• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World in chaos

InChrist

Free4ever
Events have always taken place. :sleep:
Very true, I'm not disagreeing with that fact. Just saying that certain events Jesus Christ highlighted which would indicate the nearness of the end of the age are either taking shape or taking place now.

But if you prefer to sleep, go ahead.

Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning— lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!” Mark 13;35-37

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Very true, I'm not disagreeing with that fact. Just saying that certain events Jesus Christ highlighted which would indicate the nearness of the end of the age are either taking shape or taking place now.

But if you prefer to sleep, go ahead.

Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning— lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!” Mark 13;35-37
That's what I'm saying: Those things have always taken place. For the last 2000 years -- and before.

But if you prefer to be Chicken Little, go ahead.

I prefer Psalm 91 as a spiritual attitude.

allfoak

Alchemist
i am master over my own house.

gifje-timmermannen-1351581.gif

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I have no desire to scare anyone and lying is not an acceptable behavior from my position as believer and servant of Jesus Christ.
If lies are not acceptable - why are you relying on them? The quote you posted is absolutely shameful, no mate there is no evidence of an increase in earthquakes - we do not have the data for earlier centuries. Whoever wrote the quote you posted is a moron - so how does he conclude that the evidence for an increase jn earthquakes is 'very strong'? Answer: Well he just says that the ancients wrote about earthquakes - therefore the evidence for an increase in earthquakes is 'very strong'.

Did you read that quote, or just post it because you thought it supported your claim? Do you honestly believe that the fact that the ancients wrote about earthquakes is very strong evidence that they are increasing? Really? How is the fact that the ancients wrote about them in any conceivable manner dvidence that they are increasing? It's not is it? It is just a lie.
I simply see the importance of being aware of the conditions taking place on earth as they relate to biblical prophecy.

"Why is the planet Earth experiencing more major earthquakes? Some argue that within the last 20 years, we have had an increase in the number of earthquake reporting due to the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations worldwide and the global communications Improvements in various earthquake detection technologies, according to America Daily Herald.
However, these arguments ignore the fact that ancient people around the world have always been writing about earthquakes and natural disasters since 3,000 BCE, which was a few centuries following the invention of writing by the Sumerians living in Mesopotamia (3,500 BCE). They may not have employed the scientific geophysical language of seismology, but careful analysis of their explanations of events shows that they were describing earthquakes. Therefore, the evidence for an increase in earthquakes worldwide is very strong."

Op-Ed: Are Earthquakes Increasing Globally?

Uh huh....soooo because they DESCRIBE earthquakes, therefore they are increasing? Does that really make sense to you?

If they wrote about floods, does that somehow show that floods are increasing? A: No.
If they wrote about cats, does that somehow show that cats are on the increase? A: No.

How does the fact that they wrote about something provide strong evidence of a recent increase? A: Not in anyway whatsoever.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
That's what I'm saying: Those things have always taken place. For the last 2000 years -- and before.

But if you prefer to be Chicken Little, go ahead.

I prefer Psalm 91 as a spiritual attitude.

Some things which are occurring now have not taken place during the last 2000 years and do you think Jesus was just wasting words when He said to "Watch" if there was nothing specific to watch for?

I love Psalm 91, but the reality is that many do not know the presence of God or have that peace or trust in the safety and salvation of the Lord or see God as their refuse and fortress in times of trouble.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some things which are occurring now have not taken place during the last 2000 years and do you think Jesus was just wasting words when He said to "Watch" if there was nothing specific to watch for?

I love Psalm 91, but the reality is that many do not know the presence of God or have that peace or trust in the safety and salvation of the Lord or see God as their refuse and fortress in times of trouble.

Watch for Jesus presence. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. Rev 3:20 Over eating and drinking and the anxieties of life will make a person so spiritually drowsy she won't hear Jesus knocking.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

I think the gospel writers were mistaken about the parousia.

