• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wonderful news!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The FTC has banned nearly all noncompete job agreements for nearly all jobs! F9r those who don't know, these agreements prohibit employers from working for a competing company, often even years after employment has ended. However with these gone for nearly all employees now they have the freedom to change jobs and stay in their field. If an employer is a bad one employees can now leave for the same work. A better job position come up? These garbage agreements can no longer hold people back.
It's definitely a win for all, except crappy employers who demand and expect loyalty from workers.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The vote was 3 to 2 along party lines. The dissenting commissioners, Melissa Holyoke and Andrew Ferguson, argued that the FTC was overstepping the boundaries of its power.
Another example of Republicans doing everything they can to help corporations and hurt working people.
If it's good for the middle class, Republicans will be against it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The FTC has banned nearly all noncompete job agreements for nearly all jobs! F9r those who don't know, these agreements prohibit employers from working for a competing company, often even years after employment has ended. However with these gone for nearly all employees now they have the freedom to change jobs and stay in their field. If an employer is a bad one employees can now leave for the same work. A better job position come up? These garbage agreements can no longer hold people back.
It's definitely a win for all, except crappy employers who demand and expect loyalty from workers.
I heard.
Some non-compete agreements are indeed
appropriate, albeit relatively rare IMO.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Another example of Republicans doing everything they can to help corporations....
Non-compete agreements in cases where there's no
highly valuable proprietary expertise actually harm
corporations, & business in general. This is because
a portion of a qualified workforce is prevented from
their highest & best uses.
So this ruling is very pro-capitalist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another example of Republicans doing everything they can to help corporations and hurt working people.
If it's good for the middle class, Republicans will be against it.
Yeah, Kentucky is regressing to Indiana levels to do away with work breaks.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Non-compete agreements in cases where there's no
highly valuable proprietary expertise actually harm
corporations, & business in general.
Yeah. But I had one in a warehouse and the gas station I worked for (that one was so absurd it extended to family).
So this ruling is very pro-capitalist.
As I said it's a win for almost everyone. It's not pro-capitalist, it's pro-worker, pro-reason and pro-freedom. Those are in scarce supply today.
But that gas station I worked for? Itbwas handbook policy that vacation time is when employees are to pursue personal interests, so they definitely get less control than they want out of this.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I'd be interested to learn what the exceptions are. I know hairdressers have always been subject to these, because they tend to take the customers with them.

I remember in England years ago I had jobs in IT that had these clauses in the contracts. Then someone challenged it in court, won, and it went away.

One bit of advice to anyone taking a job. Read the employment contract carefully and if you don't like something, ask for it to be removed. If they want you badly enough they will often agree. DO NOT however believe them when they say something like "Oh, we'd never hold anyone to that". Get it in writing, that vague assurance will mean nothing when the time comes.

Pogo

I'd be interested to learn what the exceptions are. I know hairdressers have always been subject to these, because they tend to take the customers with them.

I remember in England years ago I had jobs in IT that had these clauses in the contracts. Then someone challenged it in court, won, and it went away.

One bit of advice to anyone taking a job. Read the employment contract carefully and if you don't like something, ask for it to be removed. If they want you badly enough they will often agree. DO NOT however believe them when they say something like "Oh, we'd never hold anyone to that". Get it in writing, that vague assurance will mean nothing when the time comes.
Well said.
It still costs you money to argue it even if they know it is wrong and it is even cheaper for them if you believe it in spite of it's illegality. Nothing says they have to tell you the truth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah. But I had one in a warehouse and the gas station I worked for (that one was so absurd it extended to family).
That is a ridiculous use of the agreement.
As I said it's a win for almost everyone. It's not pro-capitalist, it's pro-worker, pro-reason and pro-freedom.
That's pro capitalist.
You also left out pro business....the businesses
who want to hire the otherwise prohibited
workers.
Don't take the view that all regulation is
anti capitalist, or anti company. When there's
net benefit for all, & the market is freer than
before.....woohoo!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Don't take the view that all regulation is
anti capitalist, or anti company. When there's
net benefit for all, & the market is freer than
before.....woohoo!
The only thing I've said its anti for is crap employers who can no longer chain employees to an a bad work environment, especially those in fields more specialized than a gas station (although some prefer that to food service and regular retail).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The only thing I've said its anti for is crap employers who can no longer chain employees to an a bad work environment, especially those in fields more specialized than a gas station (although some prefer that to food service and regular retail).
Crap employers deserve to lose that tool.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would not mind a reasonable "non-compete" agreement. Of course to be reasonable a company would have to agree to pay me until the non-compete ran out. After all, it is only fair. It is their secrets that they are protecting.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would not mind a reasonable "non-compete" agreement. Of course to be reasonable a company would have to agree to pay me until the non-compete ran out. After all, it is only fair. It is their secrets that they are protecting.
That's what I was thinking. A golden parachute to keep finances afloat should one be let go early until the agreement is fulfilled.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you think it's real and never push it, it is as good as enforced. They know that and nothing says they can't write BS, it is only an issue if you call them on it and then they let you go.
Pretty much. It wasn't a good employer and big chunk of the employees, myself included, all went to the same highschool (this was in rural Indiana, in the middle of wheat and corn fields and very near to Grissom ARB). The turnover rate was very high and it had other questionable and even illegal policies. But only a few were legally old enough to drink so it probably still gets away with lots of crap.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's what I was thinking. A golden parachute to keep finances afloat should one be let go early until the agreement is fulfilled.
Ive seen entirely different contracts that cover that, agreements not to discuss trade secrets such as operations, plans, technologies, recipes and so on.
A food processing plant a temp agency sent me to has a contract claiming ownership over any recipes you create (Disney is reported to have similar contract that claims ownership over every thing artists in their employment come up with).

Alien826

No religious beliefs
If you think it's real and never push it, it is as good as enforced. They know that and nothing says they can't write BS, it is only an issue if you call them on it and then they let you go.

Here's another way. They find out you are applying for another job. Maybe you use them as a reference. They then threaten the potential employer with legal action. Doesn't cost much, just a letter from a lawyer. The potential employer doesn't want a lot of fuss, so they choose another applicant for the job. You never know this has happened, you just wonder why what seemed like a promising interview didn't result in a job offer. OR you do find out and decide to sue them. Then you find out how much lawyers cost and how long it will drag on in the courts and, unless you can get some organization with deep pockets like the ACLU to support you, you decide it's not worth it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's another way. They find out you are applying for another job. Maybe you use them as a reference. They then threaten the potential employer with legal action.
The potential employer isn't a party to the agreement.
So threat of legal action is just micturating into the wind.

Whenever I'd received idle legal threats, I'd respond....
"Be sure to get my name spelled correctly."