• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you be the first person to go to...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
...........Mars?

I was watching a History channel documentary on interplanetary colonisation and grew rather curious as to whether we actually have the technology and gumption to actually go forth with a manned mission to Mars and return to Earth.

I was wondering what such a maiden voyage of 6 months (one way) would feel like as well as the actual experience of landing on Mars and venturing out relying solely on your equipment and using the planets own resources for your very survival in way of oxygen and manufacturing the fuel to get back. One breakdown or miscalculation could mean certain death, especially when there will have to be a protracted period of time before a launch window is open to make a return trip back to Earth. An arguably harder task than arriving there.

I would guess that if you had to go to the great beyond due to some kind of failure, it would certinaly be a spectacular way to go out being on a planet that no human had ever been to, or experienced first-hand.

Supposing you were offered the best training, preparation, and equipment for the trip would you be willing to go, or would you think it would be a suicide mission at the present time?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I would get way to claustrophobic stuck inside a spacecraft for that long. Theoretically, it sounds like a grand adventure, but in reality I don't think I could hack it.