InChrist

Free4ever
I
How does the fact that they wrote about something provide strong evidence of a recent increase? A: Not in anyway whatsoever.

The fact that ancient people wrote about earthquakes does not prove that they are now increasing and that is not the point of the article or is it what I am saying. That ancient people wrote about or recorded earthquakes simply shows that events such as earthquakes were kept and recorded and by comparing those records with more current records it can be earthquake activity can be compared.

Besides, although you seem to be stuck on the earthquake subject, I'm not and actually think earthquakes are one of the minor indications of the nearness to the end of the age or return of Christ since He said these would occur in various places and be the beginning of sorrows. But I do believe there has been a rise in earthquake and volcanic activity recently. You are certainly free to have a different opinion, but I really don't appreciate being called a liar because you don't agree with my perspective.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think the gospel writers were mistaken about the parousia.

Okay, you're certainly free to have your own thoughts on the subject, but I believe the gospel writers and that God has preserved His word for the purpose of passing on important information to any who choose to read and believe.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Okay, for example: if my life is submitted to Jesus Christ and I am committed to living for Him instead of myself then when a situation comes up where I faced with a choice either to get my way or benefit my own interests by rationalization, cheating, force, oppression, manipulation, violence, etc. or put the well-being and interests of others first as Jesus and God's Word instructs then I desire to love and serve God by serving others before myself. This concept can work on a community, political, and corporate level and I believe this attitude of submitting to God would make much more of an impact on individual lives, world events and the environment than fighting for change.

Rather than submitting to some nebulous "creator", I think recognizing one's self as part of the interconnected web of all life, fostering respect and honorable behavior, cherishing freedom, independence, creativity and fostering small-scale community bonds will produce more practical benefits.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Okay, you're certainly free to have your own thoughts on the subject, but I believe the gospel writers and that God has preserved His word for the purpose of passing on important information to any who choose to read and believe.
I believe that after 2000 years we have objective evidence about how well that is working.

Tom

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Let's grant that the authors of the texts (mainly the author of revelations) were told by God about such signs and further that they would indicate what you state. Do you have any information you can present about the frequency of the occurrences of such signs within merely the past 2,000 years?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The fact that ancient people wrote about earthquakes does not prove that they are now increasing and that is not the point of the article or is it what I am saying. That ancient people wrote about or recorded earthquakes simply shows that events such as earthquakes were kept and recorded and by comparing those records with more current records it can be earthquake activity can be compared.
So if that does not show that earthquakes are increasing - why did the author of your quote soecifically say that it was strong evidence that they were increasing? So you agree that it is not evidence of an increase, but posted a quote where the author states that it IS evidence of an increase -why post a quote that you do not agree with?
Besides, although you seem to be stuck on the earthquake subject, I'm not and actually think earthquakes are one of the minor indications of the nearness to the end of the age or return of Christ since He said these would occur in various places and be the beginning of sorrows. But I do believe there has been a rise in earthquake and volcanic activity recently. You are certainly free to have a different opinion, but I really don't appreciate being called a liar because you don't agree with my perspective.

It is not because I disagree with your perspective, it's because you are being dishonest - there is no way to know if earthquakes are increasing or not. You posted a quote that makes a claim (that the references to earthquakes in ancient texts is strong evidence of an increase) which you then agree is not evidence of an increase at all.

Why not be honest? If you are going to try to strike fear into people by claiming that the end is nigh - why not give examples that you know are true, rather than that you can not know to be true?

Lies can not lead people to your god.

InChrist

Free4ever
So if that does not show that earthquakes are increasing - why did the author of your quote soecifically say that it was strong evidence that they were increasing? So you agree that it is not evidence of an increase, but posted a quote where the author states that it IS evidence of an increase -why post a quote that you do not agree with?

It is not because I disagree with your perspective, it's because you are being dishonest - there is no way to know if earthquakes are increasing or not. You posted a quote that makes a claim (that the references to earthquakes in ancient texts is strong evidence of an increase) which you then agree is not evidence of an increase at all.

Why not be honest? If you are going to try to strike fear into people by claiming that the end is nigh - why not give examples that you know are true, rather than that you can not know to be true?

Lies can not lead people to your god.

I am being no more dishonest than you are in claiming "we have no data". I could be wrong, but at this point I believe there is available data on earthquakes from the past. Maybe not to the extent of today's data, but still records. I think the reality is that you simply disagree with my perspective and don't like it enough that you have digressed and succumbed to personal attacks and name-calling.

From my view, the biblical prophecies are not intended to strike fear into people. rather they are to given to provide awareness of events and situations, some of which may be frightening, but answers, hope, and peace are always available for anyone.

Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Matthew 24:12-35

Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.” Luke 21:29

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

InChrist

Free4ever
Let's grant that the authors of the texts (mainly the author of revelations) were told by God about such signs and further that they would indicate what you state. Do you have any information you can present about the frequency of the occurrences of such signs within merely the past 2,000 years?

I don't necessarily think it is the frequency of such signs that indicate of the end of the age as much as the signs themselves and the most important one of the last 2000 years is the fact that Israel is now a nation again.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I don't necessarily think it is the frequency of such signs that indicate of the end of the age as much as the signs themselves and the most important one of the last 2000 years is the fact that Israel is now a nation again.

I don't think 'Israel' means that in the Bible..can you provide verses?

Sees

Dragonslayer

Concerning Jesus' signs which the generation that shall not pass sees, which verse is the one mentioning Israel becoming a state/nation again?

I also wonder what will happen with all this Bible prophecy stuff 30 years from now when most all of that "rebirth of Israel generation" has indeed passed.

InChrist

Free4ever
Concerning Jesus' signs which the generation that shall not pass sees, which verse is the one mentioning Israel becoming a state/nation again?

I also wonder what will happen with all this Bible prophecy stuff 30 years from now when most all of that "rebirth of Israel generation" has indeed passed.

[FONT=&quot]“Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Matthew 24:32-35[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

The fig tree Jesus refers to is Israel. It's been [FONT=&quot]66 years [/FONT] since Israel was once again declared a nation against all worldly odds. Jesus promised that the generation which witnessed fulfillment of this prophecy would not die off until all the things of which he spoke came to pass. [/FONT]

If thirty years pass and the generation that saw the rebirth of Israel dies off then I'd say you may have a valid reason to question the way many Christians and prophecy teachers have interpreted the scriptures. But with the technology in place as it is today for the possibility of global government control, the potential for worldwide nuclear devastation, the genetic altering of food crops, anti-biotic resistant bacteria on the rise, unrest in the Middle East, along with Israel's existence as a nation I think the final end time events portrayed in the book of Revelation and the return of Christ are very near.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I am being no more dishonest than you are in claiming "we have no data". I could be wrong, but at this point I believe there is available data on earthquakes from the past.

Ok, then what was the frequency of earthquakes worldwide for any decade you care to select between 1ACE and 1900 ACE? My point was honest, yours was not - you can not give earthquake frequency data for ANYperiod other then the last few decades and you know it - hence the dishonesty.
Maybe not to the extent of today's data, but still records. I think the reality is that you simply disagree with my perspective and don't like it enough that you have digressed and succumbed to personal attacks and name-calling.

Well correct me then - give the data for ANY decade outside of the 20th century for earthquake frequency?
From my view, the biblical prophecies are not intended to strike fear into people. rather they are to given to provide awareness of events and situations, some of which may be frightening, but answers, hope, and peace are always available for anyone.

Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Matthew 24:12-35

Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.” Luke 21:29

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
InChrist

I would be happy to apologise unreservedly for questioning your honesty. Please supply the data for earthquake frequency for any period prior to the 20th century and I will apologise for calling you a liar and saying that you are being dishonest. If you really do have this information and I made a mistake - just show me the data ok?