, if we suddenly started eating meat after being vegetarian for so long?

I don´t know what my body would do with meat. It has not had it for a very long time.

Maya

I think it probably depends on the individual, but yes I have gotten sick. It was only 3 years or so into vegetarianism too. Unfortunately, not too many long term vegetarians are going to volunteer for this medical trial. :)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram:namaste
मैत्रावरुणिः;3438938 said:
Namaste,

Hehehe. Because you know me better than most here. Anyways, this is totally random, but I have a Nepali folk song you might enjoy. I have no idea what the lyrics are but the flute and the beat are very soothing. It is something you might like. Please check it out:

[youtube]pxckvkOhqFc[/youtube]
Super Hit New Nepali Teej Song 2069 {He Piyari}By Khuman Adhikari & Ramila Neupane - YouTube
a litle about teej courtesy of wicki ...
Teej in Nepal

Nepalese Women dancing in Teej

The first day of Teej is called Dar Khane Din. On this day the women, married and unmarried, mainly of Khas ethnicity, assemble at one place, in their finest attire and start dancing and singing devotional songs. Amidst all this, the grand feast takes place. The jollity often goes on till midnight, after which the 24hour fast starts.
The second day is the fasting day. Some women live without a morsel of food and drops of water while others take liquid and fruit. On this day, they gaily dress and visit a nearby Shiva temple singing and dancing on the way. The Pashupatinath Temple gets the highest number of devotees. At the Shiva temple, women circumambulate the Shiva Linga, the symbol of the lord, offering flowers, sweets and coins. The main puja (religious ceremony) takes place with offerings of flowers, fruits, etc., made to Shiva and Parvati, beseeching them to grant their blessing upon the husband and family. The important part of the puja is the oil lamp which should be alight throughout the night.
The third day of the festival is Rishi Panchami. After the completion of the previous day's puja, women pay homage to various deities and bathe with red mud found on the roots of the sacred datiwan bush, along with its leaves. This act of purification is the final ritual of Teej, after which women are considered absolved from all their sins. The recent years have witnessed an alteration in the rituals, especially concerning the severity, but its essence remains the same.
Teej is celebrated just before the first day of Ganesh Chaturthi. Women do 24-hour nirjala fasting (without water or fruit) for the wellness of their spouse and their married life and unmarried would be praying to get a nice husband.

replys to serious stuff tomorow as I am tired this evening :sleep:

I

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
replys to serious stuff tomorow as I am tired this evening :sleep:

I

Namaste,

Thanks for the info about Teej. Also, you have two posts to reply to, hehehe. Sike, no problem. As long as you read them, I am a-okay, sistahh! Goodnight, homie!

M.V.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
amaste

Someone mentioned earlier that honey has animal by-products in it.

Is that true?

I brought back a big jar of buckwheat honey from Canada. And I purchase local honey from an open market where I live in US. These typically are small "backyard" beekeepers and local honey.

Om Namah Sivaya

Maija

I'm sorry, but I really disagree with you. Not to be argumentative, but my avoidance is ALL meat, not just mother cow. Fish and eggs too. Don't get me wrong, I respect Mother Cow immensely but watching goats, chickens and lambs make their way to the slaughterhouse is no better. If one animal suffers they all do. I'm not selective about my avoidance of flesh. Here is the Tirukkural chapter on it.

https://sites.google.com/site/thirukurals/higher-virtue-based-on-grace/abstaining-from-eating-meat

But you still drink milk, right?

I usually go through periods of time avoiding straight eggs, but will eat baked goods at times that contain them. And I eat cheese and drink milk, not excessively due to sinus and allergy problems. I prefer almond milk.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
amaste

Is that true?

I brought back a big jar of buckwheat honey from Canada. And I purchase local honey from an open market where I live in US. These typically are small "backyard" beekeepers and local honey.

Om Namah Sivaya

Brother,

Let's just stop eating everything. And go Jainic Vanvās on stuff.

M.V.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
amaste

Is that true?

Om Namah Sivaya

Honey is an animal by-product. Honey is basically bee vomit. Yes, really. The way birds eat and regurgitate liquid to feed their chicks, bees ingest flower nectar and regurgitate it as honey to feed their larvae. Vegans don't use honey because it exploits bees, even though harvesting it from a hive doesn't harm the bees in any way.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Eat beef or any other type of meat (if you are full vegetarian)if it were cloned? Cloned meat has become a bit of a big story for a while. Peta supports the idea, now I want to know what you guy all think.

It isn't unethical as far as I know but I personally would not eat it.

I don't think of blood, bone and flesh as food. I find the idea of eating any sort of meat just as appalling as the idea of chewing off my own arm. So no, I would not eat lab grown meat.

Kalidas

I agree with jainariyan on this. I wouldn't say no because of it "being meat" but because its "laboratory made meat". Yet it does not lead to animal harm (I guess the initial shot to draw the blood?) but will lead to countless lives being saved, I can not exactly say no to that. I may not eat it but if someone MUST eat meat I honestly think I would prefer they eat that cloned meat to be honest. But yes the idea of it being genetically generated (not modified but entirely generated) does worry me.

About Kali Maa and worship and animal sacrifice. I worship Kali Maa and can honestly say the idea of animal sacrifice sounds horrible to me and even I would not do it. I think Mother Kali would forgive me.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste
Honey is an animal by-product. Honey is basically bee vomit. Yes, really. The way birds eat and regurgitate liquid to feed their chicks, bees ingest flower nectar and regurgitate it as honey to feed their larvae. Vegans don't use honey because it exploits bees, even though harvesting it from a hive doesn't harm the bees in any way.

jai jai , the common vegan veiw is that it takes the food away from the infant bees , .....bees collect nectar and produce honey to feed their young commercial bee keepers take this and give the bees sugar water , .... this is theft , and leaves the bees with substandard food for their young .

much like my issues with the dairy industry , ..,if we took only what was surplus after the mother had fed her young then that would be fine , but the comercial milk and honey industrys are too greedy they take it all , ...if they canot be trusted to behave ethicaly then it is adharmic for me to take their products .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
mamaskaram maitra varuni ji :namaste

ok now to some serious answers , .....
मैत्रावरुणिः;3438938 said:
Namaste,

Bhaginī-ji, that was my point exactly. I repeatedly stressed the fact in my previous posts that in those ancient days, it was allowed and it was an obvious occurrence because it was completely a different era. My concern was to address the falsity of certain Hindus that believe that no sanctified animal sacrifices ever occurred in the history of Hinduism.

no hindu can claim that animal sacrifices were not done at some point the 'Ashvamedha' (horse sacrifice) is documented in both the Mahabarata and the Ramayana , but in my veiw the purity of mind needed for such sacrifices is not possible now in kali yuga .

'Tis, I, son of Lords Mitra and Varuna, who is! :D "For what harm can Ishtāśva, Ishtaraśmir, or any other prince do to I who enjoy the protection [of Shri Mitra-Varuna]?!" (R.V.1.122.13) :D :p
yes also rigveda sanctions this practice , but considering the weakness of the human mind in kali yuga , is this still aplicable ? some think yes , some think not , I am a not ....I am happy to go with krsnas instruction as suitable for kali yuga , ...''offer me with love a fruit , a leaf , a flower , ...and I will accept ''. ch ...9 v ...26 Bhagavad Gita

this I consider to be our yuga dharma , this is for me , if another takes another authority then that is fine , but for me that is my yuga dharma :namaste

I agree, not completely, but agree, nonetheless.
that is fine I am sure neiter you or I expect to agree completely but hopefully we learn and accept , this is fine :namaste

Now, here is the thing, and bare with me, por favor. The Nambudiri's have been gifted secret purificatory rituals from the days of Lord Shri Parshuram. They have the knowledge on how to properly offer sanctified meat offerings through their conduction of the Yagams that they do. But, the reason that they didn't opt to offering a real, "living" sacrifice was because Indian "secularists" complained a whole lot.
These "secularists" are from the very corrupt Congress Party and have no problem when Muslims slaughter thousands upon thousands of goats during/after Eid, nor when both Christians and Muslims consume beef throughout India. In fact, these "secularists" encourage them and have even been responsible for picking up "stray" cows on roads and transporting them to slaughter houses.
But, as soon as they heard that Hindus were going to sacrifice two to three goats properly and ritualistically with all safe measurements involved, they went bonkers and filed FIRs and lodged complaints. Very hypocritical if you ask me. But, the Nambudiris didn't mind, and complied and opted instead for constructed representatives of goats to offer during the conclusion of their Yagams (Yagyas).

M.V.

I see your point eactly , ...so I also agree with the decission of the Nambudiri preists , to make representations was a wise decission :namaste

please do not speak to me about the hypocracy of other faiths , I think we will both become angry , I live amongst christians who give up chocolate biscuts for lent and think them selves pious , but regularly they commit murder and drink them selves stupid , then call me a haethen and an idolator .....best thing I can do is egnore their ignorant rantings and pray for their souls .....

I had one poor soul telling me how difficult it was to keep lent fasts , when to my mind they have given up so little for such a short space of time , ... my mind is quietly saying to itself , so if you do this in order to feel closer to god ? then why dont you do it all of the time ? did you not enjoy feeling closer to god ? ... but I do not say this out loud , just think that it is good that I beleive in re incarnation prehaps in subsequent lives they will grow slowly closser to god .....some christian monks are vegetarian , jai jai to vegetarian christians :D

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste, Bhaginī-ji:

yes also rigveda sanctions this practice , but considering the weakness of the human mind in kali yuga , is this still aplicable ? some think yes , some think not , I am a not ....I am happy to go with krsnas instruction as suitable for kali yuga , ...''offer me with love a fruit , a leaf , a flower , ...and I will accept ''. ch ...9 v ...26 Bhagavad Gita

That quote wasn't about sacrificing. It was just me being goofy and saying that I can sacrifice because I have Their protection - it was just a joke hehehe. The quote had nothing to do with yagyas involving sacrifices though. I didn't mean to give off that impression. My b.

I had one poor soul telling me how difficult it was to keep lent fasts , when to my mind they have given up so little for such a short space of time

Favoritism, centricity, superiority complexes, and exclusivity plagues those without dharma.

M.V.

Last edited:

En'me

RightBehindEveryoneElse

Maya

Eating meat after being vegetarian for 10 years gave me stomach cramps and diarrhea after 6 hours of eating 200 grams of lean chicken breast (twice in a row).

Nothing particular would happen to you. If you started with fish, which are easier to digest and then went on to small amounts of white (land) mean once per day for a couple of days and then gradually increased the amount, you'd be probably be fine.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But you still drink milk, right?

I usually go through periods of time avoiding straight eggs, but will eat baked goods at times that contain them. And I eat cheese and drink milk, not excessively due to sinus and allergy problems. I prefer almond milk.

Lacto-vegetarianism is generally the Hindu vegetarian way. Yes, I drink milk, but it's quite limited to 'in coffee. Cheese too, but not a lot. The idea was that the cow did have extra, after her calf was fed, so it's ethically sound. Same idea applies to honey.

Still, I could easily go vegan too.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
:( what is the penance for eating honey?

Lacto-vegetarianism is generally the Hindu vegetarian way. Yes, I drink milk, but it's quite limited to 'in coffee. Cheese too, but not a lot. The idea was that the cow did have extra, after her calf was fed, so it's ethically sound. Same idea applies to honey.

Still, I could easily go vegan too.

No penance for eating honey. It's not a sin. However, lacto-vegetarianism for Hindus, Jains and Buddhists is a slippery slope ultimately condoning himsā unless one lives on a dairy farm, or obtains milk from one. Even then, unless the cow past her prime and ability to produce milk is then kept as a family member or pet and allowed to live out her life naturally (we can't forget the bulls too), she's most likely shipped off to a slaughterhouse for pet food, leather and gelatin. I'm sorry to say it, but even in temple when performing abhishekam with commercial milk, yogurt and ghee made from commercial butter is contributing to the demise of gomata.

The answer, imo, is that we do the best we can in adhering to ahimsā. Especially being mindful and perhaps saying a prayer of thanks for the sacrifice gomata is making when she is raised for dairy production. The California cheese tv adverts talking about happy cows are somewhat misleading because they don't describe that those cows may become very unhappy when they stop producing milk. Of course, most people wouldn't care anyway.

What were we talking about? :confused: