• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would like to donate some liver

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There's a young lady that goes to AA who needs a liver transplant.

I've decided I would like to donate her a chunk of my liver.

I know multiple tests have to confirm that my liver is worth it, but blood tests show that I have a relatively healthy liver.

The liver is an organ that you can put a chunk of it into somebody, and it can grow into a full new liver.

I plan on texting the offer today, but thought I would run it past RF first.

To donate someone a chunk of my liver would be the coolest thing I've ever done and the most meaningful thing.:cool:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I, as a RF Admin, forbid it!

Just kidding. So long as your doctor says you are physically and mentally healthy enough for surgery, go for it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I, as a RF Admin, forbid it!

Just kidding. So long as your doctor says you are physically and mentally healthy enough for surgery, go for it.
Approval from an administrator was all that I needed. Thank you! :innocent:

the worst thing that could happen to me is I die. The best thing that could happen to me is I die.

Jesus will tell me on Judgement Day, I needed a new liver... What you did for the least of my people you did for me!:thumbsup:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
She very well might turn down my offer, but I live in walking distance of Saint Joseph's hospital and can easily go there to take the tests necessary.

If she takes me up on the offer, I will immediately be Googling the process that I have to go through, and then to make the necessary phone call.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You are a great compassionate dude for wanting to give up part of your liver for saving somebody else. I've donated plasma to medically help others, but honestly, I wouldn't have done it if I didn't get paid my $50 donor's fee. I've thought about selling one of my kidneys after learning it is worth more than $25,000 on the black market.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think that you are awesome @PopeADope.
Thanks! I don't think I'm awesome, to be honest with you. Once the pain from the surgery is over, she will have done me almost as much good as I've done her.

What I mean is, sometimes giving is receiving. If I potentially saved a life and restored somebody to good health, it would make me feel good and like my life was worth it, and that would be priceless reward imo.

I only have her boyfriend's number, but I'll be sending him a text tonight to ask her.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Noble deed but becareful, if you have a history of alcohol consumption especially if you're in Alcoholics Anonymous you may not qualify just as the recipient may not be priority (hospitals don't see an alcoholic who consciously ruined a liver in need of a new one a priority cause they may also ruin the new one if they aren't over their addiction). The same can be said for those who are in need for a liver transplant and they suffer from cirrhosis mor elikely than not, unless you have a lot of money, you will be at the bottom of the list of donor recipients.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Noble deed but becareful, if you have a history of alcohol consumption especially if you're in Alcoholics Anonymous you may not qualify just as the recipient may not be priority (hospitals don't see an alcoholic who consciously ruined a liver in need of a new one a priority cause they may also ruin the new one if they aren't over their addiction). The same can be said for those who are in need for a liver transplant and they suffer from cirrhosis mor elikely than not, unless you have a lot of money, you will be at the bottom of the list of donor recipients.
I've only had a few relapses in the last 3 years. I've been sober well over 99% of the time. The recent blood tests that I've had show no detectable damage to the liver.

Alcohol was not my drug of choice, and I've never been physically addicted to it.

The only thing I've actually had physical withdrawals from was benzodiazepines and that was many years ago.

But you are probably right that a doctor won't want to do the operation unless there is promise that she's done drinking.

Bottom line is though, she needs a liver transplant or she's going to die without a miracle.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I've only had a few relapses in the last 3 years. I've been sober well over 99% of the time. The recent blood tests that I've had show no detectable damage to the liver.

Alcohol was not my drug of choice, and I've never been physically addicted to it.

The only thing I've actually had physical withdrawals from was benzodiazepines and that was many years ago.

But you are probably right that a doctor won't want to do the operation unless there is promise that she's done drinking.

Bottom line is though, she needs a liver transplant or she's going to die without a miracle.

Well if you have no liver damage then what about her?

If she is in AA then obviously she has abused alcohol and quite possibly her liver.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well if you have no liver damage then what about her?

If she is in AA then obviously she has abused alcohol and quite possibly her liver.
Yes, she has severe cirrhosis of the liver that cannot be reversed as a result of alcoholism.

She seems very committed to sobriety though.

Now that I've made the offer though, I'm not going to go back on it. I'm a man of my word.

I only have her boyfriend's number, and he was very pleased with the text and said he would pass it on to her.

I haven't received a response back yet as to whether or not she's interested in the offer.

if she is, I will be immediately contacting Saint Joseph's Hospital to find out what steps I need to take to make this work.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If the hospital refuses to give her the operation because she was an alcohol abuser, and just tells her she's out of luck (and lets her die), that's f***** up!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Have you two been genetically tested to see if you are compatible? Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years the odds are that she will not be able to take your liver. But if possible good luck to you!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If the hospital refuses to give her the operation because she was an alcohol abuser, and just tells her she's out of luck (and lets her die), that's f***** up!
Hospitals have limited resources. They sometimes have to prioritize patients. Giving a liver to an alcoholic may be thought to be wasting an operation and wasting an organ.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Have you two been genetically tested to see if you are compatible? Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years the odds are that she will not be able to take your liver. But if possible good luck to you!
I have never been tested to see if I'm worthy of donating an organ before.

There will be a lot of hoops that I'm going to have to go jump through, no doubt.

It might be that she turns down my offer, I simply don't know.

It would just really make me feel good if I could donate an organ to keep somebody alive.

The liver is the perfect organ for that, because the liver repairs itself better than any other organ, and if I donate half my liver, it is likely that the missing half will grow back.

It is not like donating a kidney.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hospitals have limited resources. They sometimes have to prioritize patients. Giving a liver to an alcoholic may be thought to be wasting an operation and wasting an organ.
It's complicated because sometimes a body rejects another person's liver as well.

But now that I've made the offer, it's too late. I'm not going to go back on that

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have never been tested to see if I'm worthy of donating an organ before.

There will be a lot of hoops that I'm going to have to go jump through, no doubt.

It might be that she turns down my offer, I simply don't know.

It would just really make me feel good if I could donate an organ to keep somebody alive.

The liver is the perfect organ for that, because the liver repairs itself better than any other organ, and if I donate half my liver, it is likely that the missing half will grow back.

It is not like donating a kidney.

They are not hoops. The odds are huge that her body would reject your liver. It is not a matter of being worthy or not, if you pick any two random people the odds are that they will not be compatible when it comes to an organ transplant. I do not think they will charge you anything to see if your organ could live in her body, so you don't have to worry about that:

Facts about organ donation | UNOS