• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Without God(s), what is the point?!

muhammad_isa

That I can be saved by grace and not by keeping the law. That I'm not under bondage to either the law or to sin but can live free by the power of the Holy Spirit.
That is not the "Catholic" [Orthodox] faith..

Christians should not put the 10 commandments in the bin.

muhammad_isa

..But if we do sin, we have an advocate. It doesn't cancel out our salvation.
Yes .. .. .. but I don't like the idea of being in hell for even a few hours. :eek:
Orthodox Christian faith teaches that we don't automatically go to heaven .. there is a price for sin.
Of course, Almighty God forgives whomsoever He wills .. but we all get what we deserve. Life is a serious business.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Yes .. .. .. but I don't like the idea of being in hell for even a few hours. :eek:
Orthodox Christian faith teaches that we don't automatically go to heaven .. there is a price for sin.
Of course, Almighty God forgives whomsoever He wills .. but we all get what we deserve. Life is a serious business.
Purgatory doesn't exist... It's nowhere in Scripture.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It's common sense.
Belief in God is not a license to do whatever you like and get away with it.
We suffer in this life, so why is it impossible in the next?
Because heaven is not described as a place with suffering.
Why do you go immediately to it being a license to sin?
No one is sinless. That doesn't mean we can sin constantly without consequences here in this life.

Again, there's no reason to believe in purgatory. If it was real it would be confirmed by scripture.

muhammad_isa

Because heaven is not described as a place with suffering.
Are you a Christian who denies the existence of hell?
In the NT, Jesus teaches otherwise.

No one is sinless. That doesn't mean we can sin constantly without consequences here in this life..
What about a Christian who murders a dozen people, and then dies [ or kills themself ]. You are saying that they go directly to heaven.
I wonder what the relatives of those killed would think about that.
Is that fair? Almighty God is fair.

Again, there's no reason to believe in purgatory. If it was real it would be confirmed by scripture.
That is your opinion. Orthodox Christians interpret the Bible differently from you.
I am not going to get into a fight involving citing verses to and thro .. you can believe what you want, naturally. :)

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What about a Christian who murders a dozen people, and then dies [ or kills themself ]. You are saying that they go directly to heaven.
I wonder what the relatives of those killed would think about that.
Is that fair? Almighty God is fair.
That would depend whether he truly repented.. the apostle Paul was once a murderer... Don't think he'll be in heaven?

muhammad_isa

That would depend whether he truly repented.. the apostle Paul was once a murderer... Don't think he'll be in heaven?
You are the one who seems to know the destination of us all.. :)

I think that God's Mercy is huge .. but I can't rule out that I might go to "hell" for a while.
I do believe that anybody with a sincere faith will eventually go to heaven, regardless of what sins they might have done.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You are the one who seems to know the destination of us all.. :)

I think that God's Mercy is huge .. but I can't rule out that I might go to "hell" for a while.
I do believe that anybody with a sincere faith will eventually go to heaven, regardless of what sins they might have done.
I don't believe it if it's not written in scripture. Show me, don't tell me.

muhammad_isa

I don't believe it if it's not written in scripture. Show me, don't tell me.
See post #747..
particularly --> "I am not going to get into a fight involving citing verses to and thro"
..but..

42 And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

- Bible Mark 9 -

The above verses show how serious our sins actually are..
Jesus is not really saying that we should literally cut off our hands but to AVOID SIN.
This applies to all of us. Many atheists don't even believe in the concept of sin.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
See post #747..
particularly --> "I am not going to get into a fight involving citing verses to and thro"
..but..

42 And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

- Bible Mark 9 -

The above verses show how serious our sins actually are..
Jesus is not really saying that we should literally cut off our hands but to AVOID SIN.
This applies to all of us. Many atheists don't even believe in the concept of sin.
Divert, divert.