• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Without God(s), what is the point?!

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
No I didn't.

"Sometimes I wish it were true"
i.e. that we die and know no more

"But alas, I don't think that I can get away with treating others badly,"
i.e. I will likely suffer for my sins

We are all sinners, regardless of religious persuasion.

Of course, I know why atheists want to discuss this subject.
..because scriptures suggest that disbelievers will suffer in a life hereafter.
This is TRUE. Yet NOBODY is safe from suffering in a life hereafter, despite many people claiming so.
But I don't treat people badly or behave immorally, so why do you think you probably would if there was no god (which is what you said).

KWED

It is pointless !
I know what I intended by my remark, while you only guess.
The problem is that you used certain words in a certain order to express what you meant. If that wasn't what you meant, you need to consider your words more carefully.

Top Tip: when you write a post, read it back to yourself and ask "is there any other possible meaning to be inferred from these words other than the one I was hoping to express?"
Then try and argue against your own post to see if you can spot any flaws. Only then, click "post reply".

KWED

You obviously don't understand it...why, I don't know as the verses explain it clearly.
If you blindly follow dogma, you will post religious platitudes with a certainty that they explain everything.

If someone doesn't see the point and asks you to explain it in non-dogmatic terms, and you can't, it suggests that you don't understand it yourself and you are merely repeating stuff you have acquired elsewhere.

KWED

Nope. He's completely other. We are like him in having spirits. God isn't like us ... Are you omniscient, omnipotent, infinite, immutable, completely self-sufficient, omnipresent, perfect in every possible way, and incapable of failure?
So we definitely aren't created in his image then.
Glad we finally cleared that up.

KWED

..and there lies the reason your mind wants to engage in this pettiness.
You accuse believers of having no human decency, so as to proudly think you are superior.
What bunkum. :rolleyes:
Wrong again. Many religious people are decent human beings who hold a moral framework not unlike my own.
The point is that not only is belief in god unnecessary for being a decent human, it can lead people into terrible behaviour - especially if they follow religious teachings and morality to the letter, without allowing any change to suit a changing world. You have railed against changing morality to suit circumstances yourself. Yet at the same time, you have appeared to try and distance yourself from those elements of divine morality that you are uncomfortable with.
It must be so difficult for many religionists.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
If you blindly follow dogma, you will post religious platitudes with a certainty that they explain everything.

If someone doesn't see the point and asks you to explain it in non-dogmatic terms, and you can't, it suggests that you don't understand it yourself and you are merely repeating stuff you have acquired elsewhere.
What do you mean by non dogmatic terms?

muhammad_isa

The whole civilised world has changed its moral position on slavery over the last couple of centuries - but you consider this to be a mistake? Yikes!
More rubbish !
We are all a product of our upbringing and environment.
That is one reason why we have different opinions about things.
We have all experienced different things [ or not ! ]

muhammad_isa

The problem is that you used certain words in a certain order to express what you meant..

Yeah, and you are a time-waster, who wants to pick holes in a believer's posts.
I said what I meant by that post.
Believe about me as you like .. and I will believe about you as I like.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
No. You are reading something into my post which isn't there.
Of course you did, don't be silly.

Wildswanderer said:
..Without God you are.... a nothing made for no reason and going nowhere but in the dirt.

Sometimes I wish it were true.
But alas, I don't think that I can get away with treating others badly, while I profit through immorality.

Then you laughably tried to pretend your response to that very specific claim was not about a deity, and now are digging this rather hilarious pit deeper with each new denial, and the accompanying string of false straw men claims I have never made.

..and there lies the reason your mind wants to engage in this pettiness.

Ah, we are already into the ad hominem phase of your rhetoric. To be fair you were burning up the straw men at an alarming rate.

You accuse believers of having no human decency,

Nope, I have never ever made any such claim. Tell me again about pettiness?

so as to proudly think you are superior.

Nope, I have literally never made any such claim, and it was you who asserted that without your belief in a deity you think that you can get away with treating others badly, while profiting through immorality. You even wished it was so, and I have quoted it above and the post you responded to for context. So this latest false straw man is pretty hilarious.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
muhammad_isa said:
Core Christian/Muslim values do not change.

Firstly it is pretty hilarious to talk of morality, and think that is a good thing morals be tied to the posthumous cobbled together ravings of a 13th century warlord and paedophile, secondly are you kidding me? So all Muslims and Christians have identical core morality? What a spectacularly stupid claim. So you share the core morality pf ISIS, and all the Christians here share the core morality of the KKK?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Then just acknowledged that you misspoke or were not clear and correct yourself.

All anyone has to do is follow the 4 or five steps back using the links to the posts, to see he was responding to a post that made a specific claim (@Wildswanderer) about the existence of a deity, and he leaped on it, and implied he sometimes wished that it were not true, so he could treat people badly and profit from immorality, that is literally what he said. Ironically implying atheists are immoral and profit from immorality, but ironically then making up all manner of false claims that I had demeaned the morality of theists, when I did nothing of the sort, you really have to laugh. Though by now it is what i have come to expect.

Reactions: ppp

muhammad_isa

The debate topic was "Without God(s), what is the point?!"
It was not about claims and evidence.
That's all that interests them "false claims".

With every action, there is an intention behind it.
Almighty God knows the intention of every one of us, but
they deny God, and claim to know what we all intend themselves. :)

ppp

The debate topic was "Without God(s), what is the point?!"
It was not about claims and evidence.
It absolutely is about claims and evidence. Anybody speaking on the subject he is making a claim about the relationship between a god and the proverbial point.