• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would the Baha'i faith be good for me?

JeremK

I had a bad experience with Christianity but still believe in it to an extent. I by no means take the Bible literally and consider it as rules for a different time. The same applies to Islam. I'm not entirely sure whether or not I believe in a god or an afterlife, but if there is an afterlife, I don't think I believe in an (eternal) hell because it seems inhumane and out of character for any deity that would be willing to create humanity. I also fully support the unification of mankind, the abolishment of racism, etc.

Does the Baha'i faith suit my viewpoints? Could I be some kind of "secular Baha'i?"

I had a bad experience with Christianity but still believe in it to an extent. I by no means take the Bible literally and consider it as rules for a different time. The same applies to Islam. I'm not entirely sure whether or not I believe in a god or an afterlife, but if there is an afterlife, I don't think I believe in an (eternal) hell because it seems inhumane and out of character for any deity that would be willing to create humanity. I also fully support the unification of mankind, the abolishment of racism, etc.

Does the Baha'i faith suit my viewpoints? Could I be some kind of "secular Baha'i?"

I considered Baha'i for a short time as well when I was losing my faith. Why I didn't adopt it was because it considers the bible one of it's supporting books, so it didn't resolve my issues with Christianity. In revelations though it says people are thrown into a lake of sulfur and die, not tortured in hell. So if that's your concern, some Christian beliefs don't believe in a hell. The Koran is considered the direct word of god and describes a hell where people are tortured, I believe the Koran is also included in Baha'i's scriptures.

arthra

Baha'i

Well JeremK...welcome to Religious Forums and to this particular forum!

Let me respond as best I can to your statements..

Baha'is generally interpret the Bible spiritually rather than word for word literally... While we do believe the Bible contains inspiration and is a Holy Book we do not believe it is always accurate.

We also believe the laws and ordinances of the Bible were for "a different time".

And yes we also believe the regulations and laws of Islam applied to a "different" time.

Baha'is believe God has sent Messengers over millennia and will continue to do so as He will not leave us alone without Divine Guidance. Baha'is believe our Spirit/Soul survives death and ascends to the spiritual worlds of God. Our purpose in this life is to acquire virtues and reflect the attributes of God. The essence of God is unknowable.

Baha'is believe the Soul can progress after the ascension from the body... with the mercy of God. Heaven is nearness to God and "hell" is remoteness from Him.

The Baha'i principles revealed by Baha'u'llah include recognizing the oneness of humanity and abolishing racial and class and religious prejudices. Further Baha'u'llah wrote the rulers of His time advocating that a representative world parliament and an international court
of arbitration be established to build the foundations of world peace. Further there should be a universal auxiliary language and universal education.

So would the Baha'i Faith "be good" for you...? My answer of course would be a resounding affirmative "yes". My recommendation would be for you to meet some Baha'is in the community nearest you so you can see how the Baha'i community functions on a local level and they can respond to your questions in person. If you reside in the United States there is a toll free number you can call and they will provide the contact information for the nearest Baha'is to you... The number is 1-800-22-UNITE.

arthra

Baha'i
I considered Baha'i for a short time as well when I was losing my faith. Why I didn't adopt it was because it considers the bible one of it's supporting books, so it didn't resolve my issues with Christianity. In revelations though it says people are thrown into a lake of sulfur and die, not tortured in hell. So if that's your concern, some Christian beliefs don't believe in a hell. The Koran is considered the direct word of god and describes a hell where people are tortured, I believe the Koran is also included in Baha'i's scriptures.

And thanks for your post "Just wondering". I'm happy that even though for a "short time" you considered the Baha'i Faith... Actually in my view as a Baha'i the Bible is referred to..that is some of verses of the Gospels and as well as the Qur'an are referred to as well... but as Baha'is we do not subscribe to "hell" as some Christians believe. We believe symbolic language is used that refers to spiritual conditions rather than any literal "lake of fire or sulfer". The revealed Writings of the Baha'i Faith which we call the "Baha'i Writings" are the primary source of authority in our Faith as well as the interpretations of Abdul-Baha the Son of Baha'u'llah and Shoghi Effendi the appointed Guardian of the Faith until his passing in 1957.

I will provide here some citations from the Writings that convey the Baha'i view of "hell"

Be ye a rich treasure to every indigent one; consider love and union as a delectable paradise, and count annoyance and hostility as the torment of hell-fire.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 356)

"he
lover's intense suffering because of distance from the beloved to hell-fire. And, of course, this is the Bahá'í definition of hell -- existential distance from the divine beloved."

(Qasídiy-i-Varqá'íyyih, Baha'u'llah's Notes on Qasidiyyih-Varqaiyyih - Cole)

Our body is like the cage, and the spirit is like the bird. We see that without the cage this bird flies in the world of sleep; therefore, if the cage becomes broken, the bird will continue and exist. Its feelings will be even more powerful, its perceptions greater, and its happiness increased. In truth, from hell it reaches a paradise of delights because for the thankful birds there is no paradise greater than freedom from the cage.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 228)