• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worship of Shiva lingam

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste,

I know some of you are at odds with electronic music, but I found this song, and I really like it, so I share it. Hope you like it, too. :)

The lyrics and translation I found in my prayer book but the song made me curious about learning something about lingam worship. How must a lingam be kept and treated? What are the scriptures used in context with lingam worship? Thanks for your replies.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The lingam is a focal point in many Hindu temples. In the South of India, it is the main deity in many of those great Saiva temples like those in Madurai, Thanjavur, Aunaleswarar, and more.

As for 'rules' that varies from sect to sect, like a lot of other things. But it represents the formless form, ParaBrahman, Parashiva, the mark of God. So the vibration is one of awe, incomprehensible.

We have a small metal one in our shrine room, and you don't see them just sitting much, generally they are worshipped, if they are in a home at all. But that's just in my tradition.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
How must a lingam be kept and treated? What are the scriptures used in context with lingam worship?

I have a tiny black jade lingam and green jade Nandi on a small tray in my shrine. I have them arranged with the lingam pointing north, and Nandi facing the lingam, as he would in a temple. Though my puja is for Krishna I also pay respects to Shiva and other deities. I pour a couple of spoonfuls of water over the lingam and Nandi and chant a few prayers.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I fondly remember a "Rudrabhishekam" I performed decades ago at our family temple, bare-bodied with safron silk veshti (dhoti), yajnopavita around my shoulders. There are various views about lingam at home. Some people do not favor it. There are views that lingam should only be at the temple. In our family niche, the ligam sat or a silver throne with a gold canopy (Chhatra). My grandpa died and we moved away from our ancestral place. The worship was carried on for 40 years by a brahmin family who were the care-takers for the house. Finally, we handed over the throne and our house to that family at less than the market rate as promised by my father to his grandmother. It was a small house.

ajay0

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider the Shivalingam to actually represent God Shiva as an incorporeal point of light.

The Shivalingam is also known as Jyotirlingam with 'Jyoti' meaning light.

As per the Brahmakumaris, the right form of worship of Shivalingam is to perceive it as a point of light, and to meditate on it with love.

A female enlightened master of Kerala named Shivayogini Matha (1923-1981) also similarly worshiped the Shivalingam during her days of sadhana, perceiving it as a flame of lamp consecrated in her heart (in her own words).

Hrtpadma karnika madhye, sthira dipa nibhakrtim I
angustha matram, acalam, dhyayed om karam Tsvaram II

One should contemplate on "om" as Isvara in the heart
resembling an unflickering flame.
— Dhyana Bindu Upanisad, XIX

Laddu1

Namaste,

I know some of you are at odds with electronic music, but I found this song, and I really like it, so I share it. Hope you like it, too. :)

The lyrics and translation I found in my prayer book but the song made me curious about learning something about lingam worship. How must a lingam be kept and treated? What are the scriptures used in context with lingam worship? Thanks for your replies.
@Sirona I like the song!:)