• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you vote for a poor person?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Neither does Donald Trump. He simply adds to the noise.

My issue is I don't know the terms of the discussion for real discussion to occur. For example:

1. Can we give mere opinions sometimes in the debates forum? Do we need to signal we're doing such?

2. Are political debates more like presidential debates involving lots of rhetoric, or are they more about fact?

3. If I quote a certain poster and am discussing with them, do I then have to engage in debate with the other posters if I was really just talking to that particular poster and clarifying what I mean in my position before the crowd?

4. Are comments like yours suggesting one tends to support Donald Trump?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
All you do is build a set, aim a camera, and show it on TV.

The value is inflated beyond what its actually worth.

It takes a lot of crew and equipment to air an ad, but nowhere near that much. Also primetime airtime is expansive, again, not that expansive.

So it seems to me the tv companies think, 'well it's only every 4 years so we'll milk it for all we can' based on the commercial adage, the true value of something is that people are willing to pay for it

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Couple of good articles and examples of things:

https://phys.org/news/2010-08-hp-million-dollars-kickbacks-case.html

Corruption in Illinois - Wikipedia

Also, I have to apologize but I can't find the article about the intiaters of the bill getting $150,000 each but I'll continue looking for it. The claims were by an anti-vaccine organization which seemed to have connections to the government and who wanted people to sign a petition against the bill that would be sent to the state's congress and the committees which reviewed the bill. To try to prevent the bill from happening.

Don't knock yourself out over it. I'll do some hunting about too.
If you do post anything here, just tag me so I don't miss it.

And thanks!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My issue is I don't know the terms of the discussion for real discussion to occur.
The issue is that you floated a conspiracy theory without evidence. Specifically, the entire post states:
Here in Illinois we have a new bill to require children to get a vaccine to enter school and with no religious exemptions possible. While the bill may have merit, the people who initiated the bill apparently got $150,000 each to initiate it from medical sponsors.
So unnamed senators were paid by unnamed medical sponsors to put forward an unspecified bill (I suspect you were referring to SB36698.) The assertion is grossly irresponsible. That you don't see this is yet more evidence of just how easy it is to become part of the rumor mill and, thereby, part of the problem.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The issue is that you floated a conspiracy theory without evidence. Specifically, the entire post states:
So unnamed senators were paid by unnamed medical sponsors to put forward an unspecified bill (I suspect you were referring to SB36698.) The assertion is grossly irresponsible. That you don't see this is yet more evidence of just how easy it is to become part of the rumor mill and, thereby, part of the problem.

It was HB 4870 101st.

And you're right. I was buying into the rumor mill.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It was HB 4870 101st.

And you're right. I was buying into the rumor mill.
HB 4870 deals specifically with human papillomavirus (HPV). It was introduced by Representatives Robyn Gabel, Kelly M. Cassidy, and Elizabeth Hernandez. I have a passing familiarity with Cassidy and Hernandez, and my impressions have been entirely favorable.

I know Rep. Robyn Gabel somewhat better and consider her to be an outstanding public servant. The idea that she was paid $150,000 to introduce this bill strikes me as an outlandish and disgusting fabrication.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
HB 4870 deals specifically with human papillomavirus (HPV). It was introduced by Representatives Robyn Gabel, Kelly M. Cassidy, and Elizabeth Hernandez. I have a passing familiarity with Cassidy and Hernandez, and my impressions have been entirely favorable.

I know Rep. Robyn Gabel somewhat better and consider her to be an outstanding public servant. The idea that she was paid $150,000 to introduce this bill strikes me as an outlandish and disgusting fabrication.

Hmm, well in that case, I won't entertain what I read regarding the matter any further. And I'll hang my head low about believing it, I guess.