• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Marry Someone Who Denied the Value of Inner Beauty?

Would you befriend, date, or marry someone who saw no value to inner beauty?

• I would befriend such a person.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I would date such a person.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I would marry such a person.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I would not befriend such a person.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • I would not date such a person.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • I would not marry such a person.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Would you befriend, date, or marry someone who either could not or would not value inner beauty? Why or why not?

What does the phrase "inner beauty" mean to you?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I can buy a painting, or a sports car if all I want is a pretty trophy. And someone who doesn't value inner beauty is unlikely to HAVE inner beauty.

Inner beauty indicates that a person has more depth of character than a puddle, but it's every bit as subjective as outer beauty. Intelligence, kindness, sense of humour, wisdom, optimism, trustworthiness...there are so many aspects to it. Some are competitive, too. My wife's stubborness/strength is something I admire, even whilst it drives me completely batty at times.

I think that is why I value it over physical attractiveness. I would never claim not to notice and not to care about outer beauty, even when looking for a lifelong partner. But rather than comparing outer beauty versus inner as two things, inner beauty is really just an umbrella term for every aspect of a person not superficially visible.

Deidre

I don’t see myself marrying, as it’s more fun to date…and easier to end things, if it doesn’t work out that way. :eek: :p

Having said that…I wouldn’t date someone who only was with me for my outward appearance, and not my inner beauty. Or didn’t care if I even had inner beauty. The level of our inner beauty is who we really are when no one is looking.

jonathan180iq

Inner beauty varies for me... sometimes it's based on character and sometimes it's based on intelligence. Sometimes one enhances the other.

I realize it sounds quite harsh to be judging someone base on their intelligence, but I ultimately think it's no different than judging someone based on their external beauty or any other qualifier of choice.

I voted WOULD NOT, while wishing it had said COULD NOT. I've dated girls before who were basically just arm trophies - and while I quite enjoyed the arm-trophiness of them, I simply could not invest past their hollowness.

Wirey

Fartist
I married the female version of Ted Bundy, complete with nutty in-laws. If I mentioned inner beauty they might gut me like a trout to see it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sure Mrs Revolt values "inner beauty", but she has enuf social awareness to avoid using the term.

Come to think of it, we have discussed this....
innerbeauty-bottle.jpg

Wounderful stuff!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure Mrs Revolt values "inner beauty", but she has enuf social awareness to avoid using the term.

Come to think of it, we have discussed this....
innerbeauty-bottle.jpg

Wounderful stuff!

Surely that sauce would result in quite a bit of 'inner beauty' being flushed down the lavatory.

SkylarHunter

I can imagine myself getting bored to death by someone like that during the first 10 minutes of our first and only date.

Horrorble

Would you befriend, date, or marry someone who either could not or would not value inner beauty? Why or why not?

What does the phrase "inner beauty" mean to you?

I would imagine the only people who didn't value inner beauty at all would be people who are severely narcissistic. I wouldn't want anything to do with them, but I can't say for certain that someone like that wouldn't ever enter my life through manipulation.

Jumi

It would depend on their definition of inner beauty.

There are some who have a good personality and some who become good only when they take their mask off. Which of these should I consider inner beauty?