• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would it change anything?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If it weren't for the dangling carrot of heaven and the threat of eternal torture in hell, would you still be a christian?
Your premise is faulty. Since Christianity isn't predicated upon a rewards-based paradigm, there is no "carrot" to "dangle."

LogDog

I personally don't follow God because of any promise of "Heaven" or any threat of "Hell". I don't honestly believe that there are many Christians that do.

Thanks for your reply. I'd suggest that the expected value of believing is greater than the expected value of not believing and that this notion has led many to define themselves as christian.

Did it ever occur to you, Logdog, that some of us are Christians because of the teachings of Jesus or some other reason?

Sure.

You are an atheist--Do you believe in, hmmm, let's say evolution because you think there is a reward if you do or a penalty if you don't believe in it?

The theory of evolution doesn't promise anything.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Absolutely. I'm a Christian because of Jesus Christ. Christ is truth. Christ is the only thing that is right in my life.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. I'd suggest that the expected value of believing is greater than the expected value of not believing and that this notion has led many to define themselves as christian.

Sure.

The theory of evolution doesn't promise anything.

I know, that was my point.

A

angellous_evangellous

If it weren't for the dangling carrot of heaven and the threat of eternal torture in hell, would you still be a christian?

Perhaps some atheists are just as stupid to characterize Christianity in this way as the people who follow Christianity like a rabbit after the carrot stick. I suppose thoughtless religious fundamentalism has its dualistic parallel with dogmatic, proseltyzing atheism.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Perhaps some atheists are just as stupid to characterize Christianity in this way as the people who follow Christianity like a rabbit after the carrot stick. I suppose thoughtless religious fundamentalism has its dualistic parallel with dogmatic, proseltyzing atheism.
He shoots... HE SCORES! The crowd goes wild! :D

A

angellous_evangellous

He shoots... HE SCORES! The crowd goes wild! :D

It doesn't please me to see slime like this. Many atheists appreciate the humanist qualities of religion, and I'm thankful that like dogmatic theists, dogmatic atheists appear at least to me to be as repulsed by artless (atheist) propoganda as the rest of us are by evangelical dribble.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
OTOH, most atheists probably get Pascal's Wager thrown at them more often than most theists do. I imagine that this might skew each group's estimate of what an "average Christian" believes.

LogDog

Did the expected value of believing and the expected value of not believing play any role in your decision to follow christianity? Since Pascal's Wager is a common argument put forth by theists to suggest to nonbelievers that christianity is a reasonable world view, I would assume that many converts found the argument compelling.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Did the expected value of believing and the expected value of not believing play any role in your decision to follow christianity? Since Pascal's Wager is a common argument put forth by theists to suggest to nonbelievers that christianity is a reasonable world view, I would assume that many converts found the argument compelling.

You have totally the wrong picture....
Faith never comes from winning or losing arguments.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
If I were to die tommorow and that were the end then my life as a Christian would still have been totally wortwhile. But that is not the case.

A

angellous_evangellous

There's a big difference between weighing the virtue of belief and a rabbit mindlessly following a carrot (as in your pathetic excuse for an OP). You're forsaking your own charicature!

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Pascal's Wager was found to be faulty logic.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Can you offer any Scripture to prove that point?
Plenty...

Ephesians 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. NIV

We have it all- NOW! Notice the tense!

Luke 11:17 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: "Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall. 18 If Satan is divided against himself, how can his kingdom stand? I say this because you claim that I drive out demons by Beelzebub. 19 Now if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your followers drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 20But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come to you.
NIV

Here we have it handed to us!

Colossians 1:13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. NIV

Again, notice the tense of "brought". We are in the Kingdom of heaven. If heaven is communion with God, then I have it RIGHT NOW.