• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you support a 'crime of passion' plea?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Of course, I think it was the French who first had this (The idea of 'a crime of passion'). If you kill your wife's or husband's lover when you discover then together, the sentence is much lower than that for an 'ordinary' murder.

How do you feel about this?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I strongly disagree that "acting in passion" in any way mitigates murder or battery. In the first place, I notice that such crimes tend to be committed by people with a history of abusing their partners. In the second place, I think such crimes are based on the groundless expectation that we somehow possess or own our partners. Lastly, making exceptions for "acts done in passion" sends the message that rage makes murder and battery more socially and legally tolerable, and thus encourages people to act in rage.

If you want a monogamous partner, then look with great care at your potential mate's proclivity for monogamy, and on their ability to keep promises, but don't merely assume that s/he will be faithful simply because s/he's in a relationship with you, or even simply because s/he loves you. Neither a willingness to engage in a relationship, nor even love, guarantees someone will be monogamous. Again, a partner that must be coerced by laws, guilt, or social pressure into monogamy is likely to find ways around those things when tempted. Better to find someone who wants to be monogamous, rather than find someone you think you can train to be monogamous.

A

angellous_evangellous

michel said:
Of course, I think it was the French who first had this (The idea of 'a crime of passion'). If you kill your wife's or husband's lover when you discover then together, the sentence is much lower than that for an 'ordinary' murder.

How do you feel about this?

I've heard that some states allow you to kill your cheating spouce if you catch them in the act. I'd perfer to kill the ************ (the other guy) than my soon to be ex-wife. Knockout

Being a violent Texan, I'd support a crime of passion plea for killing either or both parties. Of course other variables would have to be considered...

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i think that more to the point, crimes of passion are not pre-meditated, which instantly reduces the sentance anyway.

is it right or wrong? no, it is still murder. but someone who has committed a crime of passion should not be treated the same as a cereal killer (serial?) because they are not the same! i don't think that makes sense, so i am going to try and explain:

the judicial system not only works to punish, to be rehabiitate. someone who committed a crime of passion will not need as much help as someone who committed pre-meditated murder. they will probably need more help coming to terms with what they have done, as appose to learning to subdue anger and control themselves.

but, obviously, saying that, not all cases are the same.

wow, i really do want to see a lot of change in the judicial system...

Fluffy

A fool
I do not believe that the justice system should be about punishment but rehabilitation.

If a person is prone to excessive anger then they should be kept in prison till they are able to control their anger so that they are no longer a danger to society.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I would not support changing the law to include a plea of 'crime of passion'. The reality is that in many place in the US, many people who commit such a crime when they 'catch their partner' in the act of infidelity are acquitted by a sympathetic jury.:eek:
Sunstone said:
...Better to find someone who wants to be monogamous...
Some people do change one way or the other over time, but for the most part, good point, and this makes too much sense for some people to figure out.:p If they ever do, the Jerry Springer Show would be out of business.