1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Would you choose to live forever?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Xavier Graham SA, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Xavier Graham SA

Xavier Graham SA God is Love, is love, is love. OM, AV KAH AHH!

Ratings:
    +508
    Religion:
    Christian
    Suppose it’s the end of the 21st century. Technology has advanced enough, to where now it is possible to never die. Human beings can artificially extend your lifespan indefinitely.
    Would you take the offer to live forever?
    I have death anxiety, but I don’t think I would. I believe in Heaven. I think I would choose to die naturally over living forever. I’m not sure though, if it ever comes down to it.
    Would accepting the offer be any different than accepting a healthy diet in order to prolong your lifespan?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,801
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    No i would not accept that offer :)
    I accept my destiny when I die, no matter where it leads me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Snow White

Snow White Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,558
    Religion:
    New follower of Wicca
    Eternity may be pretty bad if, for example, you ever got stuck in a box you couldn't get free from.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. Psalm23

Psalm23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +648
    Religion:
    Christian
    No, I wouldn’t believe the technology would be capable of extending life forever nor would I desire to live on this earth forever. There is a lot of pain and evil done in the world. Then there are things I have gone through : the grief from the loss of loved ones and the experience of fears and uncertainty to list a few.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Xavier Graham SA

Xavier Graham SA God is Love, is love, is love. OM, AV KAH AHH!

Ratings:
    +508
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thinking about that makes me want to be cremated LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Psalm23

Psalm23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +648
    Religion:
    Christian
    This thread topic reminds me of a sci-fi movie I watched where a guy before he died had his consciousness transferred to a computer. I don’t remember what it was called.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Shrugs. I tried.

Ratings:
    +12,956
    Religion:
    Animist
    No. There's too much X factors in life it'll makes me exhausted and bored.

#7 Unveiled Artist, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Truthseeker9

Truthseeker9 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    No, the promise in the Baha'i Writings is great for after death:

Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.

As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.
    (Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh)

O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.
    (Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh)

It is good though to have a healthy diet and accomplish more in this life. There will be more misery in store also if the living style is not good. Let death come when it may, without us hastening it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,147
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I do not want to live forever, either in this life or the next. Sooner or later, I would reach the limit of learning. Doing the same things over and over again would drive me insane, and the boredom would be hell.

I would, however, like to choose when to end my life.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,424
    Religion:
    atheist
    Would depend on the finer details, but sure, I'd take it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Estro Felino

Estro Felino Believer in free will
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,843
    Religion:
    Pelagianism
    Absolutely not.

• Like Like x 3
  12. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,341
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Good question. Upon considering it more deeply and being aware of my sins and shortcomings, I am reminded that not only now but for eternity I will have to live with myself. So the better person I become, the easier it will be. Then being as good and kind and virtuous in this world as one can be makes for plenty of partying in the next life but those who did the opposite here, I think they will be miserable and unhappy in the next life and they wont be able to return to undo what they did.

So at the moment I’m struggling to try and tilt the scales so that the good I do far outweighs my shortcomings before I cross over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,893
    Religion:
    Christian
    That’s the promise...Romans 6:23, “everlasting life.”

I’ve heard the argument, “I’d get bored.”
    Let me tell you... I never get bored of looking at my wife! (Except when she’s mad at me, lol.)
    Now consider this: what about your Gkids? What about their kids? What about their kids?! What about being around to meet your GGGGGGGGGGGkids?!!

I know the other argument: “If nobody died, then this Earth would get overpopulated!”
    Isaiah 35...”The wilderness and the desert will.... blossom profusely.”
    And
    Psalms 72:16, New American Standard Bible
    “May there be abundance of grain on the earth on top of the mountains.”

Think about the entirety of Australia, Sahara, Gobi, Kalahari, etc., all becoming habitable!

You mentioned technology...imagine how advanced human technology will become, when no scientists or engineers or inventors die! No beneficial information will ever be lost or forgotten! Because everyone will have perfect health! Isaiah 33:24.

These are just some* of the benefits for mankind, when God’s Kingdom “comes”, & His purpose will “be done on Earth.” Matthew 6:9-10. That’s why we are to “pray” for it.

From studying Scripture, all this IMO.

Technology and discovery will be safe, and will enable mankind to eventually travel to, terraform & populate other planets, who knows.

*I didn’t even mention the Resurrection.

Good night.

#13 Hockeycowboy, Sep 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,511
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I would never want to live forever on this earth, but perhaps that is because my life so far has been very difficult and I cannot imagine anything else better, but even if life on this earth was idyllic I don't think it could ever beat living forever in the spiritual world, or Heaven.

Given my life has been fraught with suffering, I think of the following verse often and it gives me solace.
    I have complete faith in Baha'u'llah and everything He wrote and I am very fortunate in that regard.

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.”
    Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +8,511
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I think that is what hell will be like. :( That is a good reason to try to avoid landing there.

16. Hermit Philosopher

Hermit Philosopher Selflessly here for you

Ratings:
    +566

The main issue with this is that if everyone could afford the choice and indeed chose it, society would have to limit human reproduction (very likely by force) in order to avoid overpopulation.

Alternatively, mainly the poor would die and those who could afford not to die, are likely the same people who would have no problem with purchasing designer babies.

Humbly
    Hermit

• Like Like x 2
  17. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +8,511
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Atheists say that a lot but I never figured out why they say it. I mean why would you think that we would be doing the same things over and over again in the spiritual world for all of eternity? Can't you imagine that there would be unlimited possibilities in the spiritual world? Why would you think that a spiritual world would be like a material world?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,240
    Religion:
    none
    "I don't want to live on this earth forever" is what some have answered. I agree. I want to travel space sometime in my extended lifespan.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +8,511
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    What about traveling through all the worlds of God, does that qualify?

#19 Trailblazer, Sep 6, 2021
  20. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,240
    Religion:
    none
    Nope. While I enjoy imaginary worlds recreationally, I actually like reality despite all its flaws.

• Winner Winner x 